E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by TwoPedal
I do wish BMWs had rear fog lights, though.
On the E9X series, it's a very easy and cheap retrofit, as the bulb holes are already there IIRC in the rear taillight assembly, and people just replace the lighting switch with a Euro one for $100 that has a rear fog light button too, and voila, it works!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

I wonder why BMW didn't include them for the US-spec cars from the start. It seems like an odd DOT regulation- Volvo & Mercedes only use one citing a DOT regulation that they cannot be confused for brake lights while Audi uses two (and their drivers seem to leave them on all the time.)

Patrick- your e61 has them? I guess its a Euro-spec feature for BMW. I use them mostly to discourage tailgaters.

While I have a post going I thought I might ask a question: are there any known signs of a failing battery besides the "high rate of discharge" warning?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Here's the DIY even for the E9X model. The dash lights indicating they're on even work after!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26545
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Members

Thanks for the link, Lotus. I haven't been able to find much about this hack for the e61. I'm considering doing the "LCI" rear light upgrade, which I've found even less info for. The e9x hack looks very easy. Looks easier than my bluetooth adventures in the e60. I'm slowly learning more about these cars. When I return to Southern California in the fall I'll be driving the car across the country. I hope I'll have it all down by then.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I wonder why BMW didn't include them for the US-spec cars from the start. It seems like an odd DOT regulation- Volvo & Mercedes only use one citing a DOT Patrick- your e61 has them? I guess its a Euro-spec feature for BMW. I use them mostly to discourage tailgaters.
Aside from North America, all E60/E61 models have rear fog lamps.

I suspect that the DOT rules about rear fog lamps has something to do with their misuse in the US... Like discouraging tailgaters. That isn't what the lights are intended for.

I have used mine on a few occasions in heavy snow or dense fog. Turning them on in other instances can lead to a rather hefty fine.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Members

Lighting in cars for the North American market is an odd duck. Front fogs, rear fogs- there are no fines (in my state at least) for using those lights outside of inclement weather. I suspect European laws are much more stringent. There are all sorts of awful lighting "mods" that kids put in their cars in the US- all of which never seem to have fines associated with them. Tailgaters around Connecticut, New York, and parts of Massachusetts are awful. Throw on your rear fog and they think its a brake light and get the message (usually) that they are too close. Not to mention the dozens of Audi drivers who seem to leave them on as a matter of practice around here.

In the past few days I have been in terrible rain storms where I had wished for more rearwards light in my e61. Perhaps with Euro-code tail lamps I can retrofit the rear fogs.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Not to mention the dozens of Audi drivers who seem to leave them on as a matter of practice around here.
If foggy or poor visibility conditions are not present, why would anyone use front or rear fog lamps? I don't get it.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Members

Most Audi drivers I see do not seem to notice that they have them on and for some of them I'd go as far as to say they don't even know what they are. Usually Audi wagons and SUVs. The S models with drivers who know their cars don't leave them on but I can't count all the Allroads and A4/6 avants that have them on during sunny July afternoons on the Maine Turnpike.

To change the look of their cars, some people put on their running lights and turn on their front fogs to change the look from the traditional daytime running lights. I almost prefer that look to the obnoxious bright white LED DRLs that so many automakers are slapping on their front ends.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

On the older Audis, the fogs were used as daytime running lights, which was good, rather than use the HID lights all the time, like our Volvo did. Or even a small "city light" as they're called in Europe, would have been good, instead of HID's.

The new LED DRL's I actually think are great, b/c they're doing exactly what annoys you - catching your attention!

In the US, unlike here where it's been mandated for years, a lot of cars still don't have DRL's on, so I'm guessing you're probably not as used to seeing DRL's, so they stand out even more so.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Members

Hi Lotus, for the Audis I meant the rear fogs as the ones that some drivers seem to leave on and forget about. The LED DRLs do get my attention but so do the subdued e60s halogen angel eyes rather than the bright LEDs. They're so bright they disable when the turn signal is turned on.

Which Volvo did you drive that used the HIDs as DRLs? My S70 and V70XC used the normal low beam halogens as DRLs and with the Euro-spec head light can use that city light you mentioned. My XC90 uses a low wattage halogen in the highbeam output for DRLs. I always like that Volvo DRLs put on both front and back lights. I have seen so many cars (usually Honda/Toyota) that are driving at night thinking their DLRs are their headlights and their tail lights are off. I am constantly amazed at how many people have little or no understanding of basic car controls. Night time? Check that the lights are properly switched on. Day time? No need to cruise with high beams on.

DRLs aren't uncommon here. I'm accustomed to seeing them and it seems like in the past few years, car makers are getting more creative than using the lowbeam as the DRL here in the US.

On another note, I found lots of water stored in the plastic tray above the battery in the e61 today. Clearly the sunroof is still leaking and perhaps is the cause behind the forgetful iDrive clock and the cranky power door. I shutter to think of how many wires and fuses the water dripped down to get to the tray. The sound dampening materials in the walls didn't seem overly damp but that water had to travel through something internal to get there. I'm impressed with all the little hydraulic lifts to open and close the floor panel storage covers.

Quick Reply: New Owner