E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Opening up e60 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ok, c'mon, who's gonna be the first one to do this? I need to add Orions because my AE's are damaged and do not complete the light path. I PM'd Simon for cost and timing but I never got a response. I'm a bit nervous to attempt this myself but if I do, I know 100% sure I will not be using any silicone. Perhaps a slow drying epoxy is what I have in mind. Silicone can be deadly. After you apply it, and if for any reason you need to so back and do another repair or something, just about nothing will stick to any place this stuff was applied. Maybe silicone will stick again but I imagine that would be about it.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Ok, c'mon, who's gonna be the first one to do this? I need to add Orions because my AE's are damaged and do not complete the light path. I PM'd Simon for cost and timing but I never got a response. I'm a bit nervous to attempt this myself but if I do, I know 100% sure I will not be using any silicone. Perhaps a slow drying epoxy is what I have in mind. Silicone can be deadly. After you apply it, and if for any reason you need to so back and do another repair or something, just about nothing will stick to any place this stuff was applied. Maybe silicone will stick again but I imagine that would be about it.
Use butyl rubber sealant (as professionals use) if you want to easy open headlights in the future.
Nearly every product for car care contains silicone, so you have tons of silicone on your car (look on the windshield after washing your car). You have to remove silicone in every case you do gluing or sealing.
There in no problem to use silicone sealant repeatedly, but if you want to use an another sealant for the second time you repair headlights, you have to use silicone remover first.
I would not use epoxy for sealing like headlights.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Laco19
I just simply filled groove around housing (whole old sealant removed) with silicone to about 2/3 of height, pushed transparent plastic part into the groove and wiped out silicone from outer side with wet finger.
This sounds to easy man, doesnt look hard at all between that an the Umnitza instructions. Pretty tempting. One of those things you're going to hate yourself for f*cking up, but think youre the man if you get it right...

Why not you bro?... You have an actual reason, me it would just be for the mod. Game time decision my man.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 3.0d

I volunteer! I got no other option, i will attempt this some time next week and see what happens. I read some where that to remove the old butyl rubber, you need to use a dremel tool. Am going to try this and report back. I hope this is not going to be a disaster fingers crossed.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

Lets keep this topic going i have been so close to saying f*** it and cutting them open...but if we can get some consistent results with a good sealant im in!

Umnitza group buy on Orion 4's???
Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by dakest
I've done this before but not to E60 headlights, I guess it could be done, I like how clean it comes off.
I have seen that before, but I was not really sure if that was correct.

If you can open it like that with heat gun, why the "baking process" doesn't work?

on the video there is nothing showing how or where to do the first opening, that guy has start filming from middle of the process.

on the other side, if the brows are using the same type of glue as the main headlight I did successfully take it of with the heat gun
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 3.0d

Originally Posted by madein
I have seen that before, but I was not really sure if that was correct.

If you can open it like that with heat gun, why the "baking process" doesn't work?
Because he is only heating the black plastic part on top of the glue so he can then insert the screw driver and push the lens (thats what i assume)

I would also be interested to know where he started to take out the lens, maybe he started on the same area he finished? On the side of the headlight.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by CALIC
I volunteer! I got no other option, i will attempt this some time next week and see what happens. I read some where that to remove the old butyl rubber, you need to use a dremel tool. Am going to try this and report back. I hope this is not going to be a disaster fingers crossed.
a dremmel makes me nervous for two reasons. First, if you are not careful they tend to not walk but run on you. Seems like you blink and it's taken off on you in the wrong direction. And second is the loss of material from the cutter. I imagine it might not be much and the adhesives should be enough to fill in the void. I think Chris's post mentioned a soldering tool. Thinking on the heat gun and if this becomes the option to try, I think as the lens is lifted maybe start inserting small shims as you go along. Damn if I only had a spare light to practice on with all three options.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Laco19
Use butyl rubber sealant (as professionals use) if you want to easy open headlights in the future.
Nearly every product for car care contains silicone, so you have tons of silicone on your car (look on the windshield after washing your car). You have to remove silicone in every case you do gluing or sealing.
There in no problem to use silicone sealant repeatedly, but if you want to use an another sealant for the second time you repair headlights, you have to use silicone remover first.
I would not use epoxy for sealing like headlights.
I'm just not confident that butyl or silicone would be strong enough to hold the lens back in place. I know for a fact that silicone and silicates are outlawed in OE automotive plants due to the negative effect it has on paint and adhesives and that they are nearly impossible to remove. I might have a chance at another headlight but not a E60 but still a BMW to practice on. Once it's glued back, I don't want any chance of hitting a bump and then having to pull over and collect my headlight lens from the side of the road... I'm still thinking of experimenting with some various 2k adhesive. Maybe I can find something in the clear that will be strong.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

I'm just not confident that butyl or silicone would be strong enough to hold the lens back in place. I know for a fact that silicone and silicates are outlawed in OE automotive plants due to the negative effect it has on paint and adhesives and that they are nearly impossible to remove. I might have a chance at another headlight but not a E60 but still a BMW to practice on. Once it's glued back, I don't want any chance of hitting a bump and then having to pull over and collect my headlight lens from the side of the road... I'm still thinking of experimenting with some various 2k adhesive. Maybe I can find something in the clear that will be strong.

When I did my brows I have used this:
Buy Silicone Sealants Silcoset 158 Black Silicone Sealant 75ml Acc Silicones 158 online from RS for next day delivery.

It should be similar to the windshield adhesive if I remember correctly.

If I'll find enough time I will give a try

Quick Reply: Opening up e60 headlights?