E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SAT retro-fit completed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='657998' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:46 AM
Someone has already done it which is where I got the confidence from to attempt this.

My car was not available with this as an option from the factory. Here in the UK it is only the 530d and 530i and above which can be sepcified with SAT. So if you have a 520d, 525d or 525i the only route is to retro-fit.

After driving with it for 150 miles I can't understand why BMW didn't make this the standard fitment and forget the standard auto shifter. Remember that the gearbox itself is no different - it is just what it is told to do that is.

Essentially, all you need is 4 components. The SAT gear lever, the SAT ECU, the sport button and a console trim cover.

The SAT ECU which sits under the gear lever is the key here. The sports button plugs into it.

If your car is prior to around March 2007 (LCI) you are unfortunatley out of luck. If you are an LCI owner then this is a worth while upgrade.

Regards,
I want to get this retrofit done when my car arrives. If it arrives! Seems like I've been waiting eons for it! Anyhow, here in Korea, there is a shop that does this modification. I believe forum member 'hoon' posted the link on his thread about the retrofit. The work costs about US$1200 for parts and labor. Not cheap, but I think it will be worth it! I'd buy the parts and DIY, but I'm not much of a DIY person. I'd probably end up wrecking the interior of my car and killing the electronics of the transmission!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='658024' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:38 PM
I'd probably end up wrecking the interior of my car and killing the electronics of the transmission!
No, its too easy an installation to allow you to break anything. The only bit I thought had the potential to go wrong was easing up the trim on the centre console.

It cost me ?420 so around $900. At $300 to fit it I would give up my day job!

For the cars you can have SAT as an option in the UK, when I ordered my car the additional cost was only ?70 extra! But as with your car, if you can't have it as an option retrofit!

Regards,
Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='658308' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:19 PM
No, its too easy an installation to allow you to break anything. The only bit I thought had the potential to go wrong was easing up the trim on the centre console.

It cost me ?420 so around $900. At $300 to fit it I would give up my day job!

For the cars you can have SAT as an option in the UK, when I ordered my car the additional cost was only ?70 extra! But as with your car, if you can't have it as an option retrofit!

Regards,
In Korea, the SAT is an option in the 530 and 550... but both cost significantly more than the 528. I believe the SAT option is about US$200 more than the standard auto. I spoke with my local dealer about the retrofit of the SAT, and they said they would do it for cost of parts (which I think is a fabulous deal)! Save myself the US$300 in labor! Once I get my car, which seems like it will take forever because production is slated for late September... I'll take pictures and post! Enjoy your retrofit! I've heard awesome things about the upgrade.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

I take it this doesn't include the paddles on the steering wheel? What does the Sport button actually do? Does it work in manual, DS and D modes?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='658487' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:51 AM
I take it this doesn't include the paddles on the steering wheel? What does the Sport button actually do? Does it work in manual, DS and D modes?
This retro-fit does not include the paddle shifters on the steering wheel (but this can also be retrofitted), but everything else works. Faster upshifts/downshifts, stiffening of steering, and yes.. it works in DS and D modes like it does in the cars BMW offers SAT as an option. Cars that come with SAT from the factory don't have a different transmission. Only difference is electronics that tell the transmission what to. This retrofit installs these electronic components.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='658308' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:19 AM
It cost me ?420 so around $900.
?420 seems an extortionate amount for just parts when the original option is just ?70. Why are the parts so expensive?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='658524' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:49 AM
?420 seems an extortionate amount for just parts when the original option is just ?70. Why are the parts so expensive?
Transmission components are expensive. Electronic parts such as the ECU and shift controller are not cheap. Moreover, when you do a retrofit, it's not an option 'trade-out' like on an options sheet, where one option is traded out for another at no extra cost or little to moderate extra cost. The ECU and the shift controller of the SAT and the standard automatic probably cost the same. The minimal extra cost of the SAT when you specify it as an option at time of car purchase, is probably for the different shift lever, the sports button and the steering wheel with the shift paddles (which is also a 'trade out' with the standard steering wheel). It's sort of like changing tire and wheel options when you are buying a car. If you order a set of bigger and more expensive wheels and tires from the factory as an option, you only pay the difference because you are 'trading out' your standard wheels and tires for a different set.. When you go buy a set of bigger and more expensive tires after you take delivery of your car, you'll have to pay the full price. It's the same case here. You are paying the full price for the retrofit components required to perform the SAT functions. Moreover, the SAT option in the UK is not ?70. It is a ?1,570 option while the standard automatic is a ?1,475. The two options have a price difference of ?95.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='658549' date='Aug 31 2008, 08:40 PM
Transmission components are expensive. Electronic parts such as the ECU and shift controller are not cheap. Moreover, when you do a retrofit, it's not an option 'trade-out' like on an options sheet, where one option is traded out for another at no extra cost or little to moderate extra cost. The ECU and the shift controller of the SAT and the standard automatic probably cost the same. The minimal extra cost of the SAT when you specify it as an option at time of car purchase, is probably for the different shift lever, the sports button and the steering wheel with the shift paddles (which is also a 'trade out' with the standard steering wheel). It's sort of like changing tire and wheel options when you are buying a car. If you order a set of bigger and more expensive wheels and tires from the factory as an option, you only pay the difference because you are 'trading out' your standard wheels and tires for a different set.. When you go buy a set of bigger and more expensive tires after you take delivery of your car, you'll have to pay the full price. It's the same case here. You are paying the full price for the retrofit components required to perform the SAT functions. Moreover, the SAT option in the UK is not ?70. It is a ?1,570 option while the standard automatic is a ?1,475. The two options have a price difference of ?95.
Ah ok, I suppose that makes sense. The parts that are replaced during the SAT retro fit, can they be sold to lessen the total cost for the retro fit? How hard is the retro fit for the paddles?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='658572' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:42 AM
Ah ok, I suppose that makes sense. The parts that are replaced during the SAT retro fit, can they be sold to lessen the total cost for the retro fit? How hard is the retro fit for the paddles?
I guess the parts could be sold to a used parts shop, but I'm not sure how much you would get. Probably not much. Might be best just to hold on to the parts in case you need them at a later date.

As for the paddle shifter retro-fit, I'm not sure, I don't think anyone has done it yet. However, it should be plug and play like the SAT retrofit.

The two experts on the topic of SAT retrofit are 'rysed' and '525d MSport'. They both have done this retrofit in their cars. If you are interested in this mod, you should drop them a PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Members

Can this be retrofitted to a pre-lci model? All I'm looking to do is to change the shifter...I like the 08 look better than the 07.... I am not looking to make the sport button working or anything. If possible, let me know what parts are needed...thanks

Alex

Quick Reply: SAT retro-fit completed