E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A couple of requests from those of you in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if any of the Europeans on this board can help me with a couple of requests:

1. I read about a month ago that the Copper Metallic exterior color has started production in European model E60's. Does anyone have (or can anyone take) pictures of this color and post them here?

2. According to some people the tail lights of the E60 were changed to LED tail lights with January production for European models. Again, any pictures of these tail lights?

Thanks in Advance,
rodybmw
Old 02-26-2004, 06:15 AM

U.S. spec cars have LED taillights now. I do not know when the change was made.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

He's asking about European cars.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Members

Rody,
See attached pic of my new 520. All European E60's have been built with LED brake lights which increase in brightness according to degee of braking force. However until January 2004 the system was de-activated as the system was not type approved under EEC regs. Since January all cars supplied in UK and EEC should have the brake force system activated and earlier built cars can be activated by dealer on request.
Mark-Yorkshire
Attached Thumbnails A couple of requests from those of you in Europe-dsc00667.jpg  
Old 02-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 26 2004, 09:15 AM
U.S. spec cars have LED taillights now. I do not know when the change was made.
Have you actually inspected the taillights up close or are you going by pictures? The E60 taillight lens/reflector is made in such a way that even the NON-LED versions have the look of many "points of light", but they don't actually have individual LED's in them. I have seen pictures of peoples E60's that were some of the first produced ones and have the old standard (incandescent) bulbs, but because of the look of the many dots they think that they are LED lights. I will be going to the dealer in the next few days to check it out in person.

rodybmw
Old 02-27-2004, 02:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mark-Yorkshire' date='Feb 26 2004, 01:26 PM
Rody,
See attached pic of my new 520. All European E60's have been built with LED brake lights which increase in brightness according to degee of braking force. However until January 2004 the system was de-activated as the system was not type approved under EEC regs. Since January all cars supplied in UK and EEC should have the brake force system activated and earlier built cars can be activated by dealer on request.
Mark-Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply Mark. The thing is that here in the US all E60's from day 1 have included the "Adaptive Brakelights" which are brake force dependent, BUT not the LED type. As the force increases an additional section of the taillights turn on, but it's all incandescent bulbs.

On the US model if you go right next to the taillight and look through a "clear/transparant" section of the red taillight you can actually see the traditional light bulbs (not just the round section, but all of the red section). However, once the lights are on it sort of has the "look" of an LED taillight because the reflector/lens combo gives the look of individual dots (although not as distinct as LED's would be).

Have you actually peeked through the lens of your taillight to see if you can see the individual LED's? Or have you removed the trunk lining to see if there are any light bulbs plugged in the red portion of the taillight (other that the round section).

I think that you are probably correct about all Euro E60's having LED taillights from the beginning. Even the dealer training manuals here in the US said that the taillights were LED's, but when the actual cars arrived it was otherwise. The reason I mentioned the January production is that I read a post from someone in Europe who said that's when Euro E60's started production with LED taillights, but that could have been confusion on their part and it was just the Adaptive Brake Lights that were incorporated as of January production.

Thanks,
rodybmw
Old 02-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Guest_rayc

My Sept 93 E60 525i has "ordinary" bulbs in the rear lights. No LED's at all.

My local dealer was kind enough to show me when I asked

I am in the UK
Old 02-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Members

Rody,
You may be right. I may be confusing the brake force activation with LED, I will try to look closer.
Further pics of my new car on URL link. P.S. Exterior shots not too brilliant due to car being dirty and cannot wash due to freezing temperatures.
Mark-Yorkshire
My E60 520
Old 02-27-2004, 08:43 AM
Members

Obviously the typing error was my car was Sept 03 not 93! Whoop's!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Members

RayC

Can you post some pics - your spec sounds very good.
Mark-Yorkshire

Quick Reply: A couple of requests from those of you in Europe