E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by kreveta
This is awesome. I don't want the paddles. I just want the SAT.

If I just do the hardware swap, what exactly will I miss?

I'd love to have a better throttle response and more convenient (occasional) shifting.

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Revmatching, sportindicator on cluster, gearindicator when in ds mode - oh, and yes, the delicious paddles...
I don't have the paddles. But I do have revmatching, sport indicator in the cluster, gear indicator when in DS mode, and manual mode. The only thing i am missing is the paddles I think. Until I drive another car with factory SAT I am convenced I have full funtionality. The problem is there won't be an xi with factory SAT for me to compare.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

good on you. And thanks to your own tinkering too.. The rest of us who paid dearly to get professional help didn't get that far without taking the full package. Great to hear you can get 98% without the paddles.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Ok... I admit I have not studied this info very much but since you say it does not work I figure my comments can't hurt and might create some new thoughts:

1) The diagram in post 178 says pin 11 on x6031 is blue/grey not red/white (if it existed)

2) and x6031 is the one I circled in red:

Attachment 117714

3) I can't figure out why you are looking for any wire either red/white or blue/grey. The wire doesn't exist if there are no paddles - isn't that why you are needing to add the wire?

4) What color is the wire from the matching connector that pin 11 goes to?

I hope this helps!

hi NoQuarter ,

1. nobody knows here which is connector x6031 realy ... the black or the white !
In the SIB you can read " (The most convenient location to monitor the paddle
shifter signals is the connector X6031 (12-pin black)),
2. the black also the white connector (on the pictur) have a red/white cable.
3. ... for a blue/grey cable i didnt looked ... on the black you can see "a" blue/grey cable too...
4. on a print from BMW , the connector X6031 is white ... so what now ???

To get realy sure we need :

We need a picture from Wpg550 or NavarroOne s ebox an the "new connected cable" or a wiring scheme of connector X6031 to get sure and find what is now that fu*cking connector X6031 realy (the black or the white) and to know the pins (which pin is for what).

sometime in future we will find the answer

@Wpg550

i gave a DIY to navrrowone how to find the pin box ... how to do .
a picture from your e-box thats will be great .
Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by Wpg550
kreveta - the rev matching effectively "blips" the throttle on downshifts so that you don't get a huge engine-braking drag every time you downshift. As for the "safety" behaviour of the auto trans, you get a lot more leeway with the SAT option... it will let you downshift and rev match as long as you dont exceed the rev limit, and if you are in manual mode with "sport" button pressed, then you can drive away at the rev limiter without it upshifting for you Note - in DS or without the "sport" button pressed it will still intervene to upshift...
HM, I suspect mine still isn't 100% correctly coded if that's the case. I don't have the "sport" indicator in the instrument cluster so I know that one is missing. I've also found that the car will upshift at the rev limiter regardless whether sport and DS are engaged. So I'll have to have those two aspects checked. One thing I'm worried about if there is any more coding done to the car, is whether the heavy steering I enjoy so much, will be tampered with. Let me explain! During one of the recodings where the stealer got part of it right, and I did have the "sport" indicator in the instrument cluster, the steering was suddenly light/normal when in Sport mode. I thought I detected a very slight heavier feel to it than normally but I can't be sure it wasn't a placebo effect! And if the correctly coded SAT is supposed to be that way, then I'd rather have what I have. Currently, putting it in sport has a night and day effect on the steering - it gets H E A V Y !! It's almost as if the powersteering is disengaged. It requires two hands and I liken the feel to that of a single seater formula racer at standstill and when it starts rolling slowly; almost impossible to turn but once you get above 5-10 mph it gets more responsive. There is no question that you very clearly feel the difference and my wife would be unable and unwilling to drive the car with sport engaged. I love that setting as it reminds me of past days driving a formula car on race tracks (been there, done that, definetely doing it again sometime soon!). WPG550, does this description resonate with your experience or are you feeling a more subtle difference between normal and sport as far as steering is concerned?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

A final note on suspension. I have a touring which means active air suspension in the rear is standard but up front it's a normal fixed setup. When I put the car in sportsmode, I sometimes think I feel the suspension is harsher, bumpier and less dampening. I guess that will be the case if you have active suspension all over but do you think/know whether there is any effect on the touring with standard suspension - maybe I'm just imagining things - placebo effect again? Or is there something about it??
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

While awaiting answers to above, I've done a little testing as to which speeds the car will upshift at, with a feathered throttle. I think I've now discovered the 3rd thing that is wrong with my SAT as there appear to be no difference between DS or Sport or DS+Sport modes, as regards to upshiting into sixth on the highway; it simply refuses to go into sixth (I only tested up to 160 km/h) and I believe it should upshift in either DS or Sport though when combined, it should remain in fifth - right?

Upshift speeds (KM/H) with feathered throttle:

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-upshift-table.png

It could be interesting to test upshift speeds at max throttle as well but need quite a bit of tarmac for that!

Perhaps, if you haven't already done it, you could test your car and upload your results? I assume they will be different depending on the engine size but that is less relevant; what is interesting is to see whether there is a difference in upshift behavior/speeds depending on whether in DS, Sport or Sport+DS mode.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Here's the same table, converted to MP/H for those in the US:

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-mph.png
Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Here's a post to summarize the problems I believe I still have even though the car supposedly no longer gives any error codes, after the additional wiring, paddle install and recoding:

1. There is no "sport" indicator in the instrument cluster
2. The car will upshift at the rev limiter regardless whether sport and DS are engaged.
3. There is no difference in shift points between DS, Sport or DS+Sport
4. Car will not upshft to sixth gear when in DS, Sport or DS+Sport. I believe it should upshift to sixth, except when in DS+Sport mode

I am still uncertain whether there is any influence on the suspension setting, given I have the touring air suspension in the rear

I am still uncertain whether the steering modification in Sport is supposed to be as rock heavy as it is - but I love it...
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

I haven't had the time yet to get to this mod, but as far as I understand, there is no difference between "Sport" and "DS" mode. Both should do the same (stiffer steering, remapped shifting). DS just allows you to upshift and downshift with the lever. If you have paddles on the steering wheel and prefer to use them, no need to engage DS, just press the Sport button (more convenient).
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

I appreciate you're trying to chip in and have an interest in the SAT mod - I can warmly recommend it, in spite of the complications you may meet.

There is supposed to be a difference between DS and Sport; else there is hardly any point in getting the SAT option if you already have SAT built in to the standard DS function. You could argue that a modified SAT DS is different then, by being identical to the sport mode, but I don't see why BMW would build the SAT with a DS mode duplicating Sport. Besides, I have first hand felt the difference between how one mode would allow upshift to sixth, and another mode would not. Unfortunately my friendly BMW dealer would subsequently reprogram the life out of that experience!

Moreover, you can shift manually any time by using the steeringwheel paddles, but unless you hold the paddles down, it reverts to automatic mode after about 5 seconds, unless you have lifted off the throttle and are engine braking. If you put the shifter in DS mode and subsequently engage a steeringwheel paddle, you enter into manual mode which is only cancelled if you move the shifter out of DS mode again.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit