E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next headlight mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

innnnnnteresting . I can't wait to see it all done. Very innovative Simon.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Haha, I have to admit, the picture above is not really appealing. I will have to take another to do it justice. However, right now I have stuff stacked on top of it to make it stay down, lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

how about trying to cut the longer led strips into sections maybe 3 or 4 to support the curves use a little wire in between cuts and solder to keep the current continuous.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Wow, just catching up from yesterday afternoon has been exciting. I bet tho, figuring out a durable mounting solution will be your biggest obstacle because of how thin the strips are, and securing them to the narrow fins(and hiding wires, making for a clean install).

Shit, what am I talking about, you will probably have this all figured out probably by dinner time tonight.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
how about trying to cut the longer led strips into sections maybe 3 or 4 to support the curves use a little wire in between cuts and solder to keep the current continuous.
Can't. These strips can only be cut every 5 LEDs. With that said, and break in between will make it extremely obvious when lit.

Originally Posted by pradden
Wow, just catching up from yesterday afternoon has been exciting. I bet tho, figuring out a durable mounting solution will be your biggest obstacle because of how thin the strips are, and securing them to the narrow fins(and hiding wires, making for a clean install).

Shit, what am I talking about, you will probably have this all figured out probably by dinner time tonight.
Yes, it definitely is proving itself to be an unprecedented grief for me. I attempted to put the pieces back together today, and it was a no go. The wiring gets in the way. I have reached out to a company that have done a variation of this, and they said that there's no way to do it cleanly. Obviously this is not acceptable to me...

With that said, I apologize for the lack of update and missing my own timeline. Totally did not expect this part to be what's giving me problems.

Of course, I am not quite ready to give up yet. Though I feel I must proceed with caution since I don't want to mess up my fins if it doesn't work out. Hopefully I will be able to show you guys something solid today.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Damn .................................................. ............................ YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Haha, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have gotten so damn excited and had this thread happen.

Now I feel like I can't let you guys down hahaha.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "

Thomas Alva Edison

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Contributors

I think I have figured it out a way to mount this.

Right now, I am just waiting for confirmation that 22 gauge wiring will be okay.

I don't have the exact spec of these SMDs, but assuming their optimal draw is 15mA, at a total of 460 LEDs (even more than Orion v2 AND v4s), it will be drawing 6.9 amps, which is a bit closer than I would like since 22 gauge has a max load of 7 amps.

If someone with more electrical knowledge can comment, to confirm or otherwise that would help greatly.

Oh, the reason why I want to use 22 gauge is because it's thinner and easier to hide/manipulate.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Lol... ahh shit I am an idiot.

I just realized I did the math wrong for a part.

Now I can go back to work

Quick Reply: Next headlight mod!