E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, sport, prem

Thanks a lot guys... we collaborated on ideas, and Erik built the tips for me. Its a custom exhaust setup... