E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Successfully retrofitted to Bi-Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry bout this but I'm a little new to this, let me get this straight, so u guys are putting an after market hid kit to ur halogen headlights? Cause I'm trying to swap out my halogen lights and putting in stock oem projector bi-xenons no adaptive feature to my E60. am I gonna run into the same strobing effect with the stock ballast and igniter? and will this 4700 uf 35v capacitor fix the strobing and error message? will i have to bring it in to the dealer to reset the control module? and finally will i have to add any extra wires or ground to the wirings? any info will help, about to receive all my parts needed...just waiting for the stock ballasts igniter and bulb...spent a whole lot of money already..
Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the light error message goes out as soon as the problem is fixed so no resetting at the dealer.

the capacitor basically just tricks the lighting module into thinking 55Watts are drawn and gives it full power. without, the module senses a low draw and goes into safemode which causes the strobing.

most hid-kits now have the anti flicker built into it but if it doesn't adding the capcitor will help of you can buy a anti flicker harness that will eliminate the flickering. either way it's the same concept with the difference that one is integrated and one is seperate.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Members

kool thanks, that sheds a lot of light on the subject...also one more question, i keep hearing about people saying u have to get a new LCM when u do the swap, do u still have to do this too with the capacitor? my car's production date is 05/05, they said cars made after 09/06 doesn't need a new one. LCM = Light control module? not the ballast right? im not really a car guy so bare with me...hehe

thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mtrinh1' post='748309' date='Dec 18 2008, 10:23 PM
kool thanks, that sheds a lot of light on the subject...also one more question, i keep hearing about people saying u have to get a new LCM when u do the swap, do u still have to do this too with the capacitor? my car's production date is 05/05, they said cars made after 09/06 doesn't need a new one. LCM = Light control module? not the ballast right? im not really a car guy so bare with me...hehe

thanks
If you wire in the capacitor, you dont need a new LCM (light control module) which is located under your steering wheel, towards the left hand side of the car (dont even mess with this thing). The ballast controls the bulb and you dont have to do anything to this. If you were to ask BMW if this mod could be done, they would tell you a new LCM is needed....this is untrue. You can buy 2 capacitors at radio shack for $10.00...and wire these in parallel.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Members

kool thanks, finally some good news lol... gonna start putting it in tomorrow
Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Hello!

My first entry here

First of all, this forum is great! Lot's of helpfull stuff here, and not at least this thread about retrofitting Bi-xenon headlights. Thanks a lot!
Me too wanted to go for this and found some headlamps in excellent condition on e-bay. As I ordered these and were waiting I found this thread and felt ready to install.

Upon receival of the headlamps (in great condition!) I sensed that something was not as straight forward as I hoped for. The contact/socket on the new headlamps is of a different shape and type than on my original headlamps.
My car is a 2005 525D (european) and the lamps seem to be from a 2008.

See pictures below. Top picture is my headlamp (the new xenon) and bottom picture is one I found from the internet with the socket type I have on my original halogen headlights. As you can see there is one big socket and one small below, and different type of contact.

Are there any solution around this problem, or must I re-sell these excellent looking headlights and find older ones?
If any of you have suggestions I would be very thankfull

I also added a front picture of the headlamps. Niiice!

Best regards,
Jan

Successfully retrofitted to Bi-Xenon Headlights-contact.jpg
Successfully retrofitted to Bi-Xenon Headlights-from_internet.jpg
Successfully retrofitted to Bi-Xenon Headlights-lykt.jpg
Old 09-18-2009, 03:27 AM
Members

sorry to dig up the old post...
but can anyone tell me how did they fix the "Parking light error" for this?
cant manage to fix it....i got the xenon working however.

Its a 2003 model e60.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Chk out https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85770 ... GL!

Originally Posted by alpha33' post='1010918' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:27 AM
sorry to dig up the old post...
but can anyone tell me how did they fix the "Parking light error" for this?
cant manage to fix it....i got the xenon working however.

Its a 2003 model e60.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d
No, the extra load from the capacitor is enough to fool the warning system. I have used this to retrofit oem xenons to my car, plug and play
where do you mount the capacitor 1 for each wire brown and yellow?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rambmw1
where do you mount the capacitor 1 for each wire brown and yellow?
Resistor does not work. You will need a new LCM. Capacitor mounts to the brown and yellow wire. This prevents strobing not the parking error.

Quick Reply: Successfully retrofitted to Bi-Xenon Headlights