E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed aftermaked speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I know why the sound was so lacking: NO TWEETER, jJust one 4" mid-range speaker element. I knew it would be just one speaker in the standard (euro) setup, but I thought it would be a coax type.

Swapped out the stock Philips speakers with Infinity Kappa coax elements (what they had at hand of quality at the local car audio shop... paid $250 for a pair, but I see them online for $60-70.. ). Had to manufacture a bracket so that the new elements baffle did not touch the grill, and to tighten it down as only two of the original three bolts could be reused. 10 mins with a Dremmel. Opening the door panels was easy (with instructions found on this board). I hacked off the plug from the original speakers, and soldered it to the external crossover that came with the Kappas.

Sound? AMAZING! Totally lifted the sound quality to a new dimension! The imaging is not too good though. Its easy to add separate tweeters as the crossover is external, so I might try that in the future to improve the imaging - but the overall sound quality is now excellent!

A
Old 07-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got WDS, and found that the speakers underneat the seats are paralleled to the speakers in the doors. There is output (probably differential line level) for subwoofers on the M-ASK/CCC used by the HIFI (standard US) amp, so using these outputs to power a seperate amp for the woofers (like in HIFI) is next on my list. ...that is, if they are enabled by default and not only if you have the HIFI-option.

A