E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

dbl post
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current: '08 535i Recent BMW: '95 M3 (swapped) Engine- Swapped '95 S50 with '99 S52 3.2L bored/stroked to 3.3L, kept OBD1 JE Pistons (9.0:1 compression ratio) Pauter connecting rods Schrick Camshafts Vortech V2 w/ custom bypass valve RMS Aftercooler Head modifications Ported and Polished, large valve springs and retainers, Valves Yes, but don't know name Valve springs Yes, but don't know name Retainers Yes, but don't know name Electromotive TEC III stand alone engine management, tuned by Vic Sias of Sias Tuning S50 Intake manifold Dinan Throttle Body 42lb Fuel injectors Custom RMS air intake RMS Header Custom header-back exhaust Quad exit rolled tips, polished exhaust High flow catalytic converter NGK Spark plugs B&M short shift kit Centerforce Dual Friction clutch Odyssey PC 680 Lightweight Battery Exterior- House of Kolor Moondust Silver Custom 1.5" flares molded into body Trim painted and molded into fender flares Dresmann body kit from Germany (front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper) Kerscher 3 piece CF spoiler - imported from Germany CF side mirrors DTM Authaus CF vented hood Lighting- Gourmet Garage HID's Umnitza Angel Eyes OEM Euro tails Clear corners Interior- Seats Sparco Torino Alcantara door panel inserts silver Brand new OEM ///M3 floor mats Carbon Fiber interior trim pieces Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge Autometer Pro-Comp AFR Gauge New silver/black ///M3 shift knob Custom trunk floor with amps mounted in bottom OMP Racing black suede steering wheel Valentine One hardwire kit/windshield mount Car Audio- Eclipse Head Unit (w/ sub control) Two Diamond Audio Amplifiers Diamond Audio mids, highs in car Two 15" Diamond Audio free air Subs in trunk Street Wires wiring Wheels/Tires, Brakes Front wheels 19x8.5 BBS CH wrapped in 245/35/19 Yokahama AVS Rear wheels 19x9.5 BBS CH wrapped in 275/30/19 Yokohama AVS Stainless Steel brake lines New PBR Metal Master pads in front (less than 500mi) HP Racing 15" Rotor HP Racing 8 Piston Caliper Suspension components- Front springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Coilovers (adjustable) Bilstein front dampers Rear springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Cupkit (adjustable) Bilstein rear dampers Total lowering (inches) (front) 1-3" Front RD Adjustable Sway bar Rear RD Adjustable Sway bar Sparco Front strut brace (adjustable) Energy Bushings NuFormz Chassis reinforcements (custom) Powerflex (brand new less than 1K miles)

Originally Posted by crmb
I own Columbia River Mandrel Bending. We do both manufacturing and R&D fabrication for production. We have 5 cnc mandrel benders and employ 17 right now. This is what we do. I don't get your attitude, I was only suggesting your costs are out of control. If you ran an ERP/MRP system on your actual cost, they should be far lower then that. In fact I manufacture exhausts for another M5 tuner, and his profit margin is insane.
This is where this original post started, and where I had to question margins. I've been a part of some of the largest manufacturing companies in the USA, and I'v also seen the smaller mfrs hard at work to maximize their margins. I'm all for maximizing margins, but $2400 is excessive IMHO. Regardless, RPI may have somewhat of a monopoly on the 5 series market so they feel they can get away with asking for these retail prices. Hey, all the better. I was just questioning it from the get go.

Labor rates are maximum $30-50/hr, cost. Shops charge, $75+. OK, no problem. I have a hard time thinking that RPI actually dyno's every single one of their parts for retail. And although I agree, tooling costs are very expensive from the get go, after the first 100 or so units moved, costs should be covered. If they're not, I agree, mgmt needs to review COGS relative to net profit.

The question is, and this is of course an assumption, but could RPI sell more volume at a lower retail price that would make their business model more attractive? i.e., would it make their overall net profit increase vs charging a premium that may price them out of the market? I'm sure they've thought long and hard about this, and the truth may be that there is no volume in a 5 series exhaust product. ??
Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E36M3
the truth may be that there is no volume in a 5 series exhaust product. ??
a non M car is the main issue

and assuming that because one company that fabricates and has lower costs that a company that tools and buys the equipment should have the same cost is absolutely wrong

selling 100 exhausts should cover their tooling expenses? Where did you pull that lovely number out of besides your rear end?

RPI was selling their exhausts for around $1600 last time I checked

People want an exhuast for a niche market, so one is made and then they bitch about the price in a NICHE market. Fine get magnaflow and cheap out and be happy with the rasp

honestly if you keep pissing down the backs of companies like RPI eventually they wont produce anything for our little market because they simply wont want to deal with it or people like you, too much hassle and not enough money in the long run
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

outta curiosity what's an acceptable margin for you? what's the max you think RPi should be making per exhaust?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Members

I seriously hope you arent talking about me with that comment. I have 1.4 million in benders alone without tooling. Average tools set is $7-10k each. Some as high as $20k for stacker tooling. I have 247 tool sets. I also own all of our buildings. I can afford lower production rates because we do VOLUME.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
a non M car is the main issue

and assuming that because one company that fabricates and has lower costs that a company that tools and buys the equipment should have the same cost is absolutely wrong
Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

This is where this original post started, and where I had to question margins. I've been a part of some of the largest manufacturing companies in the USA, and I'v also seen the smaller mfrs hard at work to maximize their margins. I'm all for maximizing margins, but $2400 is excessive IMHO. Regardless, RPI may have somewhat of a monopoly on the 5 series market so they feel they can get away with asking for these retail prices. Hey, all the better. I was just questioning it from the get go.

My only question: Who pays retail for anything?
I am in networking, and from the Cisco model a 24 port Gig switch (3750) MSRP is around $6k. However, anyone who's been in the business for more than an hour knows that their partners get 38% of list right off the top - which means anyone who pays $6k is a friggin fool. You negotiate with the vendor to get where it's feasible to do business for both of you.
Seriously any vendor can set the MSRP to over $1 mil if they wanted and then customers would think it's a killer deal when they get it for $2400. I don't know what RPI's margins are, nor is it any of my business, but throughout this forum we know they make a great product and are typically substantially less than the competition (example my 530 - RPI exhaust $799 vs Remus $1K, although another vendor *cough* Companion Shop *cough* was offering a generous 5% off - WOOT!!!!)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

and the truth may be that there is no volume in a 5 series exhaust product. ??

There's the main issue in my opinion. Let me give you an example of what happened recently. My buddies over at iND were putting eight highly-modified M3's in a transport from IL to CA for Bimmerfest this week. I asked Anthony why there were only 3 series Bimmers and no 5's, etc? He said "that's our bread and butter, that's the market, you barely see any modified 5's out here."

And he's right.

I am glad that RPI makes great exhausts for a non-M 5 series because they're hard to find otherwise and very costly.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Truffle Cake.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
Truffle Cake.

lolwut?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Originally Posted by pjinca
RPI exhaust $799 vs Remus $1K, although another vendor *cough* Companion Shop *cough* was offering a generous 5% off - WOOT!!!!)
John, you are comparing local/domestic to international/import tho, there's shipping cost, custom fee....
It's like Armani to Polo, and if that's the case, I gladly pay that extra few hundred to get the import, isn't that's why people buying LV, Gucci instead coach?
Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?