E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Opening up e60 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by madein
Looks like there is still no way how to open them without cutting?

ive heard there's another way to open them other than cutting, but nothing that ive found. all the sets i do, i just cut them open carefully...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch the video how to open E60 headlights. I got inspired by it and opened headlights successfully.
BMW E60 E61 Scheinwerfer öffnen open headlights - YouTube
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Laco19
Watch the video how to open E60 headlights. I got inspired by it and opened headlights successfully.

I've done this before but not to E60 headlights, I guess it could be done, I like how clean it comes off.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done. But its a lot of work.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

What did you seal wit back up with? That looked almost TOO easy. Also how long did it take you to get the light open?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
What did you seal wit back up with? That looked almost TOO easy. Also how long did it take you to get the light open?
I used a black aquarium silicone for sealing. Opening the headlight took about one hour.
Opened and resealed headlight:
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

I used a black aquarium silicone for sealing. Opening the headlight took about one hour.
Looks good, everything sealed properly?.... Did you just apply heat and pry like the video above? Seems worth the time instead of cutting....
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
New Members

Looks good, everything sealed properly?.... Did you just apply heat and pry like the video above? Seems worth the time instead of cutting....
Everything is sealed properly, I tested it with air pressure with blocked breather elbows.
Yes, I was applying heat and then very hard pry polycarbonate part out (i needed to use much force to open it). After opening, the flange on black plastic could be damaged so I repaired it and cleaned the flange from old sealant (it was hard work to remove the sealant).
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Everything is sealed properly, I tested it with air pressure with blocked breather elbows.
Yes, I was applying heat and then very hard pry polycarbonate part out (i needed to use much force to open it). After opening, the flange on black plastic could be damaged so I repaired it and cleaned the flange from old sealant (it was hard work to remove the sealant).
Gotcha, great job once again... Is most of the work at the bottom? dont really have a visual since Im not actually looking at a light. To seal you basically apply the sealant to the channel on the housing and clamp the lens and light together right?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
New Members

Gotcha, great job once again... Is most of the work at the bottom? dont really have a visual since Im not actually looking at a light. To seal you basically apply the sealant to the channel on the housing and clamp the lens and light together right?
I just simply filled groove around housing (whole old sealant removed) with silicone to about 2/3 of height, pushed transparent plastic part into the groove and wiped out silicone from outer side with wet finger.

Quick Reply: Opening up e60 headlights?