E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate Opening

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, first post on here.

I have an '06 535d Touring. About a month ago I experienced the same problem. Tailgate window popping open randomly (although not when central locking is closed) and also excessive battery discharge during the night. It seemed to coincide with our first really cold night. At the same time the rear windscreen wiper intermittently stopped working.

Finally got it to the dealer on yesterday, who were able to see the problem. Apparently the rear window spindle had seized which made locking the window a problem, and also meant that the rear windscreen wiper could not sit in the spindle properly. Parts have been ordered (under warranty) and the rear spindle will be replaced Monday 5th Jan. Will let you know how it goes.

Interestingly, after taking it to BMW (Hexagon of Highgate) yesterday, the problem was worse than before - I could not get the tailgate window to close at all before driving off, so left with the window open. If you go over a speed bump quite quickly, you can actually get the window to slam shut, and with the central locking in place, it stays closed. A bit tough on the suspension though.

Also, yesterday had the microfilters serviced. Significant improvement in responsiveness and acceleration.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Also, yesterday had the microfilters serviced. Significant improvement in responsiveness and acceleration.
[/quote]

Your last comment caught my eye - microfilters are for the heating/ventilation, not the engine..... Unless you know something I don't, it won't affect how the car runs. Be interested to hear more, when your back window is sorted

Cheers
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='755961' date='Dec 30 2008, 08:28 PM

Your last comment caught my eye - microfilters are for the heating/ventilation, not the engine..... Unless you know something I don't, it won't affect how the car runs. Be interested to hear more, when your back window is sorted

Cheers
Ooops - showing my lack of mechanical knowledge. Maybe they tweaked something else (it was supposed to have an oil service but they messed up the order and will do that on Monday too). Maybe it's a placebo effect, but driving the car back from the dealer, it felt tighter and more responsive.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by The_Gate' post='756445' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:05 AM
Ooops - showing my lack of mechanical knowledge. Maybe they tweaked something else (it was supposed to have an oil service but they messed up the order and will do that on Monday too). Maybe it's a placebo effect, but driving the car back from the dealer, it felt tighter and more responsive.
Dealer fixed the problem. They had to remove the old siezed spindle, which they said was very difficult. They were concerned that they would break the tailgate glass when removing the old spindle, and had spare glass ready, but managed to remove it safely. They also replaced the opening button. So far it's working great and the back wiper moves much quicker than before.

They did the oil service - much more expensive than I thought - ?242! The oil was at ?13 a litre.....ouch. Should I complain?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Members

Thanks for the update, The_Gate! I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Hope the problem won't just stop manifesting itself when they see the car. Having had to live with it for the last two weeks almost made me regret choosing E61 over E60. Almost!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Mine turned out to be a micro switch - but the dealer said getting to the 'switch' meant removal of a seized spindle in the rear window!! All done under warranty, so that was ok. Interestingly, dealer disconnected power to it, so I could use the car for a few days without it causing me a problem while they waited for parts to arrive. Lets hope thats the end of it......

Gate - Synthetic oil isn't cheap, and given how long it stays in your engine, it doesn't strike me as excessively pricey stuff over its life in the sump. Even good quality Castrol or Mobile One at the likes of Halfords or similar, will still set you back about ?40 for 4 litres. Hope you can enjoy your car now its sorted
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525dA

Originally Posted by volodp' post='750360' date='Dec 22 2008, 01:10 PM
I've had this happen to my car too now. Has anyone found out what exactly needs to be replaced or fixed in order to address this issue? Thanks.
I had the same problem, and also the problem theat one of the taillight did not work (replaced the bulb and still did not work ).

I checked the cables (on the right side) which are going from the hood to the inside, and notised that almost all the cables were cut (becouse of the opening and closing the rear door - comment from the dealer).

I linked them together, and the problem was gone.

Now I have the problem with rear window heating - dont work (I have to check cables on the left side)