E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crmb
I seriously hope you arent talking about me with that comment. I have 1.4 million in benders alone without tooling. Average tools set is $7-10k each. Some as high as $20k for stacker tooling. I have 247 tool sets. I also own all of our buildings. I can afford lower production rates because we do VOLUME.
Well, thats GREAT! I've invested 110k+ in personal tools, 80k for my paintbooth, another 280k+ in other various shop equipment, and employ 8, but this is all besides the point being that between myself, crmb, rpi, socale39 and matt from championishop, have not successfully produced and marketed a proven QUAD exhaust system for the e60. Throwing all these NUMBERS here that has nothing to do with HP gains on. The science and the ability to produce a stellar quad system for the e60 is out there. EMPIRICAL DATA, which was mentioned early on in the thread has yet to be provided on what worked and why, and if so, how the results could be replicated and improved upon. Just like dyno testing, conditions VARY. We can measure cocks and brag about our " 1.4 million dollar benders " or " multimillion dollar sound champbers " which I have neither of such, but I can tell you that I've spent 1 season as part of Kyle Busch's pit crew, or took part in building Viet Lams civic while employed at JG Engine dynamics in the 90's but the fact remains. NONE OF US HAS EVEN ATTEMPTED TO PRODUCE a power producing quad exhaust system for the e60 using proven / documented scientific methods, short of the efforts that I am sure of that RPI has attempted. Its the simple laws of economics at work here. For most of us, our time is better spent doing what we are good at. To columbia river, it seems you've got the equipment and the partial R&D completed to produce such an exhaust system, by all means, it shouldn't take you long 1-2 months ( if that) to complete and offer it to the market for substantially lower than $2000... Maybe even $1200 since your "costs" as far superior to RPI's. Good luck finding a 545/50 to even re-initiate your R&D, wow... another "cost: isn't it?? In conclusion to this post, the production process varies by geographic location, materials, labor rates, dyno's, machinery, tools, payroll, test vehicle, specialized employees, TAXES, insurance, rent... the list is endless. You can't compare the engine electronics of most of todays modern vehicles with that of a motorcycle just like you can't compare which is faster, a jixxer or an m5.. nor can you compare crmb's production costs vs rpi's. BUT it is a simple fact that RPI makes QUALITY exhaust systems that can tango with the top dogs of the industry, and STILL sell them for significantly LESS. There is no need piss on RPI's back over thier $2400 msrp price, a simple phone call to thier facility or to Trinty could've told you that you wouldn't be paying $2400. If $2400 was a prob, why not go buy a civic hatch, and save on the gas, along with the costs per mile... or if not, since we have " Supermario-mura' connections, why not have them make you an exhuast system?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by peter griffin
John, you are comparing local/domestic to international/import tho, there's shipping cost, custom fee....
It's like Armani to Polo, and if that's the case, I gladly pay that extra few hundred to get the import, isn't that's why people buying LV, Gucci instead coach?
Just my 2 cents
Not really, I look for bang for the buck. If you've got the cash to spend on a system that gives about the same performance or less then feel free, but I look for ways to get the max gain for the least amount of expense. Very few of the truly wealthy people I have been around piss away money when they don't have to, they leave that to the newly rich.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Not really, I look for bang for the buck. If you've got the cash to spend on a system that gives about the same performance or less then feel free, but I look for ways to get the max gain for the least amount of expense. Very few of the truly wealthy people I have been around piss away money when they don't have to, they leave that to the newly rich.

You mean like Athlete's, actors, tv presenters, hotel owners in Las Vegas, important figures in Mexico/Columbia, rappers, singers, owners of record labels, the biggest Internet providers, numerous vehicle dealerships?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by E36M3
This is where this original post started, and where I had to question margins. I've been a part of some of the largest manufacturing companies in the USA, and I'v also seen the smaller mfrs hard at work to maximize their margins. I'm all for maximizing margins, but $2400 is excessive IMHO. Regardless, RPI may have somewhat of a monopoly on the 5 series market so they feel they can get away with asking for these retail prices. Hey, all the better. I was just questioning it from the get go.

Labor rates are maximum $30-50/hr, cost. Shops charge, $75+. OK, no problem. I have a hard time thinking that RPI actually dyno's every single one of their parts for retail. And although I agree, tooling costs are very expensive from the get go, after the first 100 or so units moved, costs should be covered. If they're not, I agree, mgmt needs to review COGS relative to net profit.

The question is, and this is of course an assumption, but could RPI sell more volume at a lower retail price that would make their business model more attractive? i.e., would it make their overall net profit increase vs charging a premium that may price them out of the market? I'm sure they've thought long and hard about this, and the truth may be that there is no volume in a 5 series exhaust product. ??
What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to make money? Lets make a bet about if "we actually dyno every single one of our parts for retail". *sigh*

I'm done with this thread.
Originally Posted by crmb
I seriously hope you arent talking about me with that comment. I have 1.4 million in benders alone without tooling. Average tools set is $7-10k each. Some as high as $20k for stacker tooling. I have 247 tool sets. I also own all of our buildings. I can afford lower production rates because we do VOLUME.
Yes, I can relate to you there. We have $$$$ in machines and tools. The difference is that you are in the business of bending, fabricating, etc. We do not do the volume that your company does and our tools are mainly to make our products with only a handfull of private label stuff. This is where we have a big cost difference. CA is one of the worst places to have a business right now and it is only getting worse.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Why is it so bad to have a business in California, specifically?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer

Taxes, real estate and labor costs (skilled) are higher here because the cost of living is higher here. RPI is in the heart of LA, which makes a BIG difference to being 30 miles out - Riverside, for example, is around half the cost of LA county for real estate and it's in the 30-50 mile range outside LA.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Contributors

taxes, forced premiums for insurance, then there is the wonderful fee that california charges every business for the "luxury" of doing business in california

gas prices, wages and the fact that the state is completely bankrupt only makes the economic situation that much worse

Business are taxed for almost everything
Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Holy shit, I would high tail it out of there in a jiffy. Its not worth it to do business there!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Holy shit, I would high tail it out of there in a jiffy. Its not worth it to do business there!

yep, and most companies are doing just that.

Nevada is far cheaper and pretty close and washington is really great for a company to have its base
Old 05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
yep, and most companies are doing just that.

Nevada is far cheaper and pretty close and washington is really great for a company to have its base
I wouldn't want to live in either one, Nevada is hot as hell and also broke (they are actually closing a lot of schools in LV now) and Washington? Too rainy, terrible weather, how do you even keep your car clean?

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?