E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SAT retro-fit completed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by fusionaccord' post='658801' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:35 PM
Can this be retrofitted to a pre-lci model? All I'm looking to do is to change the shifter...I like the 08 look better than the 07.... I am not looking to make the sport button working or anything. If possible, let me know what parts are needed...thanks

Alex
Unfortunately, the retrofit can only be done on LCI models.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='658549' date='Aug 31 2008, 08:40 PM
Transmission components are expensive. Electronic parts such as the ECU and shift controller are not cheap. Moreover, when you do a retrofit, it's not an option 'trade-out' like on an options sheet, where one option is traded out for another at no extra cost or little to moderate extra cost. The ECU and the shift controller of the SAT and the standard automatic probably cost the same. The minimal extra cost of the SAT when you specify it as an option at time of car purchase, is probably for the different shift lever, the sports button and the steering wheel with the shift paddles (which is also a 'trade out' with the standard steering wheel). It's sort of like changing tire and wheel options when you are buying a car. If you order a set of bigger and more expensive wheels and tires from the factory as an option, you only pay the difference because you are 'trading out' your standard wheels and tires for a different set.. When you go buy a set of bigger and more expensive tires after you take delivery of your car, you'll have to pay the full price. It's the same case here. You are paying the full price for the retrofit components required to perform the SAT functions. Moreover, the SAT option in the UK is not ?70. It is a ?1,570 option while the standard automatic is a ?1,475. The two options have a price difference of ?95.
You are quite right about the current cost differential and this is what I was referring to with respect to the SAT cost and the standard auto. However when I ordered my car last year it was just ?70 (differential).

Couldn't agree more about why it is more expensive - I now have 2 ECUs, and 2 gear levers and two console trims. The problem is that the old stuff will just take up space in the garage! Paper weight anyone?

The one extra dimension is that if I changed the car for another E60 I could take my SAT conversion with me and return my car to standard with no ill effects.

Regards,
Old 09-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

Very nice mod. Congratulations.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='658574' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:48 PM
As for the paddle shifter retro-fit, I'm not sure, I don't think anyone has done it yet. However, it should be plug and play like the SAT retrofit.

The two experts on the topic of SAT retrofit are 'rysed' and '525d MSport'. They both have done this retrofit in their cars. If you are interested in this mod, you should drop them a PM.
Without Rysed's DIY I wouldn't have even thought about this so I am hardly an expert.

Unless I qualify simply because I have done the mod!!

I don't know what would be involved in fitting the paddles but don't really see the need for them (for me at least).

I am quite happy to elaborate on the installation to those who are interested.

Regards,
Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Contributors

I have the SAT with paddles on my 08 535 and only went into sport mode once (still breaking it in), and noticed that the revs were held longer and higher. Leavign sport mode dropped the revs immediately.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='659393' date='Sep 2 2008, 05:27 AM
Without Rysed's DIY I wouldn't have even thought about this so I am hardly an expert.

Unless I qualify simply because I have done the mod!!

I don't know what would be involved in fitting the paddles but don't really see the need for them (for me at least).

I am quite happy to elaborate on the installation to those who are interested.

Regards,
'rysed' put up a pdf file with step by step instructions on how to do the retrofit DIY. Here it is~ Gotta love this forum and how everyone goes out of their way to help others out!

Kudos to 'rysed' for this!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SAT_DIY.pdf (637.6 KB, 200 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='657423' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:12 PM
No, not when in DS, but with the sport button pressed.

i have a 2004 545. when i put my car into DS the steering gets stiffer.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='659440' date='Sep 2 2008, 06:49 AM
I have the SAT with paddles on my 08 535 and only went into sport mode once (still breaking it in), and noticed that the revs were held longer and higher. Leavign sport mode dropped the revs immediately.
For those who get any E60 that doesn't have the SAT option available (like me and my 528i), we only have the retrofit to fall back on. I'm very much looking forward to taking delivery of my car after it is built and installing this option! Enjoy your car and have fun with the SAT once the engine is broken in!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Contributors

hey hey hey - couple of days away from this forum, and I miss out on this retrofit

Great job - like i said, cant go wrong with the investment. There is a third person on this forum who also has done the retrofit - he is based in taiwan and as i hear, he is going all the day (new steering wheel, paddle shifters, recode at dealer etc.)...
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='660664' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:18 PM
hey hey hey - couple of days away from this forum, and I miss out on this retrofit

Great job - like i said, cant go wrong with the investment. There is a third person on this forum who also has done the retrofit - he is based in taiwan and as i hear, he is going all the day (new steering wheel, paddle shifters, recode at dealer etc.)...
Yep 6 possible combinations of transmission has got to be better than 3;

1. D with Sport button OFF - Lazy auto shifting, changes at 500 rpm less than max revs unless kick down switch pressed
2. D with Sport button ON - Faster shifts, holds gear longer, stiffer steering, shift at max revs without the need to hit the kickdown switch, throttle blips on down change
3. DS with Sport button OFF - As above but without stiffer steering
4. DS with Sport button ON - Em er, seems to me just like 2 but you can quickly go manual if you want
5. Manual mode with Sport button OFF - Normal steering, throttle blips on down change
6. Manual mode with Sport button ON - As above but with stiffer steering

These are the main differences I have noted to date!

I will try and get your "name" right in future too,

Regards,

Quick Reply: SAT retro-fit completed