E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Happy to share the build, also happy to taste quality beer.

Good looking out. I actually have one of these which is waiting to go in, just haven't installed it yet. Hoping for no downgrade in sound quality when making the jump to BT.

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-e...2-vdc--320-351
MyCarly recently began offering this, it seems like a good solution, easier to install too.

Carly Bluetooth Multimedia / AUX interface for E-model 5- and 6-series BMW Adapter and Retrofits Retrofits
Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by oclvframe
My ears are not offended by what i hear via the BT.....you'll have to let me know your thoughts once you plug one in....i just love not having to plug any audio cables in since I have a life proof case on my iPhone and plugging audio in is a little bit of a PIA!

-r
Originally Posted by pocholin
MyCarly recently began offering this, it seems like a good solution, easier to install too.

Carly Bluetooth Multimedia / AUX interface for E-model 5- and 6-series BMW Adapter and Retrofits Retrofits
I bought one of these this winter and after the previous post I built up enough motivation to finally install it which took all of 5 minutes. Sounds great but wish the track-advance steering wheel controls worked but happy the volume controls now do.

Sure Electronics' webstore Bluetooth V4.0 Audio Receiver Board w APT-X - BRB3

Evan
Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Removed the "#N54E61" decals from the rear windows.

Tried raising the idle with INPA to mitigate the chatter from the SMFW but was having trouble executing with INPA, tried MHD as well and was running into connectivity issues there as well. My previous tablet for MHD flashing was an older Astro Queo A712 so I snagged a used Nexus7 Gen II off eBay but the issue persists so I think it is my K+DCAN cable so I ordered one of the "legit" ones from HRTuning.

Interior is looking pretty good, need to get my hands on a set of oem brushed aluminum trim, tired of vinyl and want the real thing. I also ordered an aluminum iDrive knob form an M5

Trying to install DIS v57 so I can recalibrate the steering angle sensor and some other things but am having a hard time getting a free English version, I have successfully found French and Russian....

Noticed some rubbing when the front wheels are ALMOST at full lock, problem solved.

Spotted some sidewall blisters on a rear tire, thankfully I JUST made the cutoff my my warranty at America's Tire so that was replaced for free and I paid out of pocket for the other rear, tread was low so it was a good time to upgrade.

Now that I am RWD I don't have to worry about F-R rolling diameters which allowed me to make the jump from 275 to 285s in the rear, I am happy to finally reduce the tire stretch in the rear as it was previously too much for my preference, also nice to have more contact patch and MEAT in the rear.

Someone say MEAT!?

Fitment will be REALLY tight with the new rubber, I raised the rear air suspension a bit for added clearance but I might rub under BIG compressions, we will see. Down the road I plan to shave the mounting face down a bit and raise the offset so I have that to fall back on since I can't mangle the fenders or bumper any more.

Just sold my cylinder head so here is a rough break down on replacing my blown N54:

Blown N54 Block: Scraped

Damaged N54 from totaled 2011 335is w/ 35k: -$900

Unused components from junkyard N54 sold: +$950

Parts and tools to repair junkyard N54: -$450

Original N54 cylinder head sold: +$500

Total Expense for low mile N54 = No Expense

Dreaming of a pano roof delete....
+1.5" of headroom (I am 6'8") and -65 lbs from the roof. Win Win!
...although I can't imagine shipping a wagon roof from Europe would be cheap. :/
Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535 M-Sport

Dreaming of a pano roof delete....
+1.5" of headroom (I am 6'8") and -65 lbs from the roof. Win Win!
...although I can't imagine shipping a wagon roof from Europe would be cheap. :/
Whoa!! Ebay find?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sterile stork
Whoa!! Ebay find?
It is on eBay.co.uk
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: No BMW

Again, thank you for the update!

What about a body shop ordering the roof sheet metal? I wonder if that is a viable option. They might have ties or connections to get that roof metal piece. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mboat
Again, thank you for the update!

What about a body shop ordering the roof sheet metal? I wonder if that is a viable option. They might have ties or connections to get that roof metal piece. Just a thought.
If I went a custom route like that I would probably have the body shop weld a piece of metal into the opening for the pano roof opening, not sure how much work it would be to match the curvature so it would look seamless but definitely worth looking into. Either way there will be considerable labor and likely cost involved with the modification but boy would it be sweet.

Evan
Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535 M-Sport

It is on eBay.co.uk
As a heads up--looks like getbmwparts can get a non-sunroof roof panel for 1200 or so. I may or may not be falling down this rabbit hole.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sterile stork
As a heads up--looks like getbmwparts can get a non-sunroof roof panel for 1200 or so. I may or may not be falling down this rabbit hole.
Rabbit hole occupancy: us
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E61FUN
Wow. So your gonna weld up the hole?
Time will tell, ideally I would like to get an oem roof and headliner from Europe and have it properly swapped.

The other alternative is to have a sunroof delete glued/welded/fused into the pano opening, there are options like this for the E9X guys, some are CF. If a company was willing to produce one for the E6X I would certainly consider installing it. My concern would be proper fitment but if it was well designed then it would likely be the most cost effective option.

Ditching 60+lbs from the roof and adding headroom are HIGHLY desireable for me but it would be hard to justify the $X,XXX it would cost to execute the mod.

Evan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All