E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next headlight mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

In pictures it might, but shouldn't at all in person. I should have pics to show in a few hours. Haha, I think maybe I'll be lucky to get one side done tonight.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwest
Ah sick simon! I'm wondering with so many bright led and so many rods will it it just seem like one bright led instead of seeing each rod of led beams?
I was thinking the same thing but I'll let simon answer this question on his own of coarse but my 2cents, I think its just the camera not being able to properly capture light the way our eyes see it. For example have you ever seen the orions in person they look way more blurry when photographed.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Ahh man, this is why I think it would be damn improbable to try to mount this in the back of the fins. I simply tried to take the tape off, and a section broke off.. doh. Guess it can't be helped since it's so thin.

Name:  yC2m6.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  63.5 KB
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Contributors

Haha, man, it wouldn't be exciting without a few problems. Been trying to figure out a way to bond to the fins but having a lot of trouble. Since the board is so fragile, and does not flex, it's proving to be real difficult to mount (due to the curvature of the fins).

Currently trying out an idea that hopefully will work, otherwise I am open to ideas.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Haha, man, it wouldn't be exciting without a few problems. Been trying to figure out a way to bond to the fins but having a lot of trouble. Since the board is so fragile, and does not flex, it's proving to be real difficult to mount (due to the curvature of the fins).

Currently trying out an idea that hopefully will work, otherwise I am open to ideas.
What about mounting one led on each fin shinning at the fins to illuminate them? Will that work?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Contributors

I am not sure what you mean Jack.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Sorry for the crappy explaination, but i guess its easier to show then explain for me. After giving it thought the single LED On each fin will not be bright enough to illuminate during day light.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Contributors

I was thinking of drilling behind the fins where black plastic is holding the fins and place an LED facing out toward the fins to illuminate them. I hope my mock up of where the each LED facing outwards towards the fins will justify what i'm saying Simon.

Next headlight mod!-led-1.jpg
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Contributors

Oh that was actually one of the version I had tried last year. Doesn't work out. Too dim.

I am having a real dilemma... Can't seem to get the LEDs mounted well enough. Goddamnit.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Here's a picture taken a few hours ago prior to my attempt of bonding the LEDs to the fins.

Name:  6rELM.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  103.1 KB

Obviously the bottom one has been adjusted prior to seating the adhesive. In any case, because of the long cure time, looks like I won't be able to finish even one tonight. I guess I will continue tomorrow. I am kind of bummed that this part is so unsuitable to flex at all, otherwise I think I would mount it on the back and frost the fins to mask the yellow phosphorous coating on the LEDs...

Additionally, depending on how much time the rest of this takes, I might do an additional mod

Quick Reply: Next headlight mod!