E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Spare Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found the storage compartment for a spare (you have to remove the whole shelf storage compartment from the trunk). I don't think a space saver will fit fully inflated. I guess you have to inflate the thing after taking it out. My mistake.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='907046' date='Jun 10 2009, 04:32 PM
Just found the storage compartment for a spare (you have to remove the whole shelf storage compartment from the trunk). I don't think a space saver will fit fully inflated. I guess you have to inflate the thing after taking it out. My mistake.
Search the car 1st then Google!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Members

My Ride: Black 2008 535xi E61

I had a flat last week on the way to the airport. Just entered freeway and blew out LR tire (ran over somethig big), in a construction zone and had to drive for 1 mile on flat. Destroyed tire, luckily no rim damage.

I could not get the wheel off the hub, rusted on. Couldn't kick it hard enough with the little flimsy jack so I called BMW Assist. The funny part was the "BMW Assist" team was not what I expected. It was two fellows from Ecuador named Hector and Jesus in a little beat up 80's Mazda pick up show up with a bunch of junk in the back of it. They jacked up the car using their jack and Jesus lied on his back and kicked the hell out of my wheel and broke it loose. Fast service, just not what I envisioned from the brochure.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I have to say that I been stranded three times in two years due to no spare tyre.

My car came with Run Flats and no spare and not 200 yards out the dealership the warning light came on to say there was a puncture. Bought the car from an Audi dealer of all places and they recommended going to a BMW dealer to get them checked and replaced. As it turned out the pressures were all fine, but there was a nasty bulge on the inside of one of them so the Audi dealer footed the bill, but BMW recommended not driving it like it was.

The second time, I had a high-speed blowout about 200 miles from home when driving my wife to the airport. Had to get the car recovered to a friend's house and then to a tyre place the next morning.

Then earlier this year had another after hitting a huge pothole and ruining the tyre and alloy. Worst of all, it was the tyre that was replaced not even a year ago, so still had lots of tread on it (see below).

Not had much luck with this car to be honest. I think it's jinxed. I still haven't got a spare, but I desperately want to do it. Just can't afford to spend the money on wheel, tyre, jack, and tools at the minute.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kell' post='908955' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:25 AM
I have to say that I been stranded three times in two years due to no spare tyre.

My car came with Run Flats and no spare and not 200 yards out the dealership the warning light came on to say there was a puncture. Bought the car from an Audi dealer of all places and they recommended going to a BMW dealer to get them checked and replaced. As it turned out the pressures were all fine, but there was a nasty bulge on the inside of one of them so the Audi dealer footed the bill, but BMW recommended not driving it like it was.

The second time, I had a high-speed blowout about 200 miles from home when driving my wife to the airport. Had to get the car recovered to a friend's house and then to a tyre place the next morning.

Then earlier this year had another after hitting a huge pothole and ruining the tyre and alloy. Worst of all, it was the tyre that was replaced not even a year ago, so still had lots of tread on it (see below).

Not had much luck with this car to be honest. I think it's jinxed. I still haven't got a spare, but I desperately want to do it. Just can't afford to spend the money on wheel, tyre, jack, and tools at the minute.

That tyre looks seriously damage, as if you hit a kerb at high speed... hahahhaa.... sorry shouldnt laugh...but it is seriously funny..

i have this little tip myself.. i have no spare wheel like yourself and have normal tyres.. i have a bottle tyre weld in the trunk and a 12v eletric tyre pump. all in all costed me ?25 in the uk. ?7 for the tyre weld and ?18 for the 12v electric pump. it helps you if you have a nail or similar that stuck into your tyres while on the road. but definately not help with a broken tyre like above photo.
hope your luck only gets better..

Gary
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Members

I doubt E61 do not have space for the spare, my E60 545i has and I bought the BMW spare kit. Attached to the rear compartment ceiling except for crash issue you are rising too much the weight center of the car
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kell' post='908955' date='Jun 12 2009, 06:25 AM

A poster on "Porsche Pete Boxster Board" hit a rock and destroyed a rim/tire in California. He had no cellular phone coverage. Walked out til he had a signal. Flat-beaded the car to the nearest dealer. Took them 2 weeks to locate a tire and rim.
He flew home, then flew back to get his car.

Runflats are turning our vehicles into City Cars!

Had issues with flat tire warning on my e61 too. Numerous times; no explanation.

Dave
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d MSport May 05- NAV, Rear DVD. Would like Xenon's and brighter circles. MP3's don't work in my car!! Tried everything, software updated the lot. Sp would also like a USB option.

I'm hating these RF's. I'm on my second torn sidewall and first cracked rim in a year!!

I bought a space saver spare wheel kit for the car from BMW. Comes with a wheel brace and a Jack. You have to remove the carpet under the boot floor. Not the storage section, that can stay, bu the carpet lining the spare wheel well. The space save sits on top of the polystyrene that houses some electrics and relays.

Hope this helps
Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 AM
fnc
Members

There is a spare tire kit from BMW available. I believe they will GIVe it to you. If your car is still covered by factory warranty.

Spare Tire Retrofit Kit https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/AwA8AQ