E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Opening up e60 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:33 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i

Hi Tony and everyone else,
So Tony, you are saying that the black rubbery stuff that is in the channel of my headlight where the lens goes is SIKAFLEX 630H? See Picture.

Umnitza stated in post on December 1st...
+2
great idea on the body sealant. Also recommend if you have access to it, windshield sealant as well, though a bit more expensive.
But in a previous post on June 16th @2:54PM (Page 4) Umnitza stated that they had successfully repaired over 100 headlights with the following procedure....
We used Koito sealant to close up the lights, then used a 3X adhesive, then finished it off with a silicon
A Google search for Koito sealant pulls up numerous links as a Butyl Rubber headlight sealer in different forms.
Link here: http://search.comcast.net/?con=beta&...Koito+sealant+
So Umnitza , which process do you like and endorse since you seam to have done the most headlights at over 100.
Yours using Koito sealant etc... or the "Body Sealant?"

There are so many ideas that have been offered up in regard to resealing the lenses to the headlight body that after 9 pages on this discussion, I am still confused as to what is the DEFINITIVE way to properly reseal these headlights!
Unless the only answer IS that there really are a number of different ways that in the end will work, and it is not just a "One Way" only approach.
You have to choose one and hope for the best!

So what does everybody think....can we all agree on something!
My headlight is rewired and just waiting for me to seal the lens back on the headlight.

Thanks,
Bud
Attached Thumbnails Opening up e60 headlights?-s1720033e.jpg  

Last edited by BuddyB; 12-08-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes that's correct. There are many ways to also re-seal. As stated in previous post here, the seam sealer I used worked great and I would not hesitate to use it again. But again, there are many options to use. Personally, I didn't like the fact that I was testing this myself, but I had no choice and in the end it turned out to be a good one. As you can read through these posts a lot of specific info is missing and that is intentional. Otherwise, certain individuals and company profits can be impacted. I think the bottomline is to avoid anything with silicone. This way if you have to go back and remove or work again you don't likit your future options.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: '06 530i

Tony,
I was reading some reviews on the Seam Sealer that you used.
Many said that it takes 2 days to cure and it was still mushy hours later.

I have to hold sections of my headlight lens onto the headlight body to keep it secure.
It sounds like I would need clamps with this stuff and then leave it alone for a couple of days.
What was the process like for you.

I have cleaned most of the previous black sealant out of the headlight base but it was a real pain.
I also have some bad gaps to close.
I used Loctite Epoxy (2 part) to glue the 2 black plastic parts onto the lens.
Worked great on that and really hard.

I may have to use a combination of Epoxy to seal the lens to the base and the 3M sealant to fill in the spaces.
Resigned to the fact that the lens will not come off again.
But since I have completely rewired the headlight I should not have to go back in again.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Opening up e60 headlights?-m1950001e.jpg   Opening up e60 headlights?-m1950002e.jpg   Opening up e60 headlights?-m1950006e.jpg  

Last edited by BuddyB; 12-17-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by BuddyB
Tony,
I was reading some reviews on the Seam Sealer that you used.
Many said that it takes 2 days to cure and it was still mushy hours later.

I have to hold sections of my headlight lens onto the headlight body to keep it secure.
It sounds like I would need clamps with this stuff and then leave it alone for a couple of days.
What was the process like for you.

I have cleaned most of the previous black sealant out of the headlight base but it was a real pain.
I also have some bad gaps to close.
I used Loctite Epoxy (2 part) to glue the 2 black plastic parts onto the lens.
Worked great on that and really hard.

I may have to use a combination of Epoxy to seal the lens to the base and the 3M sealant to fill in the spaces.
Resigned to the fact that the lens will not come off again.
But since I have completely rewired the headlight I should not have to go back in again.

Bud
Bud
The 3m sealer i used worked very well and was strong. After opening I no longer had a channel but more if a lap joint. I applied sealant to the housing tgen set the lens. I used tape to wrap it tightly for about a day and half. Day 2 was pretty solid. You could push your finger nail down into it but it took done force. each day it became harder but never to a point where it was like plastic. As said before, I would use it again.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 3.0d

This discussion couldn't come in a better time. I was walking past my car the other day and i noticed that my right headlight was sticking out from the side and so i thought it might be missing some screws from the base. So i opened up the bonnet and was shocked to see that the actual lens was sticking out from the headlight i used a window sealant to seal them and at the time, it was holding very well with no condensation. Now i get condensation from both headlights and i feel that soon the other side will give way.

Tony. Seam sealer sound like a very strong sealant so will i be able to open the headlights again?

Thanks

Last edited by CALIC; 12-17-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CALIC
This discussion couldn't come in a better time. I was walking past my car the other day and i noticed that my right headlight was sticking out from the side and so i thought it might be missing some screws from the base. So i opened up the bonnet and was shocked to see that the actual lens was sticking out from the headlight i used a window sealant to seal them and at the time, it was holding very well with no condensation. Now i get condensation from both headlights and i feel that soon the other side will give way.

Tony. Seam sealer sound like a very strong sealant so will i be able to open the headlights again?

Thanks
Mine are still holding strong. No leakage or fogging. I felt the seam and it the bead seems very firm, pretty much what I would expect. As for having to cut into them again, I'm not planning this, but I think it will be much easier than removing the original lens. I would guess a razor blade cutter would work well.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw 530iSE
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I used a screwdriver to force the lens out, it took a little while and did damage the frame but when it’s glued back in and in the car nobody will really notice. I need to repair a broken reflector and adjuster screw, it was that or loads of money for a new light assembly.