E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoPedal
On another note, I found lots of water stored in the plastic tray above the battery in the e61 today. Clearly the sunroof is still leaking and perhaps is the cause behind the forgetful iDrive clock and the cranky power door. I shutter to think of how many wires and fuses the water dripped down to get to the tray. The sound dampening materials in the walls didn't seem overly damp but that water had to travel through something internal to get there. I'm impressed with all the little hydraulic lifts to open and close the floor panel storage covers.
Hi TwoPedal,

Water from clogged sunroof drains fried the communication module for the sat radio/phone in my car, which is on the driver side. Just mentioning this as a heads up as it was only an ~$1100 lesson learned for me...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

Yikes- Thank you for the warning, Bingle. I've checked that area and while not wet now, the metal housing to the modules looks like its had water on it recently. I wonder if that's why Sirius can't hold a decent signal. Were there any warning signs for your module failure? or did it just stop working completely?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Members

It just stopped working. I saw some moisture in there when I first bought the car and mistakenly thought it might have been from the dealer pressure washing it or using wet rags to wipe out the interior storage areas. Who would think that engineers would allow sunroof drain backups to collect water near expensive electronics?!?!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Members

I have noticed dried drip stains and rust marks on the current modules back there in my car.

I do believe that many car makers engineer some parts of their cars on the cheap finding it more profitable to charge the customer for replacements than engineer a better solution- like the Pinto. But I agree, how could such a "engineering" company like BMW let water pool in the battery compartment and the comm. module compartment.

What did the dealer do to fix the problem? Has it ever leaked again?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Members

My car had not been garage-kept by the PO - that was obvious. The service adviser said they cleaned the drain lines and replaced the damaged electronics. I asked about preventative measures and was told that I didn't need to do anything further, which I found odd (even though the car is now garage-kept). This was approximately 6 months ago and I am keeping an eye on it - no leaks since knock on wood. There are some DIY threads here on the forum for cleaning the lines...I'd be glad to post a link or two if you can't find them but I plan on having the lines checked whenever I have the car in for service from now on.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Members

PS - to your previous question about warning signs and your Sirius signal issue: I didn't noticed anything from the SAT radio as I do not currently subscribe to their service.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Members

Thank you for your help, Bingle. I have an appointment on Thursday for them to look at the issue. I'll ask for drain line cleaning if they try to blame it on something else. I'll do a search for this issue. I've been told the sunroof can cause some leaks but I always assumed it would be straight down onto the seats and footwells, instead of cleverly hidden in the vital electronics behind panels. Clever engineering- out of sight out of mind.....until something breaks.

My SAT radio box is covered in rust spots. I suppose its a miracle it still works at all. I may not subscribe to their service for long considering how it cannot even get a signal through tree leaves.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by TwoPedal
Which Volvo did you drive that used the HIDs as DRLs? My S70 and V70XC used the normal low beam halogens as DRLs and with the Euro-spec head light can use that city light you mentioned. My XC90 uses a low wattage halogen in the highbeam output for DRLs. I always like that Volvo DRLs put on both front and back lights. I have seen so many cars (usually Honda/Toyota) that are driving at night thinking their DLRs are their headlights and their tail lights are off. I am constantly amazed at how many people have little or no understanding of basic car controls. Night time? Check that the lights are properly switched on. Day time? No need to cruise with high beams on.

On another note, I found lots of water stored in the plastic tray above the battery in the e61 today. Clearly the sunroof is still leaking and perhaps is the cause behind the forgetful iDrive clock and the cranky power door. I shutter to think of how many wires and fuses the water dripped down to get to the tray. The sound dampening materials in the walls didn't seem overly damp but that water had to travel through something internal to get there. I'm impressed with all the little hydraulic lifts to open and close the floor panel storage covers.
We had an 09 XC70 T6 with adaptive HID's. They'd come on, and even in the OFF light setting, you still couldn't turn them off! At least with the BMW, in the Auto light setting, they come on, but you can still turn them off.

Sucks about the sunroof drain lines clogging up. I've got to check mine, since we bought the car used, and we park it outside mainly. Here's a link I came across that tells you how to test if it's clogged (and IIRC, how to keep them clean): https://5series.net/forums/topic/810...panorama-roof/
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Members

Ah yes, I am familiar with the Volvo system on those cars. My XC90 turns them on often even in position 0. It takes a software download to disable that and make the off position truly an off position for the main lights. I have yet to disable them in mine so each morning in the garage the lights come on then off when I exit. One of these days....

Thank you for the link. Tomorrow in the light (and finally no rain) I'll test that out. I have never had dripping from overhead, just into the fuses and battery. Even after the dealership does whatever they'll do to fix it, I think I'll spray the garden hose at high pressure at the offending areas to ensure no more water is getting in. Of all the cars to leak it has to be the daily driver.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

IIRC from skimming that thread, the test to see if your drain lines are clogged is to pour water either on the outside of the tracks or the inside (very important to get it right though, so read the thread in detail - if you get it wrong, I think you'll end up with water in the car!) with the roof open, and watch the water drip out by the wheel well or somewhere, and that's how you know it's clear or not.

No high pressure water spraying from what I recall!

Quick Reply: New Owner