E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Project "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Contributors

I'll take some pics of the light path. I'll see if the camera can get them the way I see them.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
John, I don't think that'll help man. The red will absorb too much of the light, even if the chrome surfacing is reflecting light, you're still looking at losing over 50% of light easily.
Light is not as bad. I see the light. Not as bright as OEM. Still good. I'm going to aim them higher and call it a day. NY has so many street lights, I don't really need them. Also the high beams shoot higher and further. Dark area, hit the high beams.

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
Better than whatever the lighting output is now. I coudlnt tell the lights were on when I was driving but from the outside, it is SIIIIIIICK! LOL. 50% more would be perfect.
The headlights sometimes go out. I believe the driverside or both were out when you were driving. I didn't see the reflections on bumpers on the way to Motorcepts that night. Sometimes I see the low beams reflecting off bumpers. I can paint them silver from the backside without taking them apart if I need to. I can always wait for some junk LCI and swap the projectors if I want.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

so where did u net out with the tinting of the orion rings? i know at one point you tried the nite shade tinting paint but thought it was too dark. did you end up taking it off or trying a lighter coating?

im trying to figure out my full gameplan because i wont have a lot of time to get-r done or play around before my shoot on saturday lol

luckily ive done a few sets now so i can move quickly
Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Took it all off and did one coat. I mist it on about 1ft away, with rustoleum tint spray. Then spray clear right after with no waiting in between. I tried spray one coat with nightshade and rustoleum about 4-6 inches away, but the overlapping spray will come out too dark. So the overall look will come out inconsistent. This may also be due to the shape of the object. Also tried to mist it on about 1ft away, and do multiple layers. But it'll come out grainy. So after some test sprays. I ended up misting it on and then spray clear. This way the individual dots of paint would start to blend in. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Installed the Orion V4. Will have pics tomorrow. Cold and wet outside right now. So here are some teasers. Not much difference. Subtle changes.

Orion V2 and Orion V4 size comparison. The V4 are huge. Had to trim the shroud and still barely fit. Putting the lens back on was tricky.

Subtle change.

V4.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

lets trade headlights!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Those should look great.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

DK... your smaller rings are wrong sized... they should not be that big. In addition to needless cutting, that means your little rings' full circle won't even be visible unless you're looking at the headlights below head level.

I am working on a set of LCI's right now, and I can probably take pics later.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Actually, just remembered I have pics from another project.

The right ring size is perfect fit:

Name:  J7cYa.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  920.4 KB

Name:  tt76h.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  220.1 KB
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
DK... your smaller rings are wrong sized... they should not be that big. In addition to needless cutting, that means your little rings' full circle won't even be visible unless you're looking at the headlights below head level.

I am working on a set of LCI's right now, and I can probably take pics later.
I knew something was off. You have no idea how hard it was to put these rings in. F*ck. What's done is done.

Quick Reply: Project "TOTAL BLACKOUT" Orion V2 LCI version