E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:26 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
...and more coding which still hasn't come full circle since the DSC/ABS is still inactive.
If I recall correctly, you stuck with a non-M 2WD ABS pump, right? Looking back through my trace files from when I converted my car, it seems once I removed the AWD stuff from the VO and updated the software/VIN in the DSC module to stock [from V63.0 files] I deactivated Hill Descent Control in the DSC (HILLDESC_DXC_8_0C) and KOMBI (DSC_ALLRAD_CC_WAHL, HDC_VERBAUT) modules. I also changed the 'driven wheels' parameter in SZL (ANTRIEBSDEFINITION) but don't recall that having an impact. This removed the option to select in my iDrive screen. I can't recall if I had errors prior to that when driving it but I distinctly remember bleeding the brakes using the ABS service function and noting that it couldn't too messed up since that worked. I also checked the start-off assist fuctionality with success.
Keep in mind I already had a manual so I don't know if there would be anything additional with that that I didn't have to do.

Cheers,

Andy
07 530iT "EX-XIT"

Last edited by amesser325; 08-30-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added parameters modified
Old 09-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by 535xrayindigo
It does sound sweet! Sounds like it would be at home on a racetrack or a supercar.

Gotcha. I am thinking about running a M5 rear diff and keeping the front diff then running staggered 19 and 20. Should work just fine, just need to turn off the E-diff. From what I have seen the computer doesnt care about the small difference, Mechanical binding does and the 4% difference in tire size should match the 4% difference in ratio. Tell me if I am crazy.
I am curious, why would you want the M5 LSD if you still plan on keeping AWD? I haven't seen any concrete data confirming the exactly what the DSC looks for when recognizing slip but what I heard and what I used as a rule is to keep the rolling diameter under 1% F/R. IIRC the DSC picks up the wheel rotation from the pulse generators and then if that is over a certain threshold the transfer case actuator is engaged to offer more traction. This makes sense as you will hear some guys in the E9X community say "yo, bro I run a staggered wheel setup (>1% rolling diameter) and there are no issues." Then down the road you see all these DSC errors and worn out transfer case actuators since they are going crazy trying to keep up with perceived clip.

Originally Posted by amesser325
If I recall correctly, you stuck with a non-M 2WD ABS pump, right? Looking back through my trace files from when I converted my car, it seems once I removed the AWD stuff from the VO and updated the software/VIN in the DSC module to stock [from V63.0 files] I deactivated Hill Descent Control in the DSC (HILLDESC_DXC_8_0C) and KOMBI (DSC_ALLRAD_CC_WAHL, HDC_VERBAUT) modules. I also changed the 'driven wheels' parameter in SZL (ANTRIEBSDEFINITION) but don't recall that having an impact. This removed the option to select in my iDrive screen. I can't recall if I had errors prior to that when driving it but I distinctly remember bleeding the brakes using the ABS service function and noting that it couldn't too messed up since that worked. I also checked the start-off assist fuctionality with success.
Keep in mind I already had a manual so I don't know if there would be anything additional with that that I didn't have to do.
You never explicitly stated it but I assume you don't have errors? You run the original AWD pump? Mechanically is your car RWD with the front drivetrain removed and RWD trans installed?

Yes, I have a regular rwd DSC pump. The M5 unit has 2 additional input sensors (acceleration and yaw?) which are part of the main wiring harness so I didn't want to go barking up that tree. The wizard who is helping me with the advanced coding states the hurdle as my chassis (E61) being mismatched with the RWD configuration in the US market since it was only offered in AWD here.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:13 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi hud night vision
Model Year: 08

I am curious, why would you want the M5 LSD if you still plan on keeping AWD? I haven't seen any concrete data confirming the exactly what the DSC looks for when recognizing slip but what I heard and what I used as a rule is to keep the rolling diameter under 1% F/R. IIRC the DSC picks up the wheel rotation from the pulse generators and then if that is over a certain threshold the transfer case actuator is engaged to offer more traction. This makes sense as you will hear some guys in the E9X community say "yo, bro I run a staggered wheel setup (>1% rolling diameter) and there are no issues." Then down the road you see all these DSC errors and worn out transfer case actuators since they are going crazy trying to keep up with perceived clip.
Feel like I am thread jacking here. If so, I will open a new thread.
The issues others experience are likey due to burned clutches and binding. To give some perspective the tone wheel only has about 50 teeth so it’s not a precise measuring tool. It is meant to detect large variations in wheels speed/slippage. Since the calculated difference in ratios matches tire differential there is no increased wear. Am I certain it won’t cause issues....no. Confident (dumb) enough to try it...yes. Lol.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Feel like I am thread jacking here. If so, I will open a new thread.
It's not thread jacking if I am asking questions, that is assuming you answer them. Why even add the LSD to AWD? It isn't clear to me what you will gain or what your goal is?
I never had traction issues even at well above stock power levels. If you track the car and really want to maximize the it's handling at the limit then that's a plausible explanation but merits the question: why even bother with a 535xi as a track weapon?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:49 PM
New Members

There are a few out there that have added lsd to awd and had nothing but positive things to say about it. There are a couple threads on some of the e90 forums.

