E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

My time has been consumed by a relocation down to San Diego but I have managed to give the wagon some more mods and maintenance. The wagon has been running strong with about 1,500 miles under the belt since surgery.
Here is a quick clip of it's current state with some ethanol and just under 20psi, M5 LSD makes for short gears but it hooks up really well, only once did the tires lose considerable grip, 1st gear is limited to 18psi...

Time to get the EOS port injection hooked up, in honor of the occasion I purchased a propel shirt #E85Life

Controller going in. Updated JB4 to the new 32.8 firmware which integrates E85 content into the PI controller algorithm which is pretty slick.

Started with ~E30 blend which is what I was running back when I was AWD, started in Map 5 and now am up to Map 7 and hitting about 19.5psi, changed FUD bit 6 to lock PID gain and adjusted the Duty Bias per rpm to tidy up my boost targeting. From what my amature eyes can tell the logs look good and the wagon is strong.

Her ugly side: Door dings and scrapes from mountain bikes, front bumper damage from when the engine blew, and a missing "N" from Hankook ...Kook of the Day!

I have some O2 sensor codes popping up every now and then so I bought a pair of lightly used sensors off eBay for $30. Oil got a flush (first time since engine replacement) and happy to report the used oil looked good, I kept a small amount I will let sit overnight just to double check for sediment.

Satisfying before and after pics of cleanliness

Checked my OCCs which have about 700 miles of collection time. High load on the left, low load on the right, Low load catches A TON of oil!

Snagged an aluminum iDrive knob from an M5. Aluminum>Plastic

All back together, still need to build the new headlights but the temporary "raw" setup has been a champ so far.

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 05-18-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

There has been some solid progress on the wagon over the past couple weeks, a few minor setbacks but overall things are progressing nicely.

- DSC wiring and coding issues have been fixed and system is now fully integrated and functional, all error codes have been resolved. (Wiring and Coding)
:burnrubber:

- Brake Lights now work (Wiring)

- Reverse Lights now work (Wiring)

- EOS port injection manifold is hooked up and working properly

- Custom Quad Projector Headlights are complete

I am BETA testing the new iOS JB4 Mobile which has some new features regarding ethanol content, a virtual ethanol sensor, and E content integration into port injection aglrithm via the JB4 PI controller. Pretty slick but my read outs seem to be a bit low vs what I think my actual content, I need to either test the actual E content of the ethanol, revert my E sensor connections so I can get content without any virtual sensor offset, or figure out what is causing the misread of my content.

I need to do this before I can really get the tuning (JB4 settings) dialed in. As it is the wagon is targeting 23psi and things look good although my LPFP is nearly out of pressure. Custom dual in tank LPFP setup is on the To Do list. Currently I am pretty happy with the performance of the wagon, it essentially puts all the power down in a straight line with a couple tire chirps here and there. I don't see myself pushing the motor much beyond where I am, perhaps up the boost a few psi once the fuel system is addressed.

Had a nasty surprise when I came out to the garage to find my shelving unit broke which sent a 15" loudspeaker and audio receiver crashing down into the passenger door and fender. I got luck as all of it except for a small dent buffed out, it could have been way worse. No big deal really as my exterior has imperfections from being a daily driver and these were just added to the collection.

Checking on LMA wiring

Turns out I wired the reverse switch from the trans (RED WIRE) into LMA pin 18 instead of 13, reverse lights and PDC now work.

Yes, I have a light bar for reversing
Yes, it is awesome.
No, it is not hooked up on a switch to blind people, it is wired in with oem functionality.

Referencing TIS online, Bentely manual, and my chicken scratch to isolate the DSC wiring issues

Back in for the DSC module

There were 3 sets of identical wires, 2 twisted pairs and 1 individual wires (marked with blue tape). One pair I had in the wrong location which resolved the brake light issue. When I swapped the other twisted pair (one was PT CAN) the car threw more errors and flipped the windshield wipers on permanently, lol clearly I had it right the first time.

After a few remote coding sessions @Levan-i was able to resolve my coding issue for me, he was instrumental in getting this resolved and I can't thank him enough for his time and effort. NO MORE ERROR CODES!

