E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by 1BFL
Quick question for you. Is there more adjustability on the ride height from where you have your car set at? I'd like to be about an inch lower than that on my car. Hows the ride quality? I've got the H&R springs and they're a complete nightmare.

Thanks!
Absolutely, there is plenty of room to go. This was just the ride height that ISC set it at for us. We are going lower with it, but at the time I did not roll the fenders and the 275s were rubbing a bit. With them no rolled I think we can go a bit lower and wider in the rear.

As for the ride quality if you read a few post up I talk about it.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM
bh!
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Touring

Originally Posted by Island Road
Yes I would hold off on these and go directly to ISC. I will be in contact with them today and ask about the group buy and what the status is on that. A new thread will be made for the GP.
Excellent, thanks for the info. Please link to the group buy in this thread when it gets fired up. I think I can wait but I may contact ISC, all four of my shocks are in dire need of replacement haha.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:17 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by bh!
Excellent, thanks for the info. Please link to the group buy in this thread when it gets fired up. I think I can wait but I may contact ISC, all four of my shocks are in dire need of replacement haha.
Here you go!

Group Buy is up and running for those that are interested.

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...o-sale-142983/
Old 09-22-2015, 09:17 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT

In the 1st post, you speak very highly of JRZ. How does this ISC setup compare to their offering in terms of quality, adjustability, support, etc? I plan on keeping my wagon for the next 10 years and want to make sure that what I'm getting here will last that long. Of course, I understand if it requires servicing somewhere in between.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a setup that provides for a modest lowering and near stock comfort. In your opinion, is this kit the best option available to meet these goals?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:19 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver
In the 1st post, you speak very highly of JRZ. How does this ISC setup compare to their offering in terms of quality, adjustability, support, etc? I plan on keeping my wagon for the next 10 years and want to make sure that what I'm getting here will last that long. Of course, I understand if it requires servicing somewhere in between.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a setup that provides for a modest lowering and near stock comfort. In your opinion, is this kit the best option available to meet these goals?
JRZ are awesome shocks hands down you can't go wrong with them at all. As for keeping shocks 10 years well depending on how much you drive I would suggest having them serviced in between that time like you had mentioned. I am not sure of JRZ warranty, I know KW V3 is 5 years ISC is 5 years also. To rebuild a KW shock is upwards of 100+ not sure about ISC. I also can't speak on of the quality of JRZ but I have seen them on plenty of track cars so I know they are robust. I would considering JRZ the top of the line but you are going to be paying exactly that, they are the most expensive option for our cars ATM i think running over 4k for a per a set, then you have KW V3 at just over 3k and ISC at 1k.

I have run KW V3 in my 335i and they are great shocks also, dual adjustability. While this is very good if you are really going to be tracking your car the avg user is not going to utilize all the adjustments. It takes a few track days and tuning to have a dual adjustable suspension setup just perfect. Also more time spent on the road fine tuning as well ect, this is not to say you won't do just that but might be overkill for a daily.

The ISC is single adjustable, so far they seem of good quality and the ride quality is great. Granted we have only have them on for about 4 months so time will tell but with a 5 year warranty, local to us and removed the rear air-bag (only ISC) this of course willing to work with us to develop a shock as well this was a no brainer choice. ISC also puts there shocks on a lot of track BMW cars, and has a few track cars themselves so that says something right there. I have talked to bimmerworld about ISC and they also swear by them as well and use them on their track cars.

As for support I am sure all the companies are going to offer their help, I don't think you need to worry about that. If money was not an issue and I was 80% on the track as well I prob would of gone with JRZ but it's hard to justify that cost for a daily for us anyway. I would do some research on other forums as well and see what works best for your needs those 3 choices are all good. Also feel free to call us the shops and ask questions, if you call ISC ask for Andrew and he will gladly answer any questions that you might have in more detail than I outlined here. Good luck and let me know what you picked! Be sure to review your selection in this thread as well.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT

Thanks for all of the information here, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

Well, I dont know if you guys remember me from earlier posts on this thread, but I drove a really crappy road yesterday, it was a nightmare on the the H&R Springs. I also got the springs in the first place because I was starting to thinking about a 2nd car at the time and didnt have too much money to buy the KV3s. I bought the springs in July of last year.

