E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Burnt Clutch on an M5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

My car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now with SMG problems!

My problem is slightly different, my car would not go into gear, and when it finally did, it went into gear with a bang. The car never ran right after that! Gear changes were clunky, and there was a grinding noise when clutch releases! Surprisingly.. no error code whatsoever!

Dealer tried reprogramming the SMG, no luck! They have been waiting for 2 weeks for BMW Germany to get back to them with technical support!

The car's still there and no news yet!

My car is a 2006 model with 19K miles on it! And still under warranty!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by designo' post='1084967' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:58 PM

My problem is slightly different, my car would not go into gear, and when it finally did, it went into gear with a bang. The car never ran right after that! Gear changes were clunky, and there was a grinding noise when clutch releases! Surprisingly.. no error code whatsoever!

Dealer tried reprogramming the SMG, no luck! They have been waiting for 2 weeks for BMW Germany to get back to them with technical support!

Can someone explain why 2006 M5's have so many SMG problems compared with 2007+? Was something physically changed between 2006 and 2007 in the SMG transmission?

I wish you could just swap in the DCT from the M3 into the M5. I am sure that would be a pain in the ass though.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by designo' post='1084967' date='Jan 5 2010, 07:58 PM

Ahmed, is your dealer giving you any grief for all your mods or are they doing the work under warranty anyway?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1085051' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:15 AM
Ahmed, is your dealer giving you any grief for all your mods or are they doing the work under warranty anyway?
My dealer has been very understanding about my mods, that's why I am not making a fuss about this delay. My tech told me that should any fault be directly related to my aftermarket part, then it will not be covered under warranty. Otherwise, anything else is.

My warranty expires in March, that's why I am worried because the dealer will not extend it without a comprehensive service package ( which I do not need due to my low mileage ) which will cost me $ 16K. Yeah you heard me, $ 16K for an extended 2 year warranty and service package.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by designo' post='1085061' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:27 PM
My dealer has been very understanding about my mods, that's why I am not making a fuss about this delay. My tech told me that should any fault be directly related to my aftermarket part, then it will not be covered under warranty. Otherwise, anything else is.

My warranty expires in March, that's why I am worried because the dealer will not extend it without a comprehensive service package ( which I do not need due to my low mileage ) which will cost me $ 16K. Yeah you heard me, $ 16K for an extended 2 year warranty and service package.
Cool. Hope they get everything sorted out and fixed for you soon and without any hassle.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Senior Members

I just miss my beast so much! I need to get behind the wheels of it orelse I'm gonna lose my head!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by designo' post='1085105' date='Jan 6 2010, 03:25 AM
I just miss my beast so much! I need to get behind the wheels of it orelse I'm gonna lose my head!
I am wondering if it is even worth me buying a 2006 over a 2007 for cost savings if the SMG is that problematic. The car I will buy will probably have 6 months or a year worth of warranty coverage.

I really love the SMG, but I feel like the 6-speed manual will cause me less problems and costs in the long run at least when comparing a 2006 SMG to a 2007 6-speed manual....
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1085017' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:47 PM
Can someone explain why 2006 M5's have so many SMG problems compared with 2007+? Was something physically changed between 2006 and 2007 in the SMG transmission?
I wonder the same.. any insight?

545ipoeser, whats your overall feelings with this car/BMW now that you've finally got some light at the end of the tunnel? Still think you'll never buy another BMW?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BluedMan' post='1085254' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:52 AM
I wonder the same.. any insight?

545ipoeser, whats your overall feelings with this car/BMW now that you've finally got some light at the end of the tunnel? Still think you'll never buy another BMW?
to be honest with you, now that they've actually pulled through i respect them alot more than i did. their cars are great to have. But they are very problematic. this is my 4-5th bimmer, first one that was actually under warranty and all of them had serious issues engine wise. if you are going to drive a beemer out of warranty you better have the cash to back it up. Or be smart and just get one under warranty cause BMW parts are very expensive, and people that work on them are expensive also
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by designo' post='1084967' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:58 PM

aahhh that hurts man, my cars been in the shop for a month now, after it being in at the stealer for 2 weeks, i havent had my car in so long!!! a week after the clutch issue someone completely turned into my car. all cosmetic damage but after insurance and all that its been about 2 months since i drove my car! getttin it back next week hopefully. GL man!

Quick Reply: Burnt Clutch on an M5?