E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Yes, that was one of the initial coding changes. With the advanced coding I will double check with changing the body style from wagon to sedan. My DSC module is from a 528i but from what I gather the hardware of the rwd E60s was all the same and the difference was in software/coding.

Cool to see someone going deep with drivetrain conversions, doing it "right", and documenting it; respect.

With your struts the 5mm sleeves solved your "xi strut" in "rwd spindle" issue?
I figured as much but have wasted many hours of troubleshooting without checking on the basics first! From what I gathered, there's essentially 3 DSC modules - RWD, AWD, M.

Yep, the sleeves work well. I run an ISC X-drive coil over kit (wish I ponied up for the KW) with the strut lowers dropping straight into the AWD spindles. I bought the KW sleeves since I figured all E60/61 coil over kits use either 57mm (2WD) or 62mm (AWD) diameter strut lowers. That turned out not to be the case which is when I went to a local machine shop. I'm a bit confused as to why this is the case, unless I was sent the wrong part numbers. In any event, if you still need a solution I know I have at least one if not both of the KW adapters (pn 65010239, though the invoice calls them "BMW E60 rear spacers"). I can ship em to you if you want.

Curious, what shifter carrier parts did you end up using? Just a junk yard turbo 2WD? I couldn't find a non-turbo carrier & lever anywhere on the net so I had to buy new from Germany to the tune of like $350 between the carrier and shift lever (turbo and naturally aspirated transmissions are different IIRC.

Andy
07 530iT
Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by amesser325
I figured as much but have wasted many hours of troubleshooting without checking on the basics first! From what I gathered, there's essentially 3 DSC modules - RWD, AWD, M.

Yep, the sleeves work well. I run an ISC X-drive coil over kit (wish I ponied up for the KW) with the strut lowers dropping straight into the AWD spindles. I bought the KW sleeves since I figured all E60/61 coil over kits use either 57mm (2WD) or 62mm (AWD) diameter strut lowers. That turned out not to be the case which is when I went to a local machine shop. I'm a bit confused as to why this is the case, unless I was sent the wrong part numbers. In any event, if you still need a solution I know I have at least one if not both of the KW adapters (pn 65010239, though the invoice calls them "BMW E60 rear spacers"). I can ship em to you if you want.

Curious, what shifter carrier parts did you end up using? Just a junk yard turbo 2WD? I couldn't find a non-turbo carrier & lever anywhere on the net so I had to buy new from Germany to the tune of like $350 between the carrier and shift lever (turbo and naturally aspirated transmissions are different IIRC.
Talked with KW today and got some confusing info. They couldn't give me the diameter of the actual struts but only what they have in their system for the 535i and 535xi spindle inner diameters which they told me was 51mm for the AWD and 52mm ...but tapers down to 51mm on the RWD. They stated the RWD comes with sleeves, seeing actual product pictures confirms this but the sleeves look much more robust than a tapered 1mm, these might be the sleeves you have? Anyway that info wasn't very helpful and a bit confusing based off the product images. They also told me the RWD struts are 31mm longer, no arguing this but the RWD struts seem to protrude through the bottom of the clamping area on the spindle. Lastly they confirmed the valving was different.
I will need to do some test fitting to get to the bottom of it, not really sure what to think of it.

You are inquiring about the arm which holds the MT shifter to the transmission and chassis? I got that off eBay (from a 535i). The mounting bushings and other small hardware was purchased new from ECS and I reinforced the front cylindrical bushing to offer more rigidity, shifter is a UUC SSK. I had some delrin bushings for the shift arm to trans connection but ditched them due to NVH and poor fitment.

I wish N54 cars were around the pick-your-part junk yards I visit although I am thankful there are at least a few early gen E60s.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:24 AM
New Members

I think these are what they're talking about. OD is 62mm, ID is 51 and 52mm, as seen in the pic. It's a step, not really a taper. On my ISCs, there is a big step on the strut that rests on the spindle so the sleeve I had made rested on that step then I just lined up the sleeve to the top of the spindle, then the pinch bolt holds everything tight.
You can see how mine interfaces with the spindle, and also why I can't use the KW sleeves.

OK, yeah. Seems the N52s aren't plentiful around here either, at least with manuals. I searched for about a month on ebay and came up spades. Seemed like most salvage yards online don't bother with shifter bits. I'm guessing when they separate the trans from the car those parts get plasma cut rather than delicately removed.

Again, happy to send you those sleeves if you want them. I easily got the courage and many small bits of info from your work that are worth at least the cost of shipping!

