E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Problems Following Aftermarket Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Subterfuse, you got an awesome install and equipment =)
Hopefully everything will turn out fine. I did my system a year ago, here are some pictures to share:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...-sq-set-up.html

I had some error message but it's on the passenger side airbag. I had it reset but it kept coming back, turns out my installer splice the airbag harness since he has a hard time removing the plug, and that it never go away until the harness and airbag module is swapped out. My $ damage is not as bad, and my installer is cool and he will cover it for me since it's his fault. So I certainly know how tough it is having your system and seeing all these error messages...

On another note. Do you notice any alternator whine with your system? I try to troubleshoot it with my installer, and he ends up fixing it with a tiny 1/4 farad capacitor wired in the engine bay. The theory is that the BMW is super noisy and even with the balanced input (Denford to Zapco is thru symbilink), it still has a whining noise. He talked to some other installer and got this idea and it actually fixed it. While I was tinkering the ground and stuff to troubleshoot the noise, at some point we tried to put a wire from the car ground to the battery ground. The next morning, iDrive says there's excessive battery drain. Then I took out that extra ground wire and the battery drain doesn't occur again.

My system is not super powerful, but I do have 3 amps and do not notice any battery problem. I don't have any big capacitor (just the tiny one in the engine bay), and my car is 3.5 yrs old with 63k miles on the original battery. I think the car's alternator size and electrical isn't weak to begin with, and unless you have a huge sub amp the stock electrical should be able to handle it without problem.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by kchan' post='1062005' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:01 PM
On another note. Do you notice any alternator whine with your system? I try to troubleshoot it with my installer, and he ends up fixing it with a tiny 1/4 farad capacitor wired in the engine bay. The theory is that the BMW is super noisy and even with the balanced input (Denford to Zapco is thru symbilink), it still has a whining noise. He talked to some other installer and got this idea and it actually fixed it. While I was tinkering the ground and stuff to troubleshoot the noise, at some point we tried to put a wire from the car ground to the battery ground. The next morning, iDrive says there's excessive battery drain. Then I took out that extra ground wire and the battery drain doesn't occur again.

My system is not super powerful, but I do have 3 amps and do not notice any battery problem. I don't have any big capacitor (just the tiny one in the engine bay), and my car is 3.5 yrs old with 63k miles on the original battery. I think the car's alternator size and electrical isn't weak to begin with, and unless you have a huge sub amp the stock electrical should be able to handle it without problem.
I have no noticable alternator whine when I use the master input on my BitOne, not even at full volume. (The Master Input is fed directly from the Logic7Amplifier)
I also have an iPod connected to my BitOne via the AUX Input. I do get slight alternator whine with the iPod because the iPod cable is connected to a charging source. It is only noticable when the iPod is paused and the volume on the BitOne is turned very high. But I do plan to have my audio shop address this issue tomorrow. Hopefully they can fix it.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Had the system reconnected yesterday after getting the active steering fixed by BMW. Turned everything on and it all worked.
Drove home from the stereo shop listening to my music, happy to finally have everything sorted out.

Parked my car at home to pack up for my drive to visit family for Thansgiving. Loaded the car up and got inside to drive off.
Turned the car on, and did not turn on any music. I sat in the driver seat for a moment to check my email on my blackberry. Then I turned on the music. Nothing was playing except for the subwoofer. No front or rear speakers.

I got out of the car and looked at the 4 channel Audison amp. All 4 LEDs on the corner were lit up. I checked the owner's manual, and it said 4 LEDs means service the amp.

I drove back to the stereo shop and they confirmed the amp was blown. They took out the amp and gave me a loaner amp while they mail my amp back to Audison for service.

So.... the saga continues.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Members

This thread = nightmare.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='1063211' date='Nov 26 2009, 02:47 PM
Had the system reconnected yesterday after getting the active steering fixed by BMW. Turned everything on and it all worked.
Drove home from the stereo shop listening to my music, happy to finally have everything sorted out.

Parked my car at home to pack up for my drive to visit family for Thansgiving. Loaded the car up and got inside to drive off.
Turned the car on, and did not turn on any music. I sat in the driver seat for a moment to check my email on my blackberry. Then I turned on the music. Nothing was playing except for the subwoofer. No front or rear speakers.

I got out of the car and looked at the 4 channel Audison amp. All 4 LEDs on the corner were lit up. I checked the owner's manual, and it said 4 LEDs means service the amp.

I drove back to the stereo shop and they confirmed the amp was blown. They took out the amp and gave me a loaner amp while they mail my amp back to Audison for service.

So.... the saga continues.

I noticed you're in Orlando area did you service your car at Fields BMW? Chances are you wasted your money on replacing that module and coding. I noticed something mounted near the PDC module. I recieved that error when I took this out to do some work on my CCC (nav retrofit) and I wanted to test everything so I turned on the car with it off. Got the same message:

AFS Active Steering Control Module - Hardware Fault

Plugged it back in and it reset after a few minutes. Did this another time except it didn't reset. Finally I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It appears that the plug did not make direct contact with a pin or something on the unit. Perhaps you should have checked to see if it was plugged in properly. And maybe you should ask for your old module back as well. Chances are they may not have swapped it out, they just found it unplugged. You pay a service charge to plug it into their computer and get an error. That service charge should also include inspecting the connectors which I guarantee you Fields did not do. Several techs tell no lies..........
Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1065271' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:16 PM
I noticed you're in Orlando area did you service your car at Fields BMW? Chances are you wasted your money on replacing that module and coding. I noticed something mounted near the PDC module. I recieved that error when I took this out to do some work on my CCC (nav retrofit) and I wanted to test everything so I turned on the car with it off. Got the same message:

AFS Active Steering Control Module - Hardware Fault

Plugged it back in and it reset after a few minutes. Did this another time except it didn't reset. Finally I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It appears that the plug did not make direct contact with a pin or something on the unit. Perhaps you should have checked to see if it was plugged in properly. And maybe you should ask for your old module back as well. Chances are they may not have swapped it out, they just found it unplugged. You pay a service charge to plug it into their computer and get an error. That service charge should also include inspecting the connectors which I guarantee you Fields did not do. Several techs tell no lies..........
You could be correct, but there is nothing I can do about it. The work is already done and paid for.

I did consider that something might have been simply unplugged, and brought this up to my service advisor several times. And I asked them to please check all connections BEFORE swapping out the AFS module. However, without actually being in the service bay with the techs there is no way I can really confirm that was the case or not.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530xd 2007 LCI Touring

I'm sorry but can you give a link to your whole system with bit one.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i
Default engine noise

Hi, New here, hope everyone is getting their problems fixed.. I hav a 05 525, IM using the factory head unit, jus installed 3 audio control processors, LCQ1, 6XS crossover, and epicenter, with two jlaudio HD amps. I hav a hissing noise with the engine off, And I also hav engine wine with the car started. I have the grounds straight to the battery ground. Ther is a noise of sum sort that is running when jus the key is on, like a fan motor or sumtin, i think that is where the hissing comes from, but obviously the wining is from the alternator.
Can anyone help me sort this out, or any advise on wat to try..