E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ultimate Eyebrow Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by PhilGT2008
I am in N Ireland and I can confirm the RacerBoss is well worth a PM. He sent me his LEDs over. Yet to get them installed due to our crappy weather but the LEDS are second to none!
Thanks PhilGT2008 - You will love them when you install them, keep them in the plastic cover and they will be safe. Try not to touch the yellow light emitting diode while installing. Oils\dust from your hand might reduce the power.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM
New Members

Thanks for the info;

Just done the first side of the mod. Got the led's from the uk superflux led superwhites. 20Ma bulbs 4 pins.
Just a few tips which I couldn't find much on the net pre doing this:

The job is a bit of a bugger. The led wiring is pretty easy once you have got going. I snipped off the led's with a pair of toenail scissors
to get them off before desoldering the board and removing the pins. just match the plus and minus sides to your new led's small side and large side.

The main struggle is with the diamond hard rubber!!! Real pain in the ass to remove.. I broke my leatherman blade tip half way through and resorted to the soldering iron
(be careful not to screw up the plastic just dig out the rubber. Then gently prize the section open. Not easily done!

Did the job replaced the main beam with blue bulb and old 510's with 8 led's bulbs (4 forward 2 on each side) off eBay.
Now looks wicked and a massive change from the old school.

Cheers

J

2003 e60 530d
Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
New Members

Just registered here having done the 1st side of this mod, so I had to register to thank the OP for the idea. Based in Ireland.
Other side will be done in a day or so. Purchased LEDs on Ebay.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Members

Excellent mod, i also live in the uk, can you give me the ebay link (or any link) for those leds please?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

You can mount any leds in there the question is durability ?

Then again the question is what are you looking for, you want the brightest or you want bright. Forum members who took the ebay route ended up with a redo sooner or later.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Members

I want bright and reliable, but can't seem to find any in the UK?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
New Members

I changed mine on my 04 545i like (Eugene did)over a year ago.. no issues with the brightness.. bought the LEDs from radio shack, they ran about 3.00 dollars a piece.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Members

Im in N Ireland and still havent had good enough weather to do this. If only I had a garage! Ahhh. Frustrating. The hardest part will be / is (as mentioned on here) cutting out the plastic to get to the LEDs.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Majika
The main struggle is with the diamond hard rubber!!! Real pain in the ass to remove.. I broke my leatherman blade tip half way through and resorted to the soldering iron
(be careful not to screw up the plastic just dig out the rubber. Then gently prize the section open. Not easily done!

2003 e60 530d
How long did it take you to cut the plastic out?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 AM
New Members

Cutting one side and replacing the LEDS took me 3 1/2 hours.. (first timer). The second side took 3 hours... I must stress this.. you must seal the plastic (LEDS-eyebrow) back into it's place using a contact adhesive. I used (3M plastic emblem and trim adhesive) which you can buy at your local parts store... You must do this to prevent moisture from getting in side the (LEDS-eyebrow) that you just cut out. What ever adhesive you use, you must allow the products recommended time to seal... so in all about a day.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Eyebrow Upgrade