E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed RPI exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys-I think its safe to say 3 plus years ago almost! I appreciate you not banning me. When I got home today I thought forsure I was banned but good to see I was not and was able to post. So yes will keep on topic.

Everything worked out just fine and ended up figuring a few extra things out along the way but none that were stumbling bocks, just more like "obviously!" moments.

I have to say however RPI, it had nothing to do with me on the ground. I had the car jacked on one side and had plenty of room. Not necesarrily the best angle to do things but clamping the pipes together and even cutting them with a power saw (tried a pipe cutter to no avail-then got out a power tool and blazed through it!)

However the install is dead straight, lines up perfectly, it just simply hangs low and I have read that in another thread but I cannot remember where. This may be personal preference and is not a big deal however I have to disagree with you that because your exhaust is lighter that you do not need that hanger. The hanger is there largely to keep the resonator which is near by, hanging up high. That is still a heavy piece and by removing this hanger you basically eliminate that.

The weight savings (which is HUGE-21 pounds by the way-I weighed!) is primarly in the muffler/tips area. This weight is supported 99 percent by the first two hangers. After this, the stretch of pipe, is marginally heavier than your stretch of pipe but your weight savings is mostly in the muffler piece.

Point is the purpose of the third hanger is not really to handle the weight of the piping between the second and third hanger, it is more to handle the weight of the resonator and surrounding inches/feet of piping since the next hanger odwn line is quite distal to the resonator.

So while you are correct about the weight, the weight of the remaining pipe, especially after you factor out how much is supported by the first two hangers is really no different than the weight of the OEM pipe at that point since as stated, the majority of extra weight is using the rear two to support it.

It clearly hangs lower, not a big deal, just something I think would be helpful is to have a little hanger attached there but if you disagree, and you are the expert, not me, then I will leave it at that.

But aside from those few quirks, I forgot to mention the tips look awesome! They stick out just right, look amazing and the size is incredible. I will post pictures and videos and a DIY this weekend for the amateurz who need a more play by play like I really needed

Is there any worry that the big tips will cause the plastic around them to overheat?? The way mine is spaced there is equally about 1/2 inch of space on top and the two sides of the exhaust from the metal and plastic.

Anyway, I apologize for any comments regarding RPI as you have to keep in mind if you bought any other brand, they would not even have customer service so the fact 99 percent of people had a good experience with great customer service, then my experience is clearly a fluke.

Ok thanks again!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I think we might need to welcome you into the E60 Village People group.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Good job Diamond. I'm glad you're aware that we're giving you a chance at a new life here but the same rules apply to you that apply to everyone else -- stay focused, no name calling or personal attacks, etc. Unfortunately, based on your history, you may be under more of a microsope not just by the mods and admins, but by the general population as well. Keep things clean and we'll all laugh about this some day at one of the meets...

That said, why not post a new topic -- maybe in the new member introductions section -- that comes clean and tells us about what car you have, etc. Obviously, you only have to talk about personal stuff you're comfortable with but I know early on you gave us some info on being from Arizona and then moving to Columbus. I assume from some of your recent pics that you're still there and as I said earlier in the thread you'd probably like to forget, there is a meet happening out that way so you may want to check that out.

I think many of the veterans, as well as the newbs, will be interested in learning (or confirming) what car you have now, what mods, you have, etc.

Basically, I think you should re-introduce yourself and maybe make some friends in the process!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

I installed the RPI I bought from Krozi 1 week ago. The sound is ridiculous... Absolutely perfect! That being said... The fitment hangs too low for me also. I bought new stock hangers but haven't replaced them yet. I will update after I have done this. Here's some clips. Don't laugh at the second one. It was late at night and buddy wanted a clip so I took it in the dark by myself. :
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Thanks guys-I was in a completely different part of my life. Ok for one my spelling and grammar stinks on the computer, I dont know if that will change but bare with me

Pretty lame I will admit, especially since I am a Psychiatrist, but the last few years (4 or 5) I was a much angrier unhappy person in general and I am not surprised it filtered even down to online posts. I am much past all that, and while I do not remember exact posts, it clearly does not surprise me one bit that my behavior and anger at the world showed up on e60.net. My mum got cancer and had about a million complicating factors that nobody wants to hear about happen in too short of a time frame a few years back and my brand new bmw at the time was the one saving grace and happy point in my life.