No more dash light!

Checked out a local BMWCCA San Diego Chapter event. BMWs, brats, girlfriend, dog, and the San Diego bay ....good day.

Getting lost

Last pic with the "unfinished" headlights

Finished up my custom headlights the night before Bimmerfest

They look "cool" but these things are all about output: sharp WIDE low beam with great control and a large high beam with great intensity.

Lasers

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 06-16-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi wagon

Holly Molly! That is freaking bright! I don't know if I will get a ticket for "too bright"!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i Sport Package
Model Year: 2009

WOW! Super cool project and thanks for the continued updates. I just got my E60 and look forward to referencing this thread for the build. Take care and keep updating us.

Steve
Old 06-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Here are a few clips I have which are a decent representation of the wagons current state.

It is decently fast, hooks up well, spits fire, makes a good noise, and has 3 pedals. Diggin it.

Evan

Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Upgraded my reverse led light bar from a Rigid SR 6" in Flood optic (LEFT) to a Diode Dynamics SS6 in Wide optic (RIGHT).

The DD SS6 wide has a fluted lens to help with the width. Paul the owner of Diode Dynamics is all about optical efficiency and his products perform REALLY well against higher powered competition.

Mounted

Output pics

Rigid top, Diode Bottom. At this distance the Rigid looks great with it's more focused Flood beam but the Diode is much wider and has great intensity at closer distances where you would normally use a revers light.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

After resolving some previous DSC codes (thanks to Levan) I had another pop up after a short drive, presumably it was suppressed by the previous codes but this code was related to my clutch pedal signal was always being "on."

Long story short I had the clutch switch wire which runs to the DME in the correct pin location but on the wrong connector, my wiring was ALL wrong on this MT conversion. lol

Clutch switch is the purple wire, pic below is the WRONG connector. Funny thing is pin #18 was perfectly unoccupied with the surrounding pins filled.

Here is the CORRECT pin #18 on the smaller grey connector.

With that small victory under my belt I turned to evaluating my upcoming shifter modification where I will take my UUC SSK, remove the adjustable aluminum sleeve, and have the lower steel half cut and then add M10x1.5 threads. This will make the shifter modular and I can swap shift rods as I need to fine tune the length.

The ORIGINAL plan was to build a Ferrari/Lambo inspired gated shifter but unfortunately after some research and deliberation I think the gated plate would probably create more issues that it's worth. As it is I still want to retain the stainless steel knob and rob look. My UUC is real direct and notchy so I think some added leverage and weight will compliment the function.

The plan

Typical weekend...

UUC with aluminum sleeve removed

UUC dia

Stainless steel rod dia

Top inch will be cut off and then 1.5" of M10x1.5 cut into the shifter

Something like this but shift knob will be ~2in shorter

Shift boot will be replaced with something more "awesome"

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 07-03-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e61 520d 09

[QUOTE=ucsbwsr;1563387]Deleted the rear wiper

Where did you get that plug for the wiper delete?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Theio

Where did you get that plug for the wiper delete?
I made it using an old HID bulb case which in size and shape is similar to those small black film canisters. I run about 1/2 of the case off and then used JB Weld to mount the a nut. I them Plastidipped it black.

The best part is the delete plug is threaded and can be removed or reinstalled easily. Same goes for the wiper, it simply slides on and then a nut holds it on. If I had the wiper in my car I could reinstall it in about 10 seconds if needed. Thankfully I live in CA and haven't needed it yet
Old 07-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

When pulling my shifter I noticed the PVC insert I made to firm up the shifter arm bushing had slid forward and out of position.

I secured it in position with some wire.

Shifter modified to accept threaded rods.

Installed

The shift rod and knob are solid stainless steel and quite heavy to the added weight and leverage really smooth things out which is a welcomed addition to the UUC's already very notchy and very direct movement. The shifter is a tad "floppy" with all that weight up top but this is only noticed when checking the shifter isn't in gear and other light movements, while driving when the shifter is used with intent it feels great. There is also a sense of occasion when using it from the looks, surface, shape, etc. Just what I was going for.

Up next is a custom boot to replace the overly saggy oem leather piece.

Evan

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All