F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 Frenzy @ Dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
The 5 Series is STILL THE defining car of its class.
its the defining car of your ass!

The 5 series lost its relevance right around the time first F10 driving reviews started pouring in. You don't know what you're talking about - stick your head back into the sand and raise your hand if you wanna speak when grown ups are talking!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
The 5 series lost its relevance right around the time first F10 driving reviews started pouring in.
You are mistaken. Better know your stuff when you make allegations http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343293
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bm323
You are mistaken. Better know your stuff when you make allegations http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343293
dammit that's a lot of reviews to read

Honestly, I said what I said about relevance subjectively, so I don't see how you could argue. But I'll take some time to make sure and read up on those reviews and will come back [possibly] a changed man. BTW thanks for that link - definitely useful for someone like myself
Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Members

dammit that's a lot of reviews to read

Honestly, I said what I said about relevance subjectively, so I don't see how you could argue. But I'll take some time to make sure and read up on those reviews and will come back [possibly] a changed man. BTW thanks for that link - definitely useful for someone like myself
Should be about F10's handling, invariably the relevant topic for most as regards the F10

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Contributors

And still everybody seems to make a negative mention of the lack of feedback in the steering.

Another thing that threw me was a 0.86g skidpad figure that C&D got when they did the comparo against Infiniti and Audi (where the F10 came in last, as I'm sure, most people here know) - I expected a higher number.

Also, I tend to blame the Goodyear rubber. I am prejudiced against Goodyear, true. Still, I have a feeling that when shod with some more serious rubber, with lower profile (larger diameter rims) and wider contact patches, both feedback and skidpad numbers may improve greatly.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Members

And still everybody seems to make a negative mention of the lack of feedback in the steering.
Really? Probably the most balanced review, one pointed out by BabkenBMW in this forum http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/24/2...est/#continued

There are positive reviews eg http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle7125818.ece

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rformance.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html

The steering issue became popular in more recent reviews

Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Contributors

I didn't think that autoblog review was particularly special, actually - they've done better write-ups IMHO.

But yes, not everyone overtly states "it is bad". Every single one of them does make mention of it though.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Members

I didn't think that autoblog review was particularly special ... Every single one of them does make mention of it though.
Not special, balanced imo. If your reference to all make mention of it in the sense of something negative, I would disagree. From my recollection, it became "popular" recently.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Another thing that threw me was a 0.86g skidpad figure that C&D got when they did the comparo against Infiniti and Audi (where the F10 came in last, as I'm sure, most people here know) - I expected a higher number.

Also, I tend to blame the Goodyear rubber. I am prejudiced against Goodyear, true. Still, I have a feeling that when shod with some more serious rubber, with lower profile (larger diameter rims) and wider contact patches, both feedback and skidpad numbers may improve greatly.
Skidpad G force figure of 0.86 is actually higher than that of Edmunds Inside Line. They managed to get 0.84 only.

The skidpad figures as per Edmunds is the same as the new and much heavier 750i. The 750i has a slalom speed of 66 mph and the 535i has a slalom speed of 64.9.

The 2008 535i achieved 0.89 on the skidpad.

No wonder the 7 series and the 5 series are built on the same chassis. They ended up with the saem skipdad figures .
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
Skidpad G force figure of 0.86 is actually higher than that of Edmunds Inside Line. They managed to get 0.84 only.The skidpad figures as per Edmunds is the same as the new and much heavier 750i. The 750i has a slalom speed of 66 mph and the 535i has a slalom speed of 64.9. The 2008 535i achieved 0.89 on the skidpad. No wonder the 7 series and the 5 series are built on the same chassis. They ended up with the saem skipdad figures .
For the track test result, Edmunds' readings are inferior to Motortrend's.Were they testing different cars?

Edmunds' reading are taken from http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...automatic.html quote "Handling Comments: Slalom: With DSC off in Sport, the tires were the limiting factor."

Quick Reply: F10 Frenzy @ Dealer today