E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current: '08 535i Recent BMW: '95 M3 (swapped) Engine- Swapped '95 S50 with '99 S52 3.2L bored/stroked to 3.3L, kept OBD1 JE Pistons (9.0:1 compression ratio) Pauter connecting rods Schrick Camshafts Vortech V2 w/ custom bypass valve RMS Aftercooler Head modifications Ported and Polished, large valve springs and retainers, Valves Yes, but don't know name Valve springs Yes, but don't know name Retainers Yes, but don't know name Electromotive TEC III stand alone engine management, tuned by Vic Sias of Sias Tuning S50 Intake manifold Dinan Throttle Body 42lb Fuel injectors Custom RMS air intake RMS Header Custom header-back exhaust Quad exit rolled tips, polished exhaust High flow catalytic converter NGK Spark plugs B&M short shift kit Centerforce Dual Friction clutch Odyssey PC 680 Lightweight Battery Exterior- House of Kolor Moondust Silver Custom 1.5" flares molded into body Trim painted and molded into fender flares Dresmann body kit from Germany (front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper) Kerscher 3 piece CF spoiler - imported from Germany CF side mirrors DTM Authaus CF vented hood Lighting- Gourmet Garage HID's Umnitza Angel Eyes OEM Euro tails Clear corners Interior- Seats Sparco Torino Alcantara door panel inserts silver Brand new OEM ///M3 floor mats Carbon Fiber interior trim pieces Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge Autometer Pro-Comp AFR Gauge New silver/black ///M3 shift knob Custom trunk floor with amps mounted in bottom OMP Racing black suede steering wheel Valentine One hardwire kit/windshield mount Car Audio- Eclipse Head Unit (w/ sub control) Two Diamond Audio Amplifiers Diamond Audio mids, highs in car Two 15" Diamond Audio free air Subs in trunk Street Wires wiring Wheels/Tires, Brakes Front wheels 19x8.5 BBS CH wrapped in 245/35/19 Yokahama AVS Rear wheels 19x9.5 BBS CH wrapped in 275/30/19 Yokohama AVS Stainless Steel brake lines New PBR Metal Master pads in front (less than 500mi) HP Racing 15" Rotor HP Racing 8 Piston Caliper Suspension components- Front springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Coilovers (adjustable) Bilstein front dampers Rear springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Cupkit (adjustable) Bilstein rear dampers Total lowering (inches) (front) 1-3" Front RD Adjustable Sway bar Rear RD Adjustable Sway bar Sparco Front strut brace (adjustable) Energy Bushings NuFormz Chassis reinforcements (custom) Powerflex (brand new less than 1K miles)

10 WHP is extremely impressive for a cat back, but $2400, really? Shouldn't this thing be titanium for that price...and even still, it wouldn't warrant it. I've heard good things about RPI, but I can't find this acceptable. Anyone pay this price and feel like they got their money's worth? (minus the neural reinforcement of your brain forcing you to believe a product *must* be better because you paid more)

Hey, I'll put down $2400 if I'm convinced. But, this exhaust has to really outshine its competitors by 300% and more in order to warrant this price. Thoughts?

http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=128
Old 04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Yes. Some members bought this setup have positive experience. RPI is a reputable vendor and stands behind its products. Dyno tests have been done to show improvements. But it is your money and you have to decide whether is worth the money or not. Good luck with your search for exhaust.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

HAHAHAHAHA

these threads always make me giggle a bit

what do YOU THINK it should cost? TONS of R&D went into development with each RPI exhaust with a proven dyno system that backs up all of their claims.

Most other companies charge similar prices for full exhausts and when you dyno their systems, very FEW actually make any gains if at all. Most make losses from what Ive seen

the other thing too is the quality of the pieces and welds. You want exhaust warp? broken hanger? rusted piping? Well you wont get that with RPI and im not saying you would with other exhausts, but their quality is outstanding.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
HAHAHAHAHA

what do YOU THINK it should cost? TONS of R&D went into development with each RPI exhaust with a proven dyno system that backs up all of their claims.

Most other companies charge similar prices for full exhausts and when you dyno their systems, very FEW actually make any gains if at all. Most make losses from what Ive seen

the other thing too is the quality of the pieces and welds. You want exhaust warp? broken hanger? rusted piping? Well you wont get that with RPI and im not saying you would with other exhausts, but their quality is outstanding.
Well said.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Contributors

overall you seem to qualify the worth of the exhaust only if a) its makes gains over 300% of others and b)perhaps better construction.

You bought a newer e60, not a e36. Parts for our cars are considerably higher because there is less of a market for them out there. As prices go down and more younger people with disposable income purchase these cars used, maybe more companies will produce parts for them.