I drempt of owning a bmw since I was 11 and an e60 since it was instroduced in 02 and I was 21. Unfortunately it was one of my coping mechanisms to trade in a paid off chev tracker and drive home in a brand new 07 530. Dream come true. However like allll of you, personal crisis intervened and just took a turn for the worse so anger in life struck and unhappiness in many ways as a person.

So as sad as that is to look back on, and even more sad is that I have stuck around and read this board since then, I am ok to admit it and am glad to say I am at such a better point in life. My mum survived lung cancer and is doing well, I am in a residency in columbus with 1 year to go until done and things are going great and I am able to now enjoy my BMW without the baggage and stress of badness in life instead of using it as my escape. I guess better my bmw than alcohol or drugs but I am glad now to just be able to enjoy it. Maybe I will cut and paste this in the new member forum as its a pretty good summary.

I have no use in flaming or being rude. I still am the type to speak my mind but realized if it is hurtful or not helpful, then there is no point, so that will not be a problem.

So with that said, and for people reading and either laughing or not having a clue what I am talking about, I appreciate the chance to remain, I hope people can forgive and move on, and my love has grown so much for my bmw that I really would love to have some friends out this way who are into their cars-I do not know a soul out here into bmw's!

So anyway I realized there are not all that many pictures of RPI exhausts on the board from the rear, not on a jack/lift! I searched but came up with no good shots. Here is a link anyways, if anyone cares to look. This is how my RPI looked before i switched rubber hangers and now mine is raised probably 1/2 an inch from what it was and what is in this link. You can acheive the same look/result by simply taking the hanger attached to the muffler out of the hole, and rotating the hanger 45 degrees, and using the other "space" in the hanger that is not technically for us but will work. To me it looks better a little higher up.

With that said I cant wait to post videos and pictures, I am very very very pleased. I was one of the initial AFE intake people. At that time I had both Remus and Supersprint exhausts in and very recently I was back to stock. I actually had not read this board for 10 months and when I came on, I found all that info about AFE and took it out immediatly. While stock was quiet-it was no fun anymore. Honestly a HUGE reason I really enjoyed driving was the amazing sound the AFE and exhaust produced.

WIthout either I found myself always listening to music whereas I never did before-I would just enjoy the sound of the intake/exhaust. Well now I am happy to be back to being able to enjoy a sweeeter than ever exhaust, scoop and KN filter sound-without the loss in power!

My car/mods-2007 530i with RPI exhaust, RPI scoop/KN filter, VMR csl wheels and euro stickers up front on a jetblack Sport car.

I will put this in new members but that is me. I am unfortunately in Columbus where the winters are long but only 1.5 years to go until I am back in phoenix where 12 months of sun await!

Thanks again guys-if any 530's have specific questions about install or sound or whatever post or give me a message and I will be more than happy to chat!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good.
Good your mom survived the lung cancer!

Just stay calm, don't do stupid things and everything is OK.
This great family can forgive, all though some things are never going to be forgotten, such as a foglights thread...

See?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 2006 BMW 530i with sport and prem package, staggered 124 wheels, 50% tint, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black interior w/ alum trim set, M style body kit and sound upgrade: Alpine PDX-5, PXE-H660, sub, MBQuart speakers.

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='1016260' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:45 PM
Pretty lame I will admit, especially since I am a Psychiatrist
I understand all the issues and it's all good, but I'm extremely concerned about what accredited university he got a Psychiatry diploma from... omg this country is royally screwed, and I'm being seriuos
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LeuS' post='1016528' date='Sep 24 2009, 11:41 PM
I understand all the issues and it's all good, but I'm extremely concerned about what accredited university he got a Psychiatry diploma from... omg this country is royally screwed, and I'm being seriuos

Perhaps he meant to say he is seeing a psychiatrist. Silly spelling and grammar mistakes. Let it slide.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E60714' post='1016633' date='Sep 25 2009, 12:40 PM
Silly spelling and grammar mistakes. Let it slide.
Installed RPI exhaust today-spell_trans.gif

Quick Reply: Installed RPI exhaust today