As as far as why do so on a e61, I have always appreciated cars that are unexpectedly quicker than their looks would indicate. And having a wagon that would kill most other cars in a straight line and around corners is a sweet prospect.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

There are a few out there that have added lsd to awd and had nothing but positive things to say about it. There are a couple threads on some of the e90 forums.

As as far as why do so on a e61, I have always appreciated cars that are unexpectedly quicker than their looks would indicate. And having a wagon that would kill most other cars in a straight line and around corners is a sweet prospect.
I think UCSBWSR is right, why spend money on LSD on the AWD wagon? If you want a sleeper, put money on a tune, downpipes, larger turbos, FMIC, etc. it will be money better spent. I've read of other people with all previously mentioned mods and they still don't need LSD.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:57 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pocholin
I think UCSBWSR is right, why spend money on LSD on the AWD wagon? If you want a sleeper, put money on a tune, downpipes, larger turbos, FMIC, etc. it will be money better spent. I've read of other people with all previously mentioned mods and they still don't need LSD.
Cool. I am just getting started on my journey with the car. I didn’t realize that the awd system was coping at high hp levels. It is a good way off. So i will re-evaluate when I get to that level. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Cool. I am just getting started on my journey with the car. I didn’t realize that the awd system was coping at high hp levels. It is a good way off. So i will re-evaluate when I get to that level. Thanks for the input guys.
Let me start by saying it's your car, your build, and you can do whatever you like.
I am a man who defaults to logic and reason so fitting the M5 LSD to an AWD E61 didn't make sense when factoring in the amount of work it is to fit the LSD and the negligible gain in grip and handling characteristics so I was curious your reasoning. FWIW the E9X cars seem to really struggle with traction where the (I assume) weight of the E6X cars helps to put it down, they are putting 17" wheels and drag radials once they get above the 500whp, maybe it's for looks?

Regarding your comment about AWD handling power, that depends on your power level but once you get above 500awhp there is some good stress on the front drivetrain, it's pretty tiny and not built to handle extreme stress. Will it fail? This primarily depends on your power level, the tune (power delivery), and how you drive the vehicle. If torque is limited at lower rpms and lower gears and you are doing rolling pulls or spirited canyon it could last the life of the car. If you are brake boosting/ dumping the clutch from every stop light then don't expect to have the same luck.

From what I gather in the N54 community the AWD cars will experience reliability issues with the drivetrain before lack of traction is an issues and expect this to be even more lopsided with the E61s due to their ~500lbs (more DT stress and more grip).

Regarding the M5 LSD it is a different system that a lot of aftermarket diffs which instantaneously lock up both wheels once slip occurs, drift super stars and track heros appreciate the instant and consistent lock these systems offer. In contrast the M5 LSD uses two clutch packs which are activated by a hydraulically filled cylinder, as one wheels slips it builds pressure in the cylinder which is applied to the opposing clutch pack, engaging the opposite wheel, the system will dance back and forth maintaining optimum grip between both wheels. For outright grip it is superior to a completely locking unit but the M5 LSD can seen sluggish and harder for a driver to predict while doing something like drifting. Personally I love the M5 LSD since my goal was hooking up on the street and it does just that and very well I might add. The big let down of the unit is aside from some extremely "enhanced" gear oil BMW sells the clutch packs can't be serviced or replaced so once they wear the system develops slop. Missed opportunity there, being able to replace the discs would be great, not only to add life but to tune the LSD.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

You never explicitly stated it but I assume you don't have errors? You run the original AWD pump? Mechanically is your car RWD with the front drivetrain removed and RWD trans installed?
Correct - no errors, but I did swap out to a 2WD ABS pump/DSC module. I did the whole enchilada conversion as well, 2WD subframe, trans, etc. I have have a thread here if you are interested. Still working on the guide tho :-\ I kept the final drive as the stock 6MT AWD (3.38:1) with the future thought of moving to the sedan 3.23:1 for a bit lower engine speed at highway speeds but figured if I was going to do that I'd put in an LSD. Problem is the car is a pre-LCI 3L with 184k on it so I'm not sure the value:money ratio is there [I'm looking more for Grand Touring than rocket sled].

The wizard who is helping me with the advanced coding states the hurdle as my chassis (E61) being mismatched with the RWD configuration in the US market since it was only offered in AWD here.
Same here - I tried NL71 Euro 2WD wagon in the VO but that wasn't well liked in the service tool (ISTA+, never tried to connect with INPA) - just gave me an unrecognized vehicle or some such error. I ended up going with NE73 USA 2WD sedan and that works fine with no errors and full functionality. I think that has to do with the VIN decoding (just a guess). I confirmed this a day after putting it on the ground when we got 2 inches of snow and I had to disable the DSC so I could spin wheels up a hill instead of coming to a traction controlled stop.
As I look back on my VO, however, I'm reminded there is an option for 4WD that I presume you removed early in the coding process - $203, yes?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by amesser325
As I look back on my VO, however, I'm reminded there is an option for 4WD that I presume you removed early in the coding process - $203, yes?
Yes, that was one of the initial coding changes. With the advanced coding I will double check with changing the body style from wagon to sedan. My DSC module is from a 528i but from what I gather the hardware of the rwd E60s was all the same and the difference was in software/coding.

Cool to see someone going deep with drivetrain conversions, doing it "right", and documenting it; respect.

With your struts the 5mm sleeves solved your "xi strut" in "rwd spindle" issue?

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All