E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='336709' date='Sep 20 2006, 11:25 AM
how can you tell one has prof. radio or bus. radio?
Does yours show MP3 info? If it does you have prof. radio. If it doesn't, you probably have bus. radio. But judging by all the other options you've got on your car, I would say you probably have prof. radio.
Old 09-20-2006 | 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Don't get me wrong, I think it is bad service, and it does suck that BMW dealers are not very bright and we get crappy service from some of them. I'm just trying to say that if you like BMW, you need to be smarter than dealers. This isn't something you can't change, so, adapt. Yes, Infinity service might be better (not from my experience tough), and crappy $10K Kia might have MP3 player standard, but they are not BMW 5 series... I share your frustration since i had my share of terrible dealer service just few weeks ago...But I still prefer BMW to most other cars because of the car itself.
Old 09-20-2006 | 11:59 AM
Contributors

That is all I'm saying.... Infiniti you go to there service department and they would kiss your butt they would give you a free loaner for anything, if you where just getting an oil change and needed to run to the store or something , be my guest take an infiniti.. they would wash and clean the inside and outside of your car ..... great service .....

Thats your particular dealer...not all of BMW.

You will also find Infiniti and Lexus dealers that tell you to go pound sand while you wait for them to do an oil change.
Old 09-20-2006 | 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

John,

An upcoming software update will address the compatibility issue and will make your car fully compatible with the interface. I was told this directly by BMWNA as it impacted my previous vehicle. Progman 23 was released this week, I am not sure if it contains the required update for the early production E60's.

FWIW, the press release by BMWNA in August stated that compatibility started with 03/05 production. Your dealer is either uniformed or not telling you the truth if they told you they only just found out about it.
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

John007

"OK showed me some paper and come to find out my car's build date is 11/04 and that non nav car's with build date of 03/05 (it was ether 03 or 04 I got so mad at that point I forgot) and that as of right now I wouldn't be able to get it, and that this info just came out today (yesterday 09/19)...

I am so upset I spend 50 plus on a car that I can't play MP3's (I think even Honda's can play them for pete sake) and that I can't even pay $300 of my own money plus what ever they charge me for putting the thing in, plus losing a 6 disk cd player that i paid extra for, because my car was made 4 months early.... "

It is hard to tell what specifically you want. You seem to mix funtions, hardware and capability.

MP3 can be had 3 ways:
1) MP3 via CD single slot and via NAV DVD (if u have NAV) dating back to Start of Production (SOP) via retrofit - however, some limitations if u do not have nav
2) Aux Input via retrofit, fed by any device capable of MP3 playback (iPod or other brands) - NAV or no NAV
3) iPod MOST Bus interface, but again some limitations currently if you do not have nav.

So can can get some kind of MP3 capability just not all of them as it stands right now.

You must know the your dealer is not very sharp as we now have many iPod MOST integrated systems running on e60/63/90 as far back as late August. So BMW has had the kits despite what your dealer told you.
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:51 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 550 - sports package, nav, heads up, comfort seats, front heated seats, sirus sat, premium sound, comfort access, fold down seats, Blk sapphire metalic, ED 1977 530, 1981 320i, 1987 325i, 1992 535i, 2002 330i

Originally Posted by John007' post='336638' date='Sep 20 2006, 11:21 AM
OK very upset, brought my car in for service yesterday for minor stuff... Needed break fluid replaced and my doors where still making noises after the last time they fixed the seals. My service guy still had on file that I asked about the ipod kid, I never onced mentioned it.

When I got there he started talking to me about the kit and said that they had numbers for it but bmw still hasn't actually gotten the kit and he would keep me up to date since I was the first person to ask him about it when bmw first was mentioned about it...

OK that night got a call that my car was done and all set to pick up and that he had some "bad" news about the ipod kit and he would show me when I got there.

OK showed me some paper and come to find out my car's build date is 11/04 and that non nav car's with build date of 03/05 (it was ether 03 or 04 I got so mad at that point I forgot) and that as of right now I wouldn't be able to get it, and that this info just came out today (yesterday 09/19)...

I am so upset I spend 50 plus on a car that I can't play MP3's (I think even Honda's can play them for pete sake) and that I can't even pay $300 of my own money plus what ever they charge me for putting the thing in, plus losing a 6 disk cd player that i paid extra for, because my car was made 4 months early.... I got a bmw 5 because every other car I have ever owned has always tried to be a 5 series (caddi SLS, Lexus 400, Lincoln LS, Infiniti I30) so I figure that why get an other car that wants to be a 5 series and just get a 5 series then I find out this crap, I mean this stinks.... I know it isn't that big of a deal but I'm so sick of making CD's with a 19 to 20 songs and listing to it over and over again when if I got say a M35 or an other GS I could just make a MP3 CD with what 170 songs on it?? I thought I was buying the best of the best....

plus not to change the subject but why would I have to bring my car in AGAIN to have the doors/windows fixed again? I read the paper work when my car was down and they said "both front door seals where replaced on last visit but were replaced w/ old style seals. Replaced all 4 door seals made with epdm + polyesterflock as per SIB 51 02 05." I mean how long was the new replacement been out? I had this done maybe a little over a month ago and I know that you guys have been saying about the new replacement for a while now so they should have known abou that no? Last thing how come every other car company puts you in a loaner car of there own? Lexus always put me in an other Lexus, Infiniti always put me into an other Infiniti, even Lincoln somtimes put me into an other Lincoln (but not all the time but still) what does BMW put me into???? a Kia??? Not to be a snob but I go from a 05 bmw 5 series to a Kia covered in cloth?
Got my new ipod installed today - works perfect. Idrive screen looks exactly like my Ipod screen. Who needs the 6 CD player - it's obsolete. Good luck on your problems, just wanted everyone to know it can be done