I know it took nearly 10 years for the e36 scene to explode past pure DTM and ///M parts only
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
HAHAHAHAHA

+1 There aren't many vendors as dedicated to performance as RPI, they will NOT sell something that does not make your car perform better. Why do you think they sell the ram air scoops instead of full CAI's? Because their RESEARCH shows there isn't a CAI that will gain you any HP and in fact they LOSE HP over the stock intake.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E36M3
10 WHP is extremely impressive for a cat back, but $2400, really? Shouldn't this thing be titanium for that price...and even still, it wouldn't warrant it. I've heard good things about RPI, but I can't find this acceptable. Anyone pay this price and feel like they got their money's worth? (minus the neural reinforcement of your brain forcing you to believe a product *must* be better because you paid more)

Hey, I'll put down $2400 if I'm convinced. But, this exhaust has to really outshine its competitors by 300% and more in order to warrant this price. Thoughts?

http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=128
I'd buy their muffler for my 530i if it was $400. I wouldn't pay a penny more. Not in this economy. Plus they won't budge on price. Its like $799 retail and the lowest I've ever been able to get it down to was like $610. Don't give me that R&D stuff, either. R&D pays for itself with sales up the wazoo if you're priced right. I know and you know that the cost for parts/labor on manufacturing a muffler is nothing near $799, not even close. So why am I paying massive mark-up?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
+1 There aren't many vendors as dedicated to performance as RPI, they will NOT sell something that does not make your car perform better. Why do you think they sell the ram air scoops instead of full CAI's? Because their RESEARCH shows there isn't a CAI that will gain you any HP and in fact they LOSE HP over the stock intake.

yap, right here

OP

its simple for me, ive owned tons of different exhausts, from Tanabe, Blitz, Greddy etc and i have RPI. Ive held it, examined the construction, material and overall build of the exhaust. Its worth every penny for me. Other companies have nicely built exhausts but they only make any gains in a dyno situation that doesnt represent real world conditions.

RPI will Dyno (For Free) any competitors exhaust with full transparency with the company reps being present to see how they match up. No company will do this. Why? Simple, because their product would show losses. Who wants to pay $2k for something that kills your performance and is advertised to increase it? Nobody.

I know it seems expensive, and honestly it is. So you have a choice. a) dont buy one and stop complaining b) by another product and stop complaining c)buy RPI and be apart of the RPI club (free hookers) or d) build your own exhaust
Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I'd buy their muffler for my 530i if it was $400. I wouldn't pay a penny more. Not in this economy. Plus they won't budge on price. Its like $799 retail and the lowest I've ever been able to get it down to was like $610. Don't give me that R&D stuff, either. R&D pays for itself with sales up the wazoo if you're priced right. I know and you know that the cost for parts/labor on manufacturing a muffler is nothing near $799, not even close. So why am I paying massive mark-up?
A muffler is just that, a muffler. An exhaust system, even cat-back, is significantly different than having a welded on muffler. The system was built for performance, as well as sound SPECIFICALLY for the car. I think RPI's sound, especially for an I-6, is unique. The magnaflow generic sound just doesn't compare in my opinion.

While I agree it doesn't cost 799.00 for the RPI cat-back to be made, Companies are in the business of making money. R&D is a significant cost, but so is running an operation with employees, overhead, etc.

Eisenmann, Dinan, Billy Boat all have comparable prices as well as more than the RPI. The bottom line is, premium parts cost a premium over universal stuff like magnaflow mufflers. I have a feeling my RPI exhaust will last the life of my car, whereas my experience with Magnaflow was rusting after 2 years.

You get what you pay for.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer

youre not paying massive markup, have you ever manufactured anything? I have. Its grossly expensive at start up and doesnt really get any cheaper. They only people that truly benefit are the retailers because you can increase the MSRP but the production costs generally are the same unless you source the same supplies elswhere.

If the exhaust costs $800 at MSRP, retailers get less 60% off that. A good profit margin for RPI to sell it to retailers is if it holds a profit of 30-35%. So RPI has to sell the exhaust to retailers for $240 to get any return.

You say you were able to get it down to $610 right? Ok so $610-240=$370 in profit for the retailer. This doesnt include shipping costs, overhead, employee pay, state business taxes, internet fees, phone bills, insurance for the building and stock. When you factor all of those in, the retailers are probably pulling around $170 or so in pure profit at the end of the pipeline.

Does this sound lucrative to you? It's not. Its a niche market for 530i exhausts, be glad we have a good performing exhaust that is a real winner for under $1000.

/endrant

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?