E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Project "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day before the install. The passenger headlight is heavily pitted and lots of rock chips. So we did the headlight restoration http://forums.5serie...ade-uv-sealant/

The deep chips, we couldn't get rid of.

Before

Project  "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version-dsc_1976.jpg

During

Project  "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version-dsc_2003.jpg

Polished

Project  "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version-dsc_2050.jpg

Clear coated

Project  "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version-dsc_2067.jpg
Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

DK, it's usually just the shield that's painted. With that said, I suppose the reason why other people that have done similar mod usually accomplish the colored lens look by installing colored LED to illuminate during day time to achieve that look.

I am not sure how you painted the projector, but if you painted the bowls at all, that would be the reason why you're not getting any light output. To which I kind of have really bad news, those projectors might be bricks now because there's no cost effective way in restoring them.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d Chip tuning m sport package sport suspension 20" Vertini wheels carbon fiber ipod kit led interior light led angel eyes led side markers

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
DK, it's usually just the shield that's painted. With that said, I suppose the reason why other people that have done similar mod usually accomplish the colored lens look by installing colored LED to illuminate during day time to achieve that look.

I am not sure how you painted the projector, but if you painted the bowls at all, that would be the reason why you're not getting any light output. To which I kind of have really bad news, those projectors might be bricks now because there's no cost effective way in restoring them.
There'll allways be someone that'll want to buy them on here, bricks or not... Headlights are like candy, everyone is obsessed with them! :-)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

I'll probably just paint the bowl area chrome paint which will be pretty much silver. If anything, I'll open them up again. Which will be a pain in the ass as the glue is hard as hell to take off. Find some chrome sheet of metal and mount them in the projector.

Live and learn.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Dude it was still an awesome idea bro don't let the trial & error get you down. Being a pioneer comes with its tribulations...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn wish someone in Houston could install Orions and do this type of work, I don't have the balls to pursue such a task.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Damn wish someone in Houston could install Orions and do this type of work, I don't have the balls to pursue such a task.
there are people who can do it around there, far as I know... now, are they willing to do this for any kind of money - that's not up to me...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
Dude it was still an awesome idea bro don't let the trial & error get you down. Being a pioneer comes with its tribulations...
Thanks. I'll probably leave them on for a while. In NY, there's lots of street lights anyways. Hopefully no potholes lurk in the dark areas. Otherwise I won't be able to dodge them.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well, DK, it might be a blessing in disguise. Now you have the option of retrofitting a different (better) projector in there if you intend to fix it. I think you can get a pretty good performing set ~$100 used, something like that. Maybe hunt around on HIDPlane or the 'Bay.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

that looks great DK!! loving the headlights amazing work by motorcepts as always
btw: your rear looks amazing as well those exhaust tips looks familiar
sorry dude, no worries mine will look different

Quick Reply: Project "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version