E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next headlight mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Haha, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have gotten so damn excited and had this thread happen.

Now I feel like I can't let you guys down hahaha.
Don't worry about us homie A project as unique as this is one, is rare and pioneering! Enjoy every step of it
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Simon, you never cease to amaze my man.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well the last iteration just wasn't working for me... and thankfully the idea that I had earlier did work, so here's an updated pic:

Name:  JtblP.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  74.6 KB

I really didn't think it was going to be possible/reasonable to mount it in the back due to how easily it was snapping left and right, but thanks to an accident in the process, I figured out a way to reinforce the back considerably to prevent it from breaking it off so easily.

Now unfortunately, due to how the top three fins are, it's not possible to have it sit neatly unless it breaks apart, so it's a compromise.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Contributors

How bad would it look if that top fin LED strand was shorter so it didn't hang out as much? Because it's so close to the eyebrow directly above it maybe it wouldn't matter as much as when you're looking at it separated from the entire unit? Looking MUCH better! Keep it going ... Keep it going...

Did you frost your fins to help hide the LED's when the lights are off?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
How bad would it look if that top fin LED strand was shorter so it didn't hang out as much? Because it's so close to the eyebrow directly above it maybe it wouldn't matter as much as when you're looking at it separated from the entire unit? Looking MUCH better! Keep it going ... Keep it going...

Did you frost your fins to help hide the LED's when the lights are off?
I considered that, but because the LEDs can only be cut every 5, the loss of those would be very visible.

With that said, I just took a few pics of the first three fins lit, and when lit, you actually can't tell that it's not directly behind.

Check back in a few minutes, I am uploading the pics right now.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Contributors

I am going to wire them up after dinner. So expect a picture of all the fins lit together later tonight

With that said, here are individual pics of the first three fins lit.

Name:  2NfQT.jpg
Size:  499.2 KB
Name:  Ylpac.jpg
Size:  523.8 KB
Name:  g4VVu.jpg
Size:  462.8 KB
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Contributors

As I mentioned, I think that when they are all lit, you wouldn't be able to tell that the parts that are sticking out is not behind the fins. Yay.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Contributors

I was just thinking... Yes, we see the other two below the top where they hang slightly lower than their fin branches, but I wonder if you can tell once they're installed back in and "down there" as low as the headlights go... We're always looking down at them, not at eye level unless you're studying it.

Also, are they perfectly aligned at the end of the branches we don't see? Maybe those two should be placed slightly higher at those ends so that they're less hanging down at the opposite end where we see them now? A tiny bit "off" on BOTH ends so they're less noticeable overall KWIM?

And I realize you're concerned about uniformity so maybe ALL of the fin branches use this same "slightly off" angle so that the lines remain parallel?

Looking good Simon!!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
I was just thinking... Yes, we see the other two below the top where they hang slightly lower than their fin branches, but I wonder if you can tell once they're installed back in and "down there" as low as the headlights go... We're always looking down at them, not at eye level unless you're studying it.

Also, are they perfectly aligned at the end of the branches we don't see? Maybe those two should be placed slightly higher at those ends so that they're less hanging down at the opposite end where we see them now? A tiny bit "off" on BOTH ends so they're less noticeable overall KWIM?

And I realize you're concerned about uniformity so maybe ALL of the fin branches use this same "slightly off" angle so that the lines remain parallel?

Looking good Simon!!
Can't. I understand what you have in mind, but in reality, the part that actually matters the most is the middle section. If the mid-section is not as aligned as possible, the LED will be even more visible. Remember, these do not bend or flex even a quarter of a centimeter.

As for lining them parallel, truthfully, that would be rather hard to do without seriously chopping off (shortening) sections of the LEDs. With that said, the fins on the top are not really parallel anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Contributors

I am going to see if I can find my other alligator clips so I can light up two fins and take a pic before dinner.

Quick Reply: Next headlight mod!