F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 Frenzy @ Dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by bm323
Not special, balanced imo. If your reference to all make mention of it in the sense of something negative, I would disagree. From my recollection, it became "popular" recently.
Maybe I'm beginning to see things, but I was trying to read "between the lines" - most reviewers wouldn't state bluntly "car sucked". But I could find something perceivably negative about the steering feedback everywhere, hence my statement.

Originally Posted by Shebs
Skidpad G force figure of 0.86 is actually higher than that of Edmunds Inside Line. They managed to get 0.84 only.

The skidpad figures as per Edmunds is the same as the new and much heavier 750i. The 750i has a slalom speed of 66 mph and the 535i has a slalom speed of 64.9.

The 2008 535i achieved 0.89 on the skidpad.

No wonder the 7 series and the 5 series are built on the same chassis. They ended up with the saem skipdad figures .
That is seriously ridiculous - to go back that much. I really hope it is mostly because of the tires and not the platform.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Maybe I'm beginning to see things, but I was trying to read "between the lines" - most reviewers wouldn't state bluntly "car sucked". But I could find something perceivably negative about the steering feedback everywhere, hence my statement.
My point is it appears nowhere near everywhere, until recently
Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

My point is it appears nowhere near everywhere, until recently
I don't know... I can start quoting stuff and draw this discussion into a whole new realm or prolonged, but I think we can both agree that the steering feedback is definitely something to investigate - at least for those of us, who care about steering feedback. I care, because I occasionally drive on courses and at velocities, where the difference in steering feedback and knowing the limit of adhesion are utmost important. If you aren't particularly concerned with such things, its not important. And just from a practical standpoint, you'll never "need" to drive around a track with three passengers, so the 5er does not need to be a capable track car. It needs to be a competent street machine. But to me it is nice to have a daily driver that is capable of delivering the levels of fun that E60 is capable of. And if I'm getting a newer, more expensive car, isn't it fair to expect better performance?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Members

.. but I think we can both agree that the steering feedback is definitely something to investigate ...
Definitely, no argument when you do check it out, please ensure that the F10 has (the sport auto transmission, if testing an auto or preferably with a stick since your E60 is with stick) and adaptive drive with the chassis ticked using the i-Drive in sport mode (or preferably with the toggle button in sport mode with M-sport suspension, which unfortunately is not available in the States).
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

For the track test result, Edmunds' readings are inferior to Motortrend's.Were they testing different cars?
What readings are you talking about exactly? Motortrend did not supply any Skidpad or Slalom readings; only acceleration, elasticity, and braking data.

Check your info before misleading people please .
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

I wish somebody would track test the 550i (w/Sports package of course). Edmunds latest road test on the 550i seems to indicate they liked it very much, but no actual test numbers were published. Their only criticism is the smallish trunk.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
What readings are you talking about exactly? Motortrend did not supply any Skidpad or Slalom readings; only acceleration, elasticity, and braking data.

Check your info before misleading people please .
Please apply some brain work, and try to get over your last failed thread; it's been weeks if not months. More importantly again, grow up

Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Please apply some brain work, and try to get over your last failed thread; it's been weeks if not months. More importantly again, grow up
Oh .

I see that I have hit a nerve in my last post.

Sorry, I couldn't resist it after you refered to Motor Trend acceleration data in response to Edmunds skidpad and slalom figures!

What's next ?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Petes550i
I wish somebody would track test the 550i (w/Sports package of course). Edmunds latest road test on the 550i seems to indicate they liked it very much, but no actual test numbers were published. Their only criticism is the smallish trunk.
Smallish trunk? I thought that the F10 had something like 18 cubic feet which would be just about the largest in the class.

Far more worrisome to me are the handling performance figures that another member posted in this topic which put the F10's handling performance at or below the heavier 7 Series. Say it ain't so.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

That is seriously ridiculous - to go back that much. I really hope it is mostly because of the tires and not the platform.
Unfortunately both the 750i and the 535i were on the same Goodyear Excellence tyres. And yet the 750i achieved the same skidpad figures and better slalom time.

Quick Reply: F10 Frenzy @ Dealer today