E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Spare Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='857432' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:43 PM
Good idea re: the mobility kit.

And your price is 40 Euros cheaper than what it costs here from BMW...
Just to close the loop on this, I bought the Mobility Kit today.
It fits perfectly into the compartment behind the first cover on the left hand side boot wall.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='860274' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:08 PM
It fits perfectly into the compartment behind the first cover on the left hand side boot wall.
Yep!

And that reminds me that I should actually PUT the mobility kit into my car... It won't help much sitting on the floor of my office.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='860283' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:14 PM
Yep!

And that reminds me that I should actually PUT the mobility kit into my car... It won't help much sitting on the floor of my office.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Members

My 535xi came with
RFT and a spacesaver spare under the rear floor mat. Why couldn't you use the space saver spare and put it in the cavity beneath the rear floor mat? If you are using that space to store tools perhaps you could rethink it and find a nice place in your garage to store the tools. I can't remember when I needed to perform a repair, on some part of my car, when I was traveling. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='860295' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:26 PM
My 535xi came with
RFT and a spacesaver spare under the rear floor mat. Why couldn't you use the space saver spare and put it in the cavity beneath the rear floor mat? If you are using that space to store tools perhaps you could rethink it and find a nice place in your garage to store the tools. I can't remember when I needed to perform a repair, on some part of my car, when I was traveling. Good luck.
Over here in Europe you don't get the space saver spare under the rear floor mat as a standard / factory delivery because of the RFTs. Its a ?300,- option from the BMW Parts dept. So if you need to order this after taking delivery of your car or buying it used, the BMW Mobility Set at ?90 is a pretty good alternative and lets you keep the storage compartment. The storage compartment is a flat area under floor mat with variable dividers to stop things sliding around, it is a totally different cavity to the spare-wheel holder cavity. (So this is not about me wanting to carry tools in my car )

I can only assume the BMW dealer or previous owner had the spare wheel option fitted to your car.
I had this on my previous E60; I asked the BMW dealer to retro fit it when ordering the car new.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='860354' date='Apr 27 2009, 11:07 AM
Over here in Europe you don't get the space saver spare under the rear floor mat as a standard / factory delivery because of the RFTs. Its a ?300,- option from the BMW Parts dept. So if you need to order this after taking delivery of your car or buying it used, the BMW Mobility Set at ?90 is a pretty good alternative and lets you keep the storage compartment. The storage compartment is a flat area under floor mat with variable dividers to stop things sliding around, it is a totally different cavity to the spare-wheel holder cavity. (So this is not about me wanting to carry tools in my car )

I can only assume the BMW dealer or previous owner had the spare wheel option fitted to your car.
I had this on my previous E60; I asked the BMW dealer to retro fit it when ordering the car new.
Just a comment on those cans of flat repair. They shoot a bunch of gunk, gook (technical terms), and glue inside the tire. It cannot be removed sufficiently to put a patch in the tire if you ever need it. Ironic that some retailers advertise it at the cash register (and do not tell you the side effects) when you buy it, even if you buy it with tires. (e.g., W M)
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='860354' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:07 PM

The strange thing is that mine has both these things: the storage compartment and below this, there is the spare wheel.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by trevorken' post='860473' date='Apr 27 2009, 07:45 PM
The strange thing is that mine has both these things: the storage compartment and below this, there is the spare wheel.

ah, ok, I was under the impression that you lose the storage area if you go for the spare wheel option. Good to know, thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='860469' date='Apr 27 2009, 07:42 PM
Just a comment on those cans of flat repair. They shoot a bunch of gunk, gook (technical terms), and glue inside the tire. It cannot be removed sufficiently to put a patch in the tire if you ever need it. Ironic that some retailers advertise it at the cash register (and do not tell you the side effects) when you buy it, even if you buy it with tires. (e.g., W M)
I heard the same thing.

However with the high speed rated tyres, I heard that they do not patch these and only replace them due to safety/stress reasons. Therefore it doesn't matter if you use the "gook". Or is this another story from the tire sellers?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nipetronic' post='857376' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:14 AM
dont get so worked up, my friend..
life is short. Some get shot. (In Thailand, in Malaysia, ppl get bombed!) I dont know wht else will ppl do next?
sorry for OT
but over here, many of us driving non RF, will just take hv to depend on AAS (if overseas in Malaysia) or AAA, or tow-truck (if in Sin)
lastly, u can always keep stock a mobile gen tool kit.
otherwise, stick to RFT, though its costly.
can't see what all the fuss is! i bought a complete breakdown kit from the stealer and it fits perfectly under the luggage compartment of my E61 all i needed to do was remove the plastic insert from the (compact !) spare wheel compartment

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Issues