E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Our 2010 535xi Touring recently gave us an engine fault, sputtered and stalled a few times. A "reduced power" warning light displayed constantly. I took it to the dealer, and they said there is a recall for that engine, and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump. So check to see whether your car is subject to this recall. Better to get it replaced before it starts failing.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Members

Yeah, all BMW's N54 engines (the 3 liter twin turbos) have had HPFP issues for a few years, there's a lot in the forums written about them, especially in the 3 series forums. It's too bad yours died before you found out about the recall, so hope it didn't strand you too bad.

BMW kept coming out with updated pumps but it didn't help the problem. They even extended the warranty on them to 10 years IIRC, but finally like 6 months ago, they came out and issued a recall, and there's new pumps being installed. There's also a recall (dealer can check your VIN) on fuel injectors, which a lot of cars had done at the same time.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

Lotus- don't worry, I read the documentation. What I meant was that I would test out the repair carried out by the dealer...whenever that will be. They hardly ever get back to me. I think I might just show up. I did wash my car today and try to find where the drips come from. It didn't drip much but a garden hose and a little wash isn't nearly as long or strong as the downpours we've been having. I tried to remove the panels under the rear of the car but didn't have the proper wrench size. I could pull dirt from the edges-thick chunks of it. Clearly there's a back up.

Tab- thank you for the concern. I actually sought out a non-turbo e61 because of those HPFP problems. They're new to the turbo game. I test drove an X5 years ago after testing out an XC90 twin turbo. The BMW salesman poopoo'd turbos and low and behold......

I hope yours doesn't act up on you again.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Members

I dropped the car off at the dealer today. The service manager told me that it wasn't uncommon to have this leak. The car should be ready on Monday and I have an X3 loaner in the meantime. Very different from the Touring. On an interesting side note, the service manager showed me the car that the regional representative for BMW North America drove up from New Jersey- a gray on silver 530 touring. Nice choice! Thank you all for your help. This is a wonderful forum.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

TP,
I also found that my wagon had a leak last year. Half inch of water in the right 'cargo bin' where the fuses are. Luckily it didn't fry any of the electronics. Turns out they just needed the replace the seal for the sunroof, nothing to do with the pathetically small drain tubes. Best of luck with it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Members

Thanks, gummysDad. I'll ask them for a full explanation when the car's done but its good to know that yours didn't require more than new seals. I think I might cut the odd "valves" from the small drain tubes behind the rear bumper as illustrated in one of the DIY guides. Hopefully I'll know more later today from the dealership.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Good stuff. Don't forget to post up an update here, and maybe on the sunroof drain thread?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Members

Phew! The car is back and driving much better. Apparently I didn't have any breaks or damaged roof carriages. I was told that the drains were very very dirty and causing a back up. The SA said usually once a year the drains need to be cleaned. Other than that I have no helpful updates for the sunroof drain thread. They did replace the "hkl" module (no description given, anyone know what it is?), which had apparently shorted out from the leak. They even threw in a freebie- a very long Torx driver that someone clearly forgot to remove from the trunk. I'll have to get that back to them at some point. I once found a mechanic's cell phone under my seat.

I have to thank my salesperson as they also replaced all the rotors,pads, and front sway bars all free of charge. A great way to build a good relationship with the buyer. They updated the iDrive software, too. Much better colors and instead of 5 clicks to get what I want, it only takes 3. The real test will be the next rainstorm. I think I'll keep some towels in the trunk just in case.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by TwoPedal
The SA said usually once a year the drains need to be cleaned.

I have to thank my salesperson as they also replaced all the rotors,pads, and front sway bars all free of charge. A great way to build a good relationship with the buyer.

They updated the iDrive software, too. Much better colors and instead of 5 clicks to get what I want, it only takes 3.
Good to hear they figured things out. So would you have to go back to the dealer to have them cleaned once a year? I don't remember if there is an easy/dependable way described in that link as a DIY thing we can do?

Your sway bar was replaced? Why? I didn't think that part could ever break?

Do you know how to look up what version of iDrive you have? I know how to get the NAV version, but not sure if you can get the iDrive one. Or maybe describe one of the new 3 step ways of getting something so I can check mine?

I wonder if I could convince my dealer to give me a free upgrade even if I'm not having any issues...
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Members

Hi Lotus. One of the solutions I read about in the DIY is compressed air. By blowing compressed air into the drains by the sunroof, it can help expel some of the debris. Also some people have cut the rubber valve off the rear drain exits since the valve only seemed to promote dirt collection.

Sway bars wear out and when they do they make all sorts of strange noises. Sometimes they last for as long as most people keep their cars and then start to deteriorate for the next owners. Few parts under the car escape replacement. Especially ones driven in the Northeast it seems. Unfortunately, now my car makes a horrible grinding squeak when turning slowly or accelerating from a stop. I think the service dept. over-tightened something.

I haven't looked up the version of iDrive I have now but what tipped me off was the menu screen is now silver instead of brown. Vehicle settings for example, are now listed under Vehicle/Service Settings. The All Stations radio menu has the available stations nicely listed in vertical rows of 3 instead of a mishmash like before.

You could ask your dealer. Given how complicated I found the first version is seems like an updated should be a standard work item from them. I had some fried modules from the leak, which forced them to reprogram the car (so they say). That might be why they updated the software. Voice Recognition doesn't seem any more reliable though.

One thing did happen that scared me (besides the new squeak) after pickup up the car: last night on my way home from dinner, the tire pressure monitor said I had a flat tire. I stopped and checked them and found no flat tire. I reset the system but I haven't driven anywhere today to see if it worked. Have you ever had a false alarm?

Quick Reply: New Owner