Andy
07 530iT
Old 09-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by amesser325
I think these are what they're talking about. OD is 62mm, ID is 51 and 52mm, as seen in the pic. It's a step, not really a taper. On my ISCs, there is a big step on the strut that rests on the spindle so the sleeve I had made rested on that step then I just lined up the sleeve to the top of the spindle, then the pinch bolt holds everything tight.
You can see how mine interfaces with the spindle, and also why I can't use the KW sleeves.
You beat me to it. When I have time to pull my KW out I will measure and do some test fitting there is a chance it might work since it looks like the AWD struts have a bulge which supplements the sleeve and the RWD KWs are longer but that extends through the pinch area, past the 1mm step and into the void behind the wheel bearing (AWD strut is shorter to accommodate F axle.

Another thing I need to watch is the "tab" the AWD strut has for the end link, hopefully that doesn't get in the way of the bracket that bolts to the RWD spindle, worst case it would be cut off.
Assuming the sturt physically fits I am fine running it even though it is supposedly valved for RWD. I already lost most of the weight up front so this subframe swap will make a negligible difference.

"Soooo, your saying there's a chance..."

RWD strut

AWD Strut

Old 09-12-2018, 02:05 PM
New Members

Ahhh, I assumed KW was 'the same' as ISC where they use the same strut tube but seems to be actually be altogether different. I'd take your approach - wait and see once you pull the coil over.

I had to cut off that tab and expect the KW will be the same.

Andy
07 530iT
Old 09-30-2018, 04:15 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi hud night vision
Model Year: 08

Hey Evan,

Did you find the strut and other crossbraceing to offer any benefit? Saw it fit well. Didn’t see if you thought it was worthwhile though.

Thanks,
Xray Indigo
Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 535xrayindigo
Hey Evan,

Did you find the strut and other crossbraceing to offer any benefit?
I removed the front upper strut brace since I work on my engine so much and it was annoying to remove the brace every time.

All of the braces offered increased rigidity and helped the wagon feel more solid. I recommend then as an upgrade.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Garage views! E39 will be up for sale soon since the E61 is almost done. E39 will receive all the critical chain guide and vanos maintenance as well as a manual trans swap prior to sale. It will probably go up on Bring a Trailer.

Since the wagon had sat for so long I checked the fuel which looked good, sometimes ethanol can deteriorate and become milky, my tank had an E40 blend.

I also flashed my tune back to pump gas from E85 and lowered the boost.

After adding a bottle of Seafoam to the 1/8 tank I had left I went and filled up with some fresh 91.

Collision Factory in San Diego did a fantastic job on the apron repair. It looks factory (minus it isn't as oil/grime "tainted" like the other engine bay paint) and fitment is excellent.

Replaced headlight bracket carrier, it was only mildly bent but it was giving me some fitment issues and after attempting to rebend myself I threw in the towel and got a new one.

Originally I sourced a blue hood to repair and repaint but I came across an Alpine White one. It is in great shape and after some PDR and a proper paint correction it will be better than my original hood.

With the headlight carrier replaced that means I can install the horn, wheel liner, and most importantly the headlights which means I am road legal.

Road legal wagon = back to work! Shipping some wheels for my friend.

I took a moment to explore my xi spec KW V3s fitting into my RWD/M5 spindles.

Looks like I will have to explore some shims, if I can't find a solution then at least I know KW sells coilovers individually which is great, as a bonus I would be able to get the V1s which are great for my intended use, V3s are overkill.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

I had a rough idle and some misfires popping up and after chasing my tail for a bit swapping coils and plugs I decided to just refresh all plugs to eliminate them collectively as a variable.
Went with Bosch plugs but will go back to gapped NGKs once I start running more ethanol and boost.

Old NGKs

New Boschs

Checked injectors via INPA

Due to a leaking radiator to oil filter housing hose there was a considerable amount of oil which had been dripping and blown onto the front of the engine by the radiator fan (so much for the spotless engine), the leak has been resolved but the belt still squeaked and wasn't sitting 100% correct on an idler pulley. With a fresh belt already on hand for this anticipated repair I removed the current one to check the pulleys, sure enough the upper idler was shot.

LIFE HACk: Your local O'reilly Auto parts (at least mine in San Diego) can order parts from local German part suppliers such as SSF and usually get both "Genuine BMW" and OEM brands like Febi, Lemforder, Uro, Ina, etc. Similar to what is available on ECS Tuning but the kicker is a delivery can happen quickly. From placing my order at the local store to them calling saying the part has arrived was less than 1 hour and the pulley I ordered was the same brand as what I was replacing, in this case Ina (OEM producer). Amazon Prime and Amazon Now can't compete!!

My plate turned out to be more controversial than I thought it would which is fine, to each their own. The intent was for the plate to describe the composition of the wagon; functionally it's an M5 with an N54 motor. All the chassis, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain upgrades that make an M5 an M5 are on my wagon so consider it an M5 with a motor swap. Sure the VIN reads 535xi so it's "not technically an M5" but if you value VIN numbers over the driving experience and function then you are missing out! For the record I tried to get "NOT AN M5" but it was taken in CA.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

maybe more a more suitable tag could've read: M5ish

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All