E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by 535xrayindigo
Hey Man,

Been following your build for a for a long time. Finally got my 535xi about 2 months ago. I have had a headache with the fuel system since I got it. Anyway thanks for documenting all of this. It’s been an inspiration for my touring.
Thanks! Regrading the fuel system, most issues revolve around the pump and injectors. I would recommend checking when they were replaced, if they have 60-80k on them then they are rearing the end of their life depending on use. If you aren't sure when they were replaced then it wouldn't hurt to replace both items, they are not cheap but if you plan to have the car for a long time it's a necessary maintenance item.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi hud night vision
Model Year: 08

Yup, car has 88,000 miles. It started with a leaky sending unit, did that and then had long crank issues so I replaced both the hpfp and injectors. They had never been done. Started getting rough running issues after that and replaced the lpf Sensor line as I was noticing a leak right under it. Turns out my new hpfp was garbage, when I replace the low pressure fuel line the compensator fell right off of it. Sending it back to FCP and getting a new one. Have the CP and Intercooler on a shelf ready to go. Working on a better mounting solution for our intercooler as well. maintenance before mods right now.

Last edited by 535xrayindigo; 08-27-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yup, car has 88,000 miles. It started with a leaky sending unit, did that and then had long crank issues so I replaced both the hpfp and injectors. They had never been done. Started getting rough running issues after that and replaced the lpf Sensor line as I was noticing a leak right under it. Turns out my new hpfp was garbage, when I replace the low pressure fuel line the compensator fell right off of it. Sending it back to FCP and getting a new one. Have the CP and Intercooler on a shelf ready to go. Working on a better mounting solution for our intercooler as well. maintenance before mods right now.
Sounds like you are going through all the preventative maintenance before mods, smart move. Don't forget to throw in some new plugs and get the intake valves cleaned, they both make a big difference, at that point if you ever get a misfire you can assume it's a coil and diagnosing would be easy.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM
New Members

Coils and plugs are done. Have everything for a trans, case and diff as well. Going to get a setup for valve ceaning soon. Just wanting to get the engine going before I take that on. Then tunes for the trans and engine, then down pipes. Know if anyone makes catted DP for our cars anymore?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Coils and plugs are done. Have everything for a trans, case and diff as well. Going to get a setup for valve ceaning soon. Just wanting to get the engine going before I take that on. Then tunes for the trans and engine, then down pipes. Know if anyone makes catted DP for our cars anymore?
Open your wallet: BMW E60 N54 535XI Catted Downpipes - ARDOWNPIPES
Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Gooo! Need to have cats.. The wife hates the old car smell and being environmentally conscious I really dont want to run open. I may try some universals post down pipes. You still running 3" all the way back or doing 3.5"
Old 08-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Gooo! Need to have cats.. The wife hates the old car smell and being environmentally conscious I really dont want to run open. I may try some universals post down pipes. You still running 3" all the way back or doing 3.5"
Still 3" and I don't plan on changing that although not ideal it certainly can support my ~600whp goals and I love the sound of my current system and don't want to risk changing/ruining that.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:41 PM
New Members

Still 3" and I don't plan on changing that although not ideal it certainly can support my ~600whp goals and I love the sound of my current system and don't want to risk changing/ruining that.
I know you went through a few of them. Lol. All part of figuring out what you like.

On a side note. I want to keep my AWD. I am not one to launch my car. At what point did yours let go? Or did you simply disconnect the front diff before doing the MT swap?

Last edited by 535xrayindigo; 08-28-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

I know you went through a few of them. Lol. All part of figuring out what you like.

On a side note. I want to keep my AWD. I am not one to launch my car. At what point did yours let go? Or did you simply disconnect the front diff before doing the MT swap?
Yes, a few iterations but all played around with different setups that cost a couple hundred dollars to execute, current system was ~$2,500. Good thing it's the best sounding N54 I have heard! lol

My FWD system never failed per say but I had some issues with the front axles (CVs) the switch to RWD was one for simplicity and reliability since I knew chances were good a serious issue would arise at my power level. Originally I would launch the car when it had a tune but once the power got to the 450-500awhp range I limited boost in first and never did launches from a dig.

At first I disconnected the axles, swapped DSC modules, disconnected the TC actuator and module, and tried some coding but it didn't really work. Next was swapping the trans and more coding which still hasn't come full circle since the DSC/ABS is still inactive. Now I am in the last phase which is a complete M5 front subframe conversion and hopefully coding to enable DSC/ABS.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 AM
New Members

Yes, a few iterations but all played around with different setups that cost a couple hundred dollars to execute, current system was ~$2,500. Good thing it's the best sounding N54 I have heard! lol

My FWD system never failed per say but I had some issues with the front axles (CVs) the switch to RWD was one for simplicity and reliability since I knew chances were good a serious issue would arise at my power level. Originally I would launch the car when it had a tune but once the power got to the 450-500awhp range I limited boost in first and never did launches from a dig.

At first I disconnected the axles, swapped DSC modules, disconnected the TC actuator and module, and tried some coding but it didn't really work. Next was swapping the trans and more coding which still hasn't come full circle since the DSC/ABS is still inactive. Now I am in the last phase which is a complete M5 front subframe conversion and hopefully coding to enable DSC/ABS.
It does sound sweet! Sounds like it would be at home on a racetrack or a supercar.

Gotcha. I am thinking about running a M5 rear diff and keeping the front diff then running staggered 19 and 20. Should work just fine, just need to turn off the E-diff. From what I have seen the computer doesnt care about the small difference, Mechanical binding does and the 4% difference in tire size should match the 4% difference in ratio. Tell me if I am crazy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All