E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NavwithTV unit coming!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by DomofNavwithtv' date='May 17 2005, 10:58 PM
Hi
? Yes our unit has video in motion.
Thanks Dominic

[quote name='saurabh' date='May 12 2005, 09:33 PM']I think NavwithTv works in motion.?? can anyone confirm this???
[snapback]127847[/snapback]
[snapback]129854[/snapback]
[/quote]
hi dominic you sent me an email sying its on way but little else.
questions.
when will you have the uk specific model ready for purchase,?
will it be all mode secam/pal uk is pal but i go to europe occasionally.?
can we use the dvd drive in dash used for nav.?
my system pro nav with cd + changer + dvd(nav drive)?
will i need the aux input fitted ?
where does the unit fit?
can i retain the cd changer atre the wire connections length dependant.
what about antenna.?
maybe you have all this info you could put as info on forum for us all.possibly installation instructions tips etc.
sorry for all the ?????? very interested especially dvd feature
Old 05-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Members

Hi
The unit has 2 video inputs, 1 for DVD and 1 for backup camera. The unit works world wide. This unit has no TV-Tuner. You can use a BMW aux adaptor for sound or an FM modulator. You have to use a separate DVD player. Feel free to call me at 718-763-7367.
Thanks Dominic

Originally Posted by radioham' date='May 17 2005, 06:54 PM
[quote name='DomofNavwithtv' date='May 17 2005, 10:58 PM']Hi
Thanks Dominic

[quote name='saurabh' date='May 12 2005, 09:33 PM']I think NavwithTv works in motion.?? can anyone confirm this???
[/quote]
questions.
where does the unit fit?
what about antenna.?
maybe you have all this info you could put as info on forum for us all.possibly installation instructions tips etc.
[snapback]129901[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 05-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

radioHAM

Check your PM.... I sent you a message. Please respond for more details.

All the Best

Hobi
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 AM
Members

Hi Hobi
Thanks for the support and help. I have some great information for everyone. Hobi brought to my attention that the unit with the built in TV-Tuner was only accepting an NTSC video input and that in some areas of the world you guys couldn't find a DVD player that was switchable NTSC-PAL. I spoke to engineering early this morning and want to tell everyone that the unit on the group buy with NO-TV-Tuner will accept PAL or an NTSC input. They told me that the PAL-NTSC issue was corrected in this unit in the last revision. So yes the current unit will accept a PAL and NTSC video input. I want to thank Hobi for his help and input.
Thanks Dominic cool.gif

Originally Posted by radioham' date='May 17 2005, 06:54 PM
[quote name='DomofNavwithtv' date='May 17 2005, 10:58 PM']Hi
Thanks Dominic

[quote name='saurabh' date='May 12 2005, 09:33 PM']I think NavwithTv works in motion.? can anyone confirm this???
[/quote]
questions.
where does the unit fit?
what about antenna.?
[snapback]129901[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 05-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi All

Confirmation that Dominic and I spoke at great length yesterday about the PAL issue and happily, he already had the solution in his hands without knowing about it!!!

Just to recap then:

The iDrive interface that Dominic is offering as a group buy to forum members here has all the functions that mine has, with the exception of the TV Tuner.

This version (no TV Tuner) is now compatible worldwide with NTSC and PAL input formats SUPPORTED - (the version WITH the TV Tuner currently ONLY accepts NTSC format inputs.)

For us European users this is great news because we no longer have to buy a car DVD player that has a NTSC output!!!

This iDrive interface IS THE BUSINESS. I can highly recommend it and hopefully enough forum members out there will decide to go with the product because Dominic is giving everybody here great pricing.

The amount of effort that he's put into his ideas, together with his engineering team and others, is really great. The units are constructed to a very high standard: the internal PCBs are well made and the components are mounted well.

This is NO cobbled together, mickey mouse product!

GO FOR IT!

All the Best

Hobi
Old 05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Hobi - I noticed the movie playing on your iDrive screen was only using the left side of the screen. Has this been addressed?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributors

radioHam and others:

1. The interface Dominic is offering as a group buy has now been confirmed that it WILL accept PAL inputs.

2. That means all you have to do is to get hold of ANY car DVD player in the UK and it will work!

3. When you get a DVD player in the UK, make sure it's multi-region, so you can play US/CAN region 1 dvds.

4. Since the interface Dominic is offering has NO TV Tuner input, the PAL/Secam question is not applicable, since the interface will have regular A/V inputs only.

5. The BMW DVD Navigation drive CANNOT be used as the source DVD player at this point in time.

6. Yes, you MUST get the BMW Audio Aux Input installed! This is the ONLY way of getting clean, decent sound into whatever sound system you have in your car. Most UK BMW dealers are doing this install for about ? 150 + VAT.

7. The interface with no TV Tuner is quite small and will fit in the void behind the iDrive screen, slightly to the left side. Alternatively, the unit can be located INSIDE the dashboard, ON TOP of the glove box housing, and in between the cup holders (check my website and this forum section in about 3 hours time and you will see the install pictures).

8. This interface has no effect on the CD Changer.

9. The antenna wire you are referring to is not relevent since the group buy unit is the interface WITHOUT the tv tuner. (The TV Tuner is useless for us Europeans because it is for NTSC signals only!!!)

10. As I said before, I am going to publish full install details and pics within the next 3 hours!

All the Best

Hobi
Old 05-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Hi UltraPlanet

In order to retain correct ratios, Dominic's people decided to restrict the video output to only the left 2/3 of the BIG iDrive screen.

As you saw at the meet, the 16:9 ratio of the film that I was playing was preserved.

The end result is exactly the same as IF you watch the BMW TV. BMW have also restricted the viewing to the left 2/3 screen in order to preserve the aspect ratios, otherwise you will end up with extremely short and wide people!!!!

Personally, I rather watch something that looks proportionally right than just having a full sized picture but distorted like crazy .

The smaller iDrive screen will display a fuller picture.
The bigger iDrive screen will dsplay the picture in the left 2/3.

Hope that answers it!

All the Best

Hobi
Old 05-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Thanks Hobi - just wanted to get that out there.