E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

WOAH! I missed a lot this weekend...

As for my .02 cents:
I had a GruppeM ram air on my e36 M3, it sounded better and it felt like i was getting some small gains, but in the end it was only sucking hot air in even with a 'carbon fiber heat shield'. My brother has an E53 X5 with an AFE, and I'm going to rip the thing out. Again, it sounds pretty cool, but as for performance, I can tell it has lost some of its power over the stock airbox.
Which is why i went RPI scoop with BMC filter in my e60. +1 RPI.

Not to mention the countless times I've been told that all 'cold air intakes' are a waste of time and money by several different BMW Master Technicians.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Contributors

i too was trying my best NOT to post in this mess of a thread, but here goes...

i was the initial guinea pig to test fit the AFE HAI for the 535. boys at AFE gave me the same tour of their facility, impressive...yes. but choosing a performance mod, i'm not impressed with how pretty their facility is!

make a long story short, AFE HAI made me lose HP and plenty of low end torque. not to mention throwing multiple limp modes. interestingly enough, once i finally removed/threw out the intake....guess what, no more limp mode!! what a coinkidink!

AFE = FTL
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

You all in Socal better listen to him. After all, he's CHP.

Originally Posted by MacFly?' post='955674' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:48 AM
i too was trying my best NOT to post in this mess of a thread, but here goes...i was the initial guinea pig to test fit the AFE HAI for the 535. boys at AFE gave me the same tour of their facility, impressive...yes. but choosing a performance mod, i'm not impressed with how pretty their facility is!make a long story short, AFE HAI made me lose HP and plenty of low end torque. not to mention throwing multiple limp modes. interestingly enough, once i finally removed/threw out the intake....guess what, no more limp mode!! what a coinkidink!AFE = FTL
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='955682' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:58 AM
lmaooooooooo!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i sport package black on black, Dinan intake, Throttle body, Stage 3 programming Mtech body kit, 172 wheels wrapped in ps2's, 2nd set of wheels Breyton Race Gts silver also on ps2's....waiting on stoptech big brake kit, and dinan exhaust...

lol, after reading all of that, i feel like i just watched an episode of jerry springer
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='952117
And, as an aside, since I consult for small businesses as my other job, I'm going to offer you a word of advice. Never promote your product at the expense of your competitor's. Look on the front page of your website:

Clearly, your entire corporate philosophy is "our product is better" - which is fine. But instead of emphasizing how your product is better, you've continually emphasized that other products are worse.

You know who else does that? Microsoft.

Did you read the front page of the Wall Street Journal today? They've posted a 29% LOSS in sales despite mounting a MASSIVE and wildly expensive ad campaign against Apple in the "You find it, you buy it" campaign (which smears Apple products).
Granted, Apple is guilty of this too, but the point remains valid.

Your strategy may have worked this far but it won't take long for customers to realize they're being manipulated, and they will (yes, will) lose respect for you and your company. Ceteris Paribus.
The problem with your analogy here is that Microsoft products are inferior to Apple [in general] -- unlike RPI, whose products actually produce real results.

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='953086
LOL. The only thing that silence from Jlevi and aFe proves is that we have multimillion dollar businesses to run, and customers who deserve our full attention. I'm glad other people have time to street race and bash on the forums... I don't. The thought that you challenged a reputable manufacturer of aFe's size to a "street race" or "challenge" just gives me the chuckles. What self-respecting business would agree to that? Again, comparing products is a no-no. *Rolls up newspaper and goes looking for someone at RPI* Learn to sell your products based on their own merits. I can't emphasize that enough.

The suggestion that Jlevi doesn't know how to modify cars... eh. I have trophies and magazine articles to prove otherwise.

Regardless, I'm willing to concede that maybe RPI's design for the E60 is better. After all, to err is human. However, I still think it's ludicrous to suggest that the intake loses power, and I intend to find proof to the contrary.

Until then, however, I'm tabling this discussion. I had no intent of calling out competitors, and I have no intent of dealing with diatribe here.

As for this thread hurting our business... I think we'll be OK. We are honest, hardworking people who serve thousands of satisfied BMW enthusiasts every year. We'll get by, even if many of you don't agree with our choice to support aFe.

Thanks all
JL
What a quitter ... AFE pawn.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='954019' date='Jul 25 2009, 10:13 AM
Okay allow Grand Poobah to comment here.

Jon, you may not think this will hurt your business or maybe the members on this forum are insignificant to your enormous customer base from your multi-million dollar business but that just shows your poor judgement. I certainly do not wish your business to falter but the big mistake you made here is that you're alienating potential customers while trying to defend a supplier yet I don't believe you personally have any solid, personal proof as to the validity of their products....only pictures of a large and well run facility.

Look at Trinity Autosport. They were also selling AFE products but when real world results came out showing problems with the intakes, they didn't sit there and defend AFE, they sided with their customers and tried to rectify the situation. I think it was Trinity who also asked for the AFE executive to get on this board to address the concerns which demonstrated a fair and unbiased approach to dealing with the problems. That's far from what you're doing. You could have simply stated that you can get or do have proof that AFE products work and produced them instead of posting some of the argumentative and condescending remarks to members here.

I guess your purpose is to stand behind products that you sell and although that stance is admirable of a vendor in certain cases, it's not the case here. You lost me as a potential customer as well.
Yeah! What Tony, EuroCarHam said!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='952952' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:37 PM
Heat shields are used to block and reduce radiant heat. They do nothing to protect an intake from under hood temperatures. If you turn the heater on in your house, would a heat shield surrounding you keep you cool? On the other hand if you are standing right in front of the fire place, the heat shield will limit the amount of radiant heat you are getting directly.

I hope you really dont believe this because if you really do, you might be in the wrong business as this is one of the most important things about engine tuning. Air density, temperature and ignition timing all go hand in hand.

BTW, the car does not need time to adjust. The only adjusting this thing does is loose power because the DME WILL pull ignition timing as underhood temperatures rise. You DONT need any adjustment period with ANY of the RPi products. Talk is talk, but we already know what happens during real races.

Here is an AFE intake taken off a car. Not only did he dyno much less than a stock M5, he also got his ass handed to him on a race against a STOCK M5. I formaly invite you to come out to our next dyno day and we can do some dyno test as well as actual runs in real world conditions. Who, with an AFE intake has ever beaten another car with a stock intake?
Good one
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='953086' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:20 AM
On every other forums, members have been enjoying the thread for what it is - only E60.net has to make this a product comparison and sabotage our thread.
I missed this post so thanks for bringing it up Frank. I'm stunned by how ridiculous it sounded.

How do you expect people to "enjoy" a thread for what it is when so many people here have had such bad experiences with that product? It's like posting pictures of the Enron building to show how big and well decorated it is and expect people to who's lost millions to ignore that fact and compliment the pictures???
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='955682' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:58 AM
TFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='955721' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:30 PM
I missed this post so thanks for bringing it up Frank. I'm stunned by how ridiculous it sounded.

How do you expect people to "enjoy" a thread for what it is when so many people here have had such bad experiences with that product? It's like posting pictures of the Enron building to show how big and well decorated it is and expect people to who's lost millions to ignore that fact and compliment the pictures???
Great point on Enron.

Quick Reply: Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos