E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just have air suspension on the rear and it uses a compressor. I believe you are correct about the sinking when parked as I hear mine running when I start the car in the mornings from time to time. Unfortunately, the earlier cars seem to be more prone to rear suspension problems - either the compressor fails (as mine did) or the main hose from it cracks.

I tried the transmission reset and didn't notice any difference. Perhaps I missed a step or didn't do something correctly. Would you mind replying with what the steps you used?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

I suppose sorting the bugs out of cars like the e60/61 is like debugging a computer network, although sometimes it seems a good old fashioned component failure arises. Thank you for the info.

As far as resetting the transmission- I followed a link a found on this site. Put the key in and press start *without* having foot on brake. I hit the accept button when the iDrive came on, set my stop watch, and hit the accelerator to the bottom to the point where it pressed the kick down button. I never heard any sounds like some members have reported and at 35 seconds I released the accelerator, put my foot on the brake, and started the car. There is a big hill that I have to drive up as soon as I leave my road. Before the reset the car would shift very aggressively and hold it for way too long. Now the car shifts normally.

Perhaps the key is to activate the kick down button. Were these the instructions you had tried as well?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Members

Thanks TwoPedal. Yes that is what I tried although I pressed the accelerator all the way to the floor. Are saying to press beyond the kick down but not to the floor?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Members

Hi Bingle. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My AM coffee kicked in so I'll try it again.

I pressed the pedal as far as it would go to the floor, pressing the kick down button. Basically I pressed the pedal like I would on the autobahn. I mentioned the kick down button because some people I have talked to are unaware of it and as a result, don't push the accelerator down far enough. Besides the hill, I noticed the most change accelerating from a stop. Before there was an awful lag until the trans. shifted. With factory settings back, the lag is gone and the shifts during heavy acceleration are no longer really hard and noticeable.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Members

Thanks! - I tried again and it's definitely shifting differently. As opposed to your experience, mine is now shifting more aggressively. I suppose that's because the PO was a lady, and the transmission had unfortunately learned "granny" mode. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Members

Drat! It seems water problems are not over yet. Again this morning the trunk (but not the right compartment) was filled with water. I was skeptical that the dealership fixed the problem so quickly; I had a feeling it was going to be more involved. Now the SAT radio module on the left is just dripping wet and both cargo floor compartments are waterlogged.

But what's scarier, and hopefully someone has had this issues before as well, is a water leak into the engine compartment. What happened was: in the light rain yesterday, I came to a stoplight in town. I noticed large amounts of steam coming from my car. Upon further inspection, steam was pouring out the passenger side grille. Clearly rain was getting into the engine bay and striking a hot component. It looked like smoke at first but its clearly steam (cooling system is OK). Has anyone experienced that before?

My car is sitting in the service dept. and their loaner is sitting my driveway. I hope to swap with them soon.

My 14 year old S70 has never leaked. An e61 shouldn't either. I am impressed that I haven't had any serious drivability issues though, given how wet the electronics have been recently. Plus the dealer has been very helpful but I hope they won't mind if I tell them I don't want to see them for a while....
Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Members

Well, in two weeks, I would say you've had quite a bit of trouble with your car. This is my third BMW ( I also have a 06 530xiT, CPO and Maintenance, however) And it is not good on quality. Just got my car back from the dreaded roof drain leak... so far, no electrical damage, but it did ruin my headliner, as it was shooting out thru the the holder for the cargo net in the rear seat. I am fighting BMW all the way on this issue.

look out for the rear suspension, tailgate wiring harness and leaks in the front of the sunroof as well.

Also had to replace the AC blower motor and Comp. I am glad this car has a CPO and Maintenance till the end of the year, then i am getting rid of it. It is a fun car to drive, but sometimes the hassles just aren't worth it. Since BMW decided to not bring the new 5 seriers wagon to the US, It will likely be back in a Mercedes E class wagon for me.

Good luck with your car.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Members

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your e61, cwickberg. The roof leak mystifies me as to why BMW didn't design something better. And they put all the sensitive electronics in the lowest point of the car. Far be it for me to question German engineering though.... It sounds like I'm lucky that my dealership isn't fighting with me over this.

What is the tailgate wiring harness issue? I've read about the air suspension failures but haven't heard much about wiring harnesses. I'm surprised that BMW thinks US buyers will buy their GT and not notice the lack of a real wagon. Even Volvo has reduced their wagon offerings in the US. If I didn't have to deal with endless traffic and actually had an open road 80% of the time I'd be in a V70R.

Good luck with your car as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TwoPedal
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your e61, cwickberg. The roof leak mystifies me as to why BMW didn't design something better. And they put all the sensitive electronics in the lowest point of the car. Far be it for me to question German engineering though.... It sounds like I'm lucky that my dealership isn't fighting with me over this.

What is the tailgate wiring harness issue? I've read about the air suspension failures but haven't heard much about wiring harnesses. I'm surprised that BMW thinks US buyers will buy their GT and not notice the lack of a real wagon. Even Volvo has reduced their wagon offerings in the US. If I didn't have to deal with endless traffic and actually had an open road 80% of the time I'd be in a V70R.

Good luck with your car as well.
It seems there is an issue with premature wear on the wireling harness where is passes over the hinges to the tailgate. i haven't faced this issue yet.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Members

I will have to keep an eye on that. I usually just open the glass panel instead of the door. I remember Mercedes' around model year '95 had biodegradable wiring harnesses, that while good for the environment began to disintegrate from engine heat.