E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic devices tauted

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I sent BMW a little letter about the frustrantions of a loyal 2 time onwer of a bmw here is my question and there response:
Dear Mr. Carter:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding features and accessories for your BMW. Please accept my apologies for the frustration and inconvenience these issues have caused.

The Voice Command feature that came with the Navigation System is a feature that will be added to your BMW under the warranty. We are currently waiting for a program update to activate the Voice Command.

I am sorry to say that your BMW was not produced with the necessary wiring and components to allow for an installation of a retrofit Bluetooth kit. Your BMW is prewired for the dealer installed, BMW aftermarket CPT 9000 phone accessory. If you would like further details on this phone or would like to purchase the phone, please contact the parts department at your authorized BMW center. The parts department can provide you information on required hardware and pricing.

Currently, we are working on the integration of the Bluetooth technology into the new 5 Series. At the present time, I do not have an estimated date of availability for the integration nor can I confirm that the integration will be available for your 5 Series. Please accept my apologies for any frustration or inconvenience this situation may cause.

Lastly, the dealer installed, aftermarket Sirius Satellite Radio accessory and installation kit is estimated to be available this October. If you would like further details on this accessory or would like to purchase the radio, please contact the parts department at your authorized BMW center. The parts department can provide you information on required hardware and pricing.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,
Karen Labatzky
Customer Relations & Services
Representative

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 3/11/2004 12:00:00 AM
To: <occomments@bmwusa.com>
Subject: electronic custom features

formid: 1002

Comments: I am very dissapointed in the myrid of of electric options that
dont work and will seemingly cost extra to get working once the bugs are
worked out such as sirrus bluetooth and the voice activation it is very
diconserting that these things were tauted as part of the package only to
not work and then to work at a later date at additional cost. I can not
believe that BMW would allow this to interferre with paying customers that
expected more from this car please allow these upgrade to be done at free
cost or atleast a reduced cost

Subject: electronic custom features
Old 03-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

I read more and more of this complaints about the new BMWs and can not believe it. Why in the world they release a car that was not ready for the public? I hope they now this mistake will hurt the BMW brand name in the future. No doubt is the Ultimate Driving machine but a very incovenient one ! How is possible Lexus and Acura are able to develop the technical stuff faster and with almost no glitches? For example, I have not hear of any problems with LExus Nav system or laser guided door locks. And now the Ultimate, sensors on the door handles that recognize your finger print and opene the car, that is cool.
I question my elf so many times, why I keep buying BMWs if LExus, Acura adn Infinity provide a similar car with a bunch of goodies with a lot less money? My answer, the driving experience.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:47 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Don Juan: Respectfully, if you consider Acura and Lexus similar cars to a BMW, I think (again, respectfully) that you are completely missing the point. I would much rather have an auto that held perfectly during an emergency get-around-an-obstacle maneuver than a car that could read my fingerprint. A'int no one driving off in my bimmer unless they have a flat-bed!

The above said, I complete agree that advertised features should work

Sincerely,

Sam
Old 03-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Guest_twinzor1

buddy - thanks for sharing the response. Timely, though not at all satisfying, I'm sure. As more and more features become software-based, rather than mechanically enabled, it will be increasingly easier to "promise" such vaporware and dole it out after implemention (oops, i mean car production.)

DJ, I think you hit it on the head. Lexus makes a fantastic car, almost a perfect car. Nonetheless, it obviously doesn't provide certain experiences that the buyer requires, hence despite the technical woes, the new BMW sells. We all witnessed the rollout of the 7-series, the marketing of that new technology, and the eventual spate of buybacks. While I hate the vaporware promises, i appreciate the more rational rollout pace.

BTW, when i purchased my 2002 E430, it was in the shop for the first two weeks with fiber optic ring issues. However, my dealer gave me a new CL55 (yes, CL) for the entire time (loyalty has a price.)
Old 03-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

sj3, I agree with you. Acura nor Lexus are comparable to BMW. I was referring on the vehicle size category and equipment for that matter. I take no offense in your reply and I can say I was an Acura and Infinity fan until I drove my first BMW (M3 Convertible).

Guest_twinzor1, I'm a car fanatic (like most of you are) and a car lover (specially my bimmers). I have test driven so many cars out there; So far there is no car out there that can deliver the sheer pleasure of driving a car like BMW does. Any condition. Some are close but lack the refinement in ride others are too conforatable but lack the handling, BMW has the perfect balance (to me).
Acura is getting back on their feet witht he introduction of the new TL (nice but still will not buy one). Lexus has the perfect craftmanship and electronic toys but lacks the overall driving experience.

This is my 4th BMW and love evey single one of them. Botoomline, BMW should have fixed all the glitches before releasing their world car, the 5.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Edward

Buddy,
When was your 5 built? I hope earlier than mine (October).

BMW's reply seems to conflict with itself. At first they say your vehicle wasn't produced with the prerequisites for Bluetooth. Then later, they say they can't confirm whether it will be available for your vehicle. Did you get any better answers?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

My 5er was built in October as yours was and i got conflicting answers from them everytime i talk to a different Rep and that is sad just give us the truth and if we have to deal with that we can it just the inconsistances that we have the problems with come on BMWNA man up
Old 03-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Guest_guest

touted.