E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SONAR LED Tail Lights - 08 OE replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010 | 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I am not sure I'm reading Umnitza's description correctly - if he would chime and let us know what's up with these, would be best of course. But it looks to me like Umnitza starts out with the same lights as the eBay light from that GB by redeyejedi, but takes it a step further and negates the need for Bruce's cables. The description on Umnitza's site says that there are resistors inside the lights, they are pnp and the brake light comes on ONLY when brakes are applied - otherwise, only the bars stay on.

If I'm correct in this assumption, we definitely need some pics to see how they look in real life (if anyone wants to ship me a pair under sponsorship, I'll gladly do a proper photoshoot ), because this would mean that these lights are neither the Sonars that are sold on eBay, nor Sonars from eBay+Bruce's cables.
has anyone found out if this is the case? because if The Umnitza's lights work like GB lights with the Bruce cables then I want a pair. a bumper for answers!
Old 12-15-2010 | 02:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

That is incorrect information and shows that the vendor doesn't actually know their products well.

Its true that the Sonar lights have resistors inbuilt to avoid the errors etc. But its not true to say that the Brake lights are off until the Brake is pressed. Infact that happens only when you use my cables. What Sonar have done is put resistors to reduce the intensity of the Brake lights, in an attempt to make the LED bars a bit more visible. However those brake lights are still on nevertheless. The downside of this Sonar design is that the Brake lights are dimmer even when you actually press the Brake - which I consider unsafe.
Old 12-17-2010 | 08:26 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

We've installed only two sets and those two sets were installed without our camera recharged. It was a while ago that we did it locally, mostly we sell them to ship.

If anyone local wants to come in for a test install so we can properly document it, you will get a free install out of it.