So again here I am... about 6 months later.... I didnt have much problems with the springs, but the more I drove on different roads I got annoyed with the constant shaking that happens to me while sitting in that drivers seat. To add to that I rub my rear wheels when I got my summer set on, on some of the bigger bumps, and people still say to lower my car LOL. Im fine with the drop the springs gave me but iv been looking at some of the E60s on air ride or coilovers and damn, those look sexier. Since Im now fully dedicated on making my E60 a good daily and bad-ass I think Id be ready to get coilovers and just admit i wasted 270 bucks on springs (maybe ill try to sell them and get some money back.)

So my question, do you guys at Island Road have a set for an E60 (SEDAN) Xi (AWD) model? Iv yet to check the website, I will do that later. Figure id ask here anyway. And I hope these are cheaper than KW V3s.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

After having my ISC coilovers for a few months I can say I really like them...and I've only converted the front so far. Reason is I wasn't ready to remove the air bags in the rear in October (when i installed the front). I have installed coding software in my laptop and I'm now ready...as soon as the Spring arrives. Can't wait to do the rear!
I like the fact that ISC can cater to different driving styles, sport, comfort, aggressive/track, you haev the choice of not lowering anything at all, or go upto 3", and they give you the option of front only or all around packages for the E61. Great alternative to KW V3s, much more affordable too. I have never driven a wagon with the KWs, nor seen the KWs, so I cannot say anything about differences between them, but I really like my ISCs.

PD. nobody is paying me, nor do I have any affiliation to ISC.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Island Road
JRZ are awesome shocks hands down you can't go wrong with them at all. As for keeping shocks 10 years well depending on how much you drive I would suggest having them serviced in between that time like you had mentioned. I am not sure of JRZ warranty, I know KW V3 is 5 years ISC is 5 years also. To rebuild a KW shock is upwards of 100+ not sure about ISC. I also can't speak on of the quality of JRZ but I have seen them on plenty of track cars so I know they are robust. I would considering JRZ the top of the line but you are going to be paying exactly that, they are the most expensive option for our cars ATM i think running over 4k for a per a set, then you have KW V3 at just over 3k and ISC at 1k.

I have run KW V3 in my 335i and they are great shocks also, dual adjustability. While this is very good if you are really going to be tracking your car the avg user is not going to utilize all the adjustments. It takes a few track days and tuning to have a dual adjustable suspension setup just perfect. Also more time spent on the road fine tuning as well ect, this is not to say you won't do just that but might be overkill for a daily.

The ISC is single adjustable, so far they seem of good quality and the ride quality is great. Granted we have only have them on for about 4 months so time will tell but with a 5 year warranty, local to us and removed the rear air-bag (only ISC) this of course willing to work with us to develop a shock as well this was a no brainer choice. ISC also puts there shocks on a lot of track BMW cars, and has a few track cars themselves so that says something right there. I have talked to bimmerworld about ISC and they also swear by them as well and use them on their track cars.

As for support I am sure all the companies are going to offer their help, I don't think you need to worry about that. If money was not an issue and I was 80% on the track as well I prob would of gone with JRZ but it's hard to justify that cost for a daily for us anyway. I would do some research on other forums as well and see what works best for your needs those 3 choices are all good. Also feel free to call us the shops and ask questions, if you call ISC ask for Andrew and he will gladly answer any questions that you might have in more detail than I outlined here. Good luck and let me know what you picked! Be sure to review your selection in this thread as well.
Hi Island Road, I am having some issues with the rear air bags not deflating and I'm anxious to get the ISC suspension kit that eliminates the OEM rear air bags. The EHC control module itself is $450. Might as well replace the whole suspension at that price.

Did you get a chance to get the steps to code out the error messages when the bags are removed? Where can I purchase the ISC bag-less suspension kit?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 AM
RCB
New Members

My Ride: E61 535Xit

Is anyone running coilovers from Fortune auto? They are built and serviced in the US and come with tons of options like swift or hypercoil springs, custom valving, etc.
They make a few versions for the E61 that can be fine tuned with springs and valving.

http://www.fortune-auto.com/500series.htm

I spent a little extra on KWv3 but I was on the fence with these. I use my car up in the mountains of Vermont in the winter so I just wanted the piece of mind that I had S.S. shock bodies.

Quick Reply: Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!