E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed RPI exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am in no way able to keep up with my other thread and what I had to say was said. Today I decided to save 60 bucks and install the exhaust myself-well that was a mistake as I did not have a good tool to cut metal-otherwise it would have been much easier-and oh ya I did not have a lift-so did everything sliding under the car-would have been a 60 bucks well spent-but I also hate the way others do work-especially an exhaust shop I have no clue about-so I am more careful when I do it. Some points-

1. The fitment is not good at all for a couple reasons. The RPI exhaust has no third hanger whereas the OEM does-it is a hanger right before where you cut the OEM and six inches from the resonator-as I thought once attached with RPI the resonator and piping sags WAY too low-I am going to attach a hanger because it is necessary. Does not matter that RPI is lighter because the weight at this junction is more so from the OEM pipe and resonator which was being largely supported by the hanger that I just lopped off which was on the OEM pipe-so RPI should have designed it with an extra hanger near where it attaches forsure.

2. Using your bmw OEM hangers the exhaust/tips hang WAY WAY WAY too low. Looks ridiculous. I had to go to the auto parts store and by some smaller hangers-meaning less distance between the metal hanger and the exhaust hanger-that way it pulls up the exhaust can/tips higher and closer to the plastic around the cutout-not too close but as close as even my stock exhaust was. I did this for both the hangers by the tips and the one at the end of the can.

So them saying you can use your OEM hangers is not true if you want a proper looking exhaust-You can use the OEM ones if you use them improperly-using the hole at the top for the metal hanger and then putting the exhaust hanger above the hole, into the center where there is an open area-I did not want to do this however as I wanted something more sturdy-but technically you can do this with your oem ones but then will have more vibration as it is not properly secured.

3.Length wise it fit great and now that I installed it, I am more clear on a few items-such as the band clamp you use is indeed a butt joint-the adapter piece gets banded to the OEM piping-the adapter does not slide into the OEM pipe-that is what I could not decipher on the website.

Now to performance/sound-I do LOVE it-sounds ridiculously amazing and very happy with the sound. Do not notice power gain or loss which is fine by me-I was happy with the power before this-did it for sound alone with hopes of not losing power as I did with my remus and Supersprint. SO much better than remus and supersprint and it is great.

A bit more vibration in the cabin/seats than stock but acceptable. Mild drone and cabin noise compared to OEM stock I6 exhaust but again oem especially in the 530 is made for quietness-I could hardly tell my car was on with OEM stuff it was so quiet and did not vibrate an ounce. But this is acceptable and part of changing an exhaust to higher flowing.

So all in all RPI delivered on their product-I am not going to Dyno the thing for now but I would highly recomend adding a third hanger before you strap the thing on-will likely have to weld it on but if you are going to an exhaust shop anyway that should not be a problem. Also should get some different hangers-as I said shorter ones-atleast 2 of them if you want your exhaust to look right. Otherwise it sticks out just the right amount length wise.

Overally really happy with the products performance and sound-disapointed with the design and fitment-but build quality is very good-So definetly something I would buy if you are looking for an exhaust but I do wish would have went with Eisennman race-I have heard the race eisenmann on a 530 and it sounded amazing as well, fits MUCH better and easier-however power loss or gain is unkown-so that is teh downside. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Hmmm ... Sleepyca31 again ...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Well, I'm still not sure about all the mounting issues..etc...from your previous thread to this one but I'm glad you finally got it installed and liking the exhaust.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

There you are. Glad you fixed the problem, Sleepyca. You're famous, dude.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

How about some pics of the new exhaust?

A sound clip would be good as well
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Whenever you try to install something on the ground without a lift, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Ease of install, fitment and adjustment is tough while working under a car on jack stands, etc. The mid hanger is not used because of the weight difference. Our exhaust weighs much less and the mid hanger is just behind a straight part of the exhaust. Cutting in the straight area allows for easier re-installation of the stock exhaust with simply a band clamp. After the hanger, the tubing begins to bend and that is WHY we didnt require you to cut after that. The angle of the cut and clamped clocked degree will effect how the exhaust tips sit relative to the bumper.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Let's all try and keep this thread on topic. As most of you know from the other thread, I think most of us want to allow Diamond to stick around here and hopefully be able to peacefully coexist with the rest of our membership.

Since he started this topic, it seems to me that he's showing us that he's willing to give it a try so let's all try and keep things civil, etc.

Diamond, thanks for posting this update. I hope you can see past the bit of kidding that many of us are participating in -- you are, in fact, a "living legend" around here so I suppose it goes with the territory.

Keep up your civilized posting behavior and I have to believe that eventually, the kidding may go away and we can all live happily ever after...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

I'm glad you finally got it taken care of and you liking the exhaust
Old 09-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1016165' date='Sep 25 2009, 12:10 AM
Let's all try and keep this thread on topic. As most of you know from the other thread, I think most of us want to allow Diamond to stick around here and hopefully be able to peacefully coexist with the rest of our membership.

Since he started this topic, it seems to me that he's showing us that he's willing to give it a try so let's all try and keep things civil, etc.

Diamond, thanks for posting this update. I hope you can see past the bit of kidding that many of us are participating in -- you are, in fact, a "living legend" around here so I suppose it goes with the territory.

Keep up your civilized posting behavior and I have to believe that eventually, the kidding may go away and we can all live happily ever after...
Yep, I agree with Rudy and just want to add one more thing, seriously:

Installed RPI exhaust today-post_angel.gif
Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1016155' date='Sep 24 2009, 05:58 PM
How about some pics of the new exhaust?

A sound clip would be good as well
+1

Quick Reply: Installed RPI exhaust today