E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SAT retro-fit completed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice mod. Much better than the forum clings and rubber mats
Old 09-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='660704' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:50 PM
Yep 6 possible combinations of transmission has got to be better than 3;

1. D with Sport button OFF - Lazy auto shifting, changes at 500 rpm less than max revs unless kick down switch pressed
2. D with Sport button ON - Faster shifts, holds gear longer, stiffer steering, shift at max revs without the need to hit the kickdown switch, throttle blips on down change
3. DS with Sport button OFF - As above but without stiffer steering
4. DS with Sport button ON - Em er, seems to me just like 2 but you can quickly go manual if you want
5. Manual mode with Sport button OFF - Normal steering, throttle blips on down change
6. Manual mode with Sport button ON - As above but with stiffer steering

These are the main differences I have noted to date!

I will try and get your "name" right in future too,

Regards,

Thanks for these details. I've studied Rysed's install guides / posts, so understand how to fit it etc.
What I don't quite understand is how this "throttle blip" in Sport Button ON mode functions?? Do you have to release your foot from the throttle or does it effectively override what you are doing with the throttle for a split second to "blip" the revs up higher?? Can you please elaborate... thanks!

p.s. The shifter looks great in combination with the black high-gloss trim and cream-beige interior
Old 09-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='668513' date='Sep 13 2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for these details. I've studied Rysed's install guides / posts, so understand how to fit it etc.
What I don't quite understand is how this "throttle blip" in Sport Button ON mode functions?? Do you have to release your foot from the throttle or does it effectively override what you are doing with the throttle for a split second to "blip" the revs up higher?? Can you please elaborate... thanks!

p.s. The shifter looks great in combination with the black high-gloss trim and cream-beige interior
The throttle blip happens in both D sport (button), DS with or without sport button and when changing down using steptronic/manual fucntion +/- with or without sport button.

When in D or DS and slowing down - so foot off throttle - it revs itself to match engine speed to the gear your are going down to. This is something totally missing from the standard auto box.

When in manual and changing down the SAT revs the engine irrespective of throttle applied by my foot. So yes it probably is correct to say it overrides what your are doing.

If you agressively change down, the blip is just bigger and having experimented a bit, when the sport button is pressed, the DS mode and manual modes seem even quicker.

I would also add that there is no comparison between the manual shifting in the standard auto Versus the SAT. In the standard auto there seemed to be a 1 second delay before the box actually changed gear. In the SAT, it is instantaneous.

If found the slow shifting and the feel of the lever such in the standard auto that I just didn't bother with manual mode. The SAT makes it fun!

Thanks for the compliment about the high gloss. For some strange reason all other trims come with a matt surround around the shifter whereas high gloss black actually matches the rest of the trim. A small detail but worth the hassle even though ETK doesn't clearly identify whch is which.

Let me know if you need any further description.

Regards,

David.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The blip function makes perfect sense now!

This really does now have me thinking, because this mod would give me what I'm really missing from my ride at the moment, namely the blip and quicker shifts... here we go again, lets see if I can resist the modding bug...

Thanks David for taking the time to write it up in detail, much appreciated

cheers,
Pete
Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='669228' date='Sep 14 2008, 08:31 PM

This really does now have me thinking, because this mod would give me what I'm really missing from my ride at the moment, namely the blip and quicker shifts... here we go again, lets see if I can resist the modding bug...

cheers,
Pete
You are welcome.

The mod also gives great "fiddle factor" in the form of the sport button. Turn if off for low speed manouvering and then on when on the move. If you want to chill, leaving things in D is the same as the standard box - i.e. smooth but having the ability to make the drive more genuinely sporty is great. Certainly in any of the three sport modes, the box is always in the right gear for action. It makes the car seem faster than before because you don't have to mash the throttle to kickdown.

It was well worth the ?420 that's for sure!

Regards,

David.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

I'm waiting very impatiently for the delivery of my 5er, so that I can do this fabulous retrofit!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='669228' date='Sep 14 2008, 09:31 PM

cheers,
Pete
Pete - just get on with it. Yes, it is 600 eur from your own pocket, but it is a retrofit that you can with the company car and then change it back to normal when you return the car. So hop hop, run to hte dealer. and btw, there is a dealer in your area who can code it for you... So what are you waiting for??
Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My next mod was going to be the LCI M5 Trunk Finisher, but EuroRev seem to be taking a long time getting this sorted -- maybe this SAT should be my next mod... It would have nice to have seen it in your ride at the European Meet
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Members

Do you have the part numbers for this? Where do you buy?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='699966' date='Oct 22 2008, 05:36 PM
Do you have the part numbers for this? Where do you buy?
here you go:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SAT_DIY.pdf (637.6 KB, 106 views)

Quick Reply: SAT retro-fit completed