E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPi/Powerchip Tune for Ram Air - 525, 530, 545, 550

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='845458
O my
Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='847434' date='Apr 14 2009, 07:24 PM
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='847404
Who cares? If you read my post I said NA engines, not FI engines. Obviously tuning FI engines can create 100's of hp .

Find it funny such a big company cannot test even one of these programs but will sell them-Also I highly doubt a 545 with an exhaust and that software will stomp a regular 545. Considering for one I have wheels that are 50 pounds lighter than stock-with that alone it would be more of a factor than the exhaust and software. Just simply saying no car with that tune and exhaust is going to stomp anyone buddy.

Stick to your MB.
Who is this guy, where did he come from and why is he ACTING like a douche bag? What has happened to our beloved e60.net? Hey man there have been plenty of dynos with the powerchip tune that showed gains. They're just mostly on m5 boards. Anyways I realize your original post referred to na cars but I wanted to smoke you just for the hell of it. What do you have against RPI And powerchip? They've both been around long enough for most to know that they are reliable, honest and trustworthy. Stop being a stick in the mud and go be a hater somewhere else.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='847489' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:54 PM
They're testing on a 335. I'm just getting the first reflash.

Who is this guy, where did he come from and why is he ACTING like a douche bag? What has happened to our beloved e60.net? Hey man there have been plenty of dynos with the powerchip tune that showed gains. They're just mostly on m5 boards. Anyways I realize your original post referred to na cars but I wanted to smoke you just for the hell of it. What do you have against RPI And powerchip? They've both been around long enough for most to know that they are reliable, honest and trustworthy. Stop being a stick in the mud and go be a hater somewhere else.
How is looking like you cannot read a simple paragraph and understand why FI engines cannot be compared to NA as far as tunes, going to smoke me? Hey I guess I got smoked then!

Apparently you looking like a fool smokes me! Get some understanding of tuning for you to even chime in bro.

You guys can stand up for RPI. Everyone acted like AFE was god a couple years ago and look what happened. RPI simply is not putting up the dyno results on a product they are pushing and advertising. That is crappy business. If they were decent tuners than why are they not coming up with their own programs for these cars. Tuning is not hard if they apparently have all the software. I have none of the equipment so I cannot do the same but why use powerchip if they have the capability. Also any decent tuner would realize that you are not going to see 20hp gain out of tuning a NA motor that is already tuned for 91-93 octane gas and not detuned in anyway.

Any good tuner would also not tell everyone that the oxygen increase from adding a scoop requires a "tune". Again would like to see how he comments on the fact our cars adjust just fine to variations in O2 but apparently a scoop requires a tune. Talk about snatching your dough. So RPI want to explain this to everyone without getting defensive? Why do these people have to spend their hard earned dough on a tune when you know darn well the tune does nothing to get any more hp out of the scoop and exhaust? I am not saying the scoop and exhaust are not great products because it seems from what I have read, they are. However it is the selling of this tune that bothers me. Claims of smoothing out the torque curve or the likes is more believable than 20hp gains.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='847518
Let me clear up a few things.

1. Your ecu HAS to be reflashed and yes, it will wipe out current tunes
2. Your ECU must be sent to our facility in Paramount, regardless of who the tune was purchased from.
3. Typically, there is a 1 day turnaround but because of scheduling it is NOT guaranteed. Sometimes, it can ship out the NEXT day instead of the same day we received the ecu.
4. There is a flat rate of $50 that is charged to ship the ecu back to you. This excludes AK, HI and international. This is the flat rate charged by Powerchip. You can opt to ship with USPS or another carrier but your ecu will NOT be insured for our regular $1000 insured amount.
5. This tune was prepped for with the use of the intake scoop. The claimed hp gains do not apply to those with AFE, K&N or other such intake systems. Tests were done on stock cars.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='847518' date='Apr 14 2009, 07:29 PM
How is looking like you cannot read a simple paragraph and understand why FI engines cannot be compared to NA as far as tunes, going to smoke me? Hey I guess I got smoked then!

Apparently you looking like a fool smokes me! Get some understanding of tuning for you to even chime in bro.
Relax Cheech... When I said 'smoke you' i was refering to a drag race. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Like I said there are plenty of RPI dyno sheets posted on M5boards that show gains from RPI/Powerchip tune. I don't know where you're getting all this animosity towards RPi. It seems like you're pretty angry/upset because you got burned by some dope that didn't know what they were doing, and taking it out on Race Precision. Do some research before you start bashing a company....a very reputable company at that.

This guy must work for a company that was disproven by RPI or something. Whatever, I'll getting out of this thread as it's already gotten ugly thanks to some newbie yahoo. Peace foo
Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

I come with an extensive history of modified cars- boosted and non-boosted, turbo and superchargers. I also have some experience with N/A motors.

Now, based on my extensive experience and limited technical knowledge about tuning, it is my understanding that because even an N/A BMW is so precisely tuned, that a change in the air filter and/or exhaust will require a tune to achieve maximum results that the factory tune/computer will not compensate for.

I will be visiting RPI just as soon as I get some time for 2-3 base runs and 2-3 runs after RPI scoop and reflash. The results of this visit should put this debate to rest.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='845458' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:33 PM
It is just not possible to churn out 15 or more hp with a remap alone fella's. dont let them take your money.
All right, sport. Tell me where does it say here that the tune makes 15 hp by itself? Go ahead and search. You're not going to find anyone from RPi stating as such.

As far as a tune plus the scoop is ludicrous. The scoop is not providing that much more air that your stock compter will not compensate for just fine. There is not more HP to be gained by tuning an ecu for a scoop since there is nothing to tune for.
And you know this b/c you've done hours and hours of dyno sessions with the scoops and that makes you knowledgeable?

The only tune's that are worth doing on NA cars is if you tune it to run on race gas and delay the timing enough to optimally ignite the high octane gas rather than pre igniting it and incompletely burning it. You can play around with all the timing and mapping etc but you will not get even 10 hp out of these NA engines or else bmw would have done this, trust me.
Different engine, but it has been proven that the PC tune produces in excess of 10 rwhp on the V10. So, yes it IS POSSIBLE to extract additional power from a N/A BMW engine.

Same with the exhaust. There is absolutely NOTHING a tune would do for an exhaust setup. Any hp increase from an exhaust will come with or without a tune. Having a bit more flow of exhaust gases creating a bit more of a vacuum in the engine and sucking a bit more power out is completely indepenant and is not in need of a tune.

Such a way to take everyones money. Kind of sad considering from what I have read RPI seems reputable. I promise nobody is showing a dyno because it doesnt work.

So RPI why are you not showing any dyno of pre and post tunes? You have oodles of cars there all the time according to your post yet no dyno on any of the NA cars.

Beware fella's.

Also if you are going to disagree be so kind as to tell everyone how your "tune's" increase hp on these well tuned stock NA engines. Wil say one caveat, if you force the car to run lean, you can squeeze some hp out however is not a real solution for the health of a car and sensors etc. So this cannot be part of the answer if it were to be yours.
The dyno of the 545i PC tune will be available as soon as Skeeter has the chance to stop by and get a dyno. He's already got a baseline dyno with just the RPi exhaust and scoop.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='847518' date='Apr 14 2009, 07:29 PM
You guys can stand up for RPI. Everyone acted like AFE was god a couple years ago and look what happened. RPI simply is not putting up the dyno results on a product they are pushing and advertising. That is crappy business. If they were decent tuners than why are they not coming up with their own programs for these cars. Tuning is not hard if they apparently have all the software. I have none of the equipment so I cannot do the same but why use powerchip if they have the capability. Also any decent tuner would realize that you are not going to see 20hp gain out of tuning a NA motor that is already tuned for 91-93 octane gas and not detuned in anyway.
Don't worry sport, the dynos will be up. I will agree with you that the likelihood of 20 rwhp gain is not with JUST a tune ONLY.

Any good tuner would also not tell everyone that the oxygen increase from adding a scoop requires a "tune". Again would like to see how he comments on the fact our cars adjust just fine to variations in O2 but apparently a scoop requires a tune. Talk about snatching your dough. So RPI want to explain this to everyone without getting defensive? Why do these people have to spend their hard earned dough on a tune when you know darn well the tune does nothing to get any more hp out of the scoop and exhaust? I am not saying the scoop and exhaust are not great products because it seems from what I have read, they are. However it is the selling of this tune that bothers me. Claims of smoothing out the torque curve or the likes is more believable than 20hp gains.
Again, it's never been mentioned that having a scoop requires a tune. I don't know why you keep bringing it up. Why don't you listen to yourself and read?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='847423' date='Apr 14 2009, 05:02 PM
Also I highly doubt a 545 with an exhaust and that software will stomp a regular 545. Considering for one I have wheels that are 50 pounds lighter than stock-with that alone it would be more of a factor than the exhaust and software. Just simply saying no car with that tune and exhaust is going to stomp anyone buddy.

Stick to your MB.
For sure, skeeter's 545i with the RPi exhaust, scoop and tune will walk all over your 545i. And your "lightweight" Velocity CSL wheels aren't going to help you one iota.

I will certainly stick to my E63 AMG
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='847518' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:29 PM

Would you consider Dinan a repuatable tuning company? BMW does.

They have three different stages of software tunes for the 545i.
Their stage 1 is with a K&N filter only. They show 8 HP on that tune.
Their stage 2 is with their high flow intake. They show don't post the HP gains for this tune.
Their stage 2 is with their high flow intake and their throttle body. They also don't post the HP gains for this tune.

Dinan must be a bunch of scam artists as well.

Quick Reply: RPi/Powerchip Tune for Ram Air - 525, 530, 545, 550