E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Thermostat replacement... This is a real pain!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Long story short, I need a new thermostat. I already have the replacement, new BMW coolant, etc.

I've lifted the car on jackstands, drained the coolant, and I know where the thermostat is located. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get it out.

I see the two screws that hold it in, and there are 4-5 tubes going to it. I managed to get one out. The others are still suck behind a jumble of other cables and misc. other things that are in the way.

How much do I have to take apart to get this out?

There aren't any real DIYs here on the forum... already looked near and far. I have BMW TIS, but it's of no real help:

Name:  TrkvS.png
Views: 154
Size:  48.9 KB

Note the convenient ""Illustration show coolant thermostat removed" line. =\

I've been going at this since the morning.. almost at my wit's end. Pondering taking it to a local shop if it really is this bad.

On a note about the above.... If I do decide to take it somewhere else, I obviously can't drive it there with no coolant. I don't want to waste all of the coolant I just brought just to drive it over there, where they'll just drain it again. Would it be a bad idea to re-fill the coolant with what I drained out initially (just for the drive over to the shop)?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

How much harder is it for you to disconnect the water pump so you can get better access to the other hoses? I know you can do it.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Long story short, I need a new thermostat. I already have the replacement, new BMW coolant, etc.

I've lifted the car on jackstands, drained the coolant, and I know where the thermostat is located. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get it out.

I see the two screws that hold it in, and there are 4-5 tubes going to it. I managed to get one out. The others are still suck behind a jumble of other cables and misc. other things that are in the way.

How much do I have to take apart to get this out?

There aren't any real DIYs here on the forum... already looked near and far. I have BMW TIS, but it's of no real help:

Note the convenient ""Illustration show coolant thermostat removed" line. =\

I've been going at this since the morning.. almost at my wit's end. Pondering taking it to a local shop if it really is this bad.

On a note about the above.... If I do decide to take it somewhere else, I obviously can't drive it there with no coolant. I don't want to waste all of the coolant I just brought just to drive it over there, where they'll just drain it again. Would it be a bad idea to re-fill the coolant with what I drained out initially (just for the drive over to the shop)?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I replaced my thermostat last June. Remove the underside cover for access to the thermostat.
The TIS instruction is simple, but doing it is a different story (access is a bitch with little working space).
BMW Simple Thermostat.pdf Hope this helps. I removed references to removing the water pump.
Good luck
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by BIM530I
How much harder is it for you to disconnect the water pump so you can get better access to the other hoses? I know you can do it.

Good luck.
Not going at the water pump.. =\ That one sounds more risky, and I'd need to buy me some of those aluminum screws that you can only use once if I go there.

Originally Posted by Rizbel
I replaced my thermostat last June. Remove the underside cover for access to the thermostat.
Attachment 128340 Hope this helps. I removed references to removing the water pump.
Good luck

Your thread was one of the ones I looked through
However, in my searches, I've found that the positioning for the 545 thermostat is a bit different than that in a 525. I've found several guides for 545's, 550's, and M5's. Nothing for my lowly 525xi though

The thing is like... in a tiny corner, covered by other tubes. I could probably get at the front-ish three tubes with more time and patience, but I have no idea how to get at that back one.

Would anyone with a Bentely manual be able to scan/take a picture of the relevant pages? Do they say anything about the 525xi?

I'm not sure where to attack those back cables from.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Ricapar

Not going at the water pump.. =\ That one sounds more risky, and I'd need to buy me some of those aluminum screws that you can only use once if I go there.

Your thread was one of the ones I looked through
However, in my searches, I've found that the positioning for the 545 thermostat is a bit different than that in a 525. I've found several guides for 545's, 550's, and M5's. Nothing for my lowly 525xi though

The thing is like... in a tiny corner, covered by other tubes. I could probably get at the front-ish three tubes with more time and patience, but I have no idea how to get at that back one.

Would anyone with a Bentely manual be able to scan/take a picture of the relevant pages? Do they say anything about the 525xi?

I'm not sure where to attack those back cables from.
I'll post the whole DIY; I think it's for the 525i.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMW Thermostat.pdf (504.6 KB, 752 views)