E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPIpower
I wish I made $2k on them. lol. Thats why we discontued them. It aint cheap and there is no margin
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Members

I hope your kidding. If that exhaust has more then 10 hrs of build time @ shop cost maybe $25-30/hr, and worst - worst case $500 in stainless cnc mandrel bent parts, $300 in hardware max. I can't see where you're burning another grand???

Since we make the exhausts at our warehouse, we cant screw ourselves. Im going by cost of parts and payroll.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by crmb
I hope your kidding. If that exhaust has more then 10 hrs of build time @ shop cost maybe $25-30/hr, and worst - worst case $500 in stainless cnc mandrel bent parts, $300 in hardware max. I can't see where you're burning another grand???

what machine shops do you know that work around a $30/hour rate? All of them in my neck of the woods are $75+/hour
Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

$75+/hour is probably anything for a retail customer. If you own a shop manufacturing exhaust systems I don't think you are going to be paying your welder $75/hour.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Members

It doesnt cost more than $25-35/hr to run a welding seat even with state of the art equipment (miller dynasty 700s, liquid argon, upper wage welders, etc). You may book it out at $50-$150/hr to your customer, but it doesnt cost you anywhere near that. We were discussing shop costs, not delivered cost.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
what machine shops do you know that work around a $30/hour rate? All of them in my neck of the woods are $75+/hour
Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Do you do actual manufacturing or are you a fabrication shop? There is a BIG difference. How much did it cost you to make and dyno what you made? How many dyno runs did you do? how many times did you test it? How many changes did you make? Are you 100% sure that what you tested is going to work and fit EVERYtime? You are doing fabication work my friend. I can see from your pictures. So are you going to put and hold up the exhaust parts to build each system? If you were in manufacturing, you would know tooling costs an ass load. We also roll/build and weld our own mufflers, designed specifically for each application. No point in arguing with you here bud.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Members

I own Columbia River Mandrel Bending. We do both manufacturing and R&D fabrication for production. We have 5 cnc mandrel benders and employ 17 right now. This is what we do. I don't get your attitude, I was only suggesting your costs are out of control. If you ran an ERP/MRP system on your actual cost, they should be far lower then that. In fact I manufacture exhausts for another M5 tuner, and his profit margin is insane.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Man, this is getting good. P.S. - I'm "ALL FOR" lower pricing on an exhaust for my 530! Make it so!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

I own Columbia River Mandrel Bending. We do both manufacturing and R&D fabrication for production. We have 5 cnc mandrel benders and employ 17 right now. This is what we do. I don't get your attitude, I was only suggesting your costs are out of control. If you ran an ERP/MRP system on your actual cost, they should be far lower then that. In fact I manufacture exhausts for another M5 tuner, and his profit margin is insane.
No attitude here. We have our costs and you have your costs. Our labor rate is also almost double yours since we are in LA. Our costs are much higher. You can probably guess the cost of having to make the actual mufflers in low quanitity too.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

No attitude here. We have our costs and you have your costs. Our labor rate is also almost double yours since we are in LA. Our costs are much higher. You can probably guess the cost of having to make the actual mufflers in low quanitity too.
Labor rates aren't going to be that high. How do I know? Same people welding/bending and putting together exhaust systems at Yoshimura aren't making those rates and their location is only 30 miles away from LA.

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?