E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

alright cool, thats not too bad. Id be down to buy a set just got to see if i will have money, if anything ill buy it for full price. I just got my new wheels put on and everyone says that all i need now is a drop haha. I got a E60, so i guess id pay the 999 if i were to be in the first 10 people or so. Since there is no air suspension in the first place in the E60
Old 08-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 E61 535i Touring

Will the bag-less kit do anything to address the warning light on the dash when they're removed?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 530XI

What are the bodies of this kit made of? Are they going to be protected against rust and corrosion. Ideally I would like to see them made of Stainless steel with aluminum collars like the KW's. But at that price point I am not sure they can.

However KW makes kits for other vehicles at that price range. It just sucks that they only offer a kit for the E61 in their most expensive version.

Please let us know about the ride. I am also very interested in being in on the group buy.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 30d, E39 35i
Model Year: 2004, 2001
Engine: M57n

I'm running KW STx's, which are supposedly the same as the V1 bar body material. Build quality still looks high, but ride quality...although great at first, once settled..feels kinda harsh. Wish i got something damper adjustable really
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM
New Members

I bought springs, maybe down the road ill invest in coilovers. But for now that is going have to do. The wheel gap is annoying me, and although i know the ride is going to be crappier It cant be as bad as a lowered mazda 3 lol.

All this is so annoying to me im actually thinking of taking this into my hands lol. Make some models of parts to fit the Xi on the computer and maybe make some prototypes. I am graduating college soon so I think that be a cool first project to tackle on my own time and have that in my portfolio.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW M3

I have the H&R lowering springs on my E61 and the thing rides like complete crap. I will be doing coilovers in the very near future. Any word on those ISC's?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Cpalacay
Will the bag-less kit do anything to address the warning light on the dash when they're removed?
This will need to be coded so no warning lights come on. We will be doing this shortly and I will post up a How-To once complete.

Originally Posted by AliensRGr8
What are the bodies of this kit made of? Are they going to be protected against rust and corrosion. Ideally I would like to see them made of Stainless steel with aluminum collars like the KW's. But at that price point I am not sure they can.

However KW makes kits for other vehicles at that price range. It just sucks that they only offer a kit for the E61 in their most expensive version.

Please let us know about the ride. I am also very interested in being in on the group buy.
My understanding is that they are made of stainless and aluminum collars already, I can confirm this though.

Originally Posted by jinsta
I'm running KW STx's, which are supposedly the same as the V1 bar body material. Build quality still looks high, but ride quality...although great at first, once settled..feels kinda harsh. Wish i got something damper adjustable really
Unfortunately KW does not offer a ST kit of us E61 guys.

Originally Posted by Kasmo
I bought springs, maybe down the road ill invest in coilovers. But for now that is going have to do. The wheel gap is annoying me, and although i know the ride is going to be crappier It cant be as bad as a lowered mazda 3 lol.

All this is so annoying to me im actually thinking of taking this into my hands lol. Make some models of parts to fit the Xi on the computer and maybe make some prototypes. I am graduating college soon so I think that be a cool first project to tackle on my own time and have that in my portfolio.
Kit finished with the exception of finalizing spring rates. If you want an affordable coilover kit I would suggest looking at ISC.

Originally Posted by 1BFL
I have the H&R lowering springs on my E61 and the thing rides like complete crap. I will be doing coilovers in the very near future. Any word on those ISC's?
The kit is complete and finished. We are just finalizing spring rates but will be available very shortly for a group buy.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:43 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

We have the car back from the ISC with the rears complete. The ride is complete transformed with body roll is all but gone. We have been playing with the various settings on the dampers making things a bit firmer. They are 32way adjustment right now we have found around 15 clicks in the ride behaves very nice firm but not overly aggressive. The great thing driving with this kit is the amount of confidence restored when taking fast corners or high-speed on-ramps.

The car was driven for about a week with only the front shocks and retaining the rear airbag setup. Overall the ride improved but were the kit shined was when everything was replaced front to back.

I snapped some poor quality pictures of the front and rear setup. Things need a good cleaning as well but this gives you the idea how what your setup will look like. I cant say how the install was considering ISC took care of all of that. I can say the ride quality is not harsh while still be being firmly planted to the ground. Being able to take a lot of speed into a on-ramp is no longer a iffy experience and makes you just want to push the car even more. I would expect things to only improve once the spring rates are finalized and the swift springs are installed and adjustments dialed in.

Front Suspension

Name:  QAbsFpg.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  210.0 KB

Name:  oMxG31r.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  237.7 KB

Name:  eNrnt3j.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  283.1 KB

Rear Suspension

Name:  uihZCVi.jpg
Size:  254.6 KB

Name:  CwSnpgn.jpg
Size:  406.8 KB

Name:  RbNtlX8.jpg
Size:  266.7 KB

Name:  bNxpJPN.jpg
Size:  304.6 KB

Name:  pJDLXqh.jpg
Size:  272.3 KB
Old 08-14-2015, 06:17 PM
New Members

Good to hear. I had a feeling this would happen. Hahaha I finally end up getting springs and the coilover set would be basically finished or super close to being done. Oh well...

I got a E60. So unless they are direct fit and everything then thats awesome. Might just wait until next summer for these. We will see how much I like the springs etc. If i fit them and my tires rub etc... then ill getting rid of those.

Im curious about the quality of the ride on the springs I know its going to be worse than stock but by how much? I had a mazda 3 and on stock suspension it was one of the worst rides iv encountered. But i dealt with it and never really paid attention. Now imagine if i still had that thing and lowered it...

I cant wait for the reviews you guys will have. The first group buy people. Interested on how good these will be!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Looking forward for one set.

Quick Reply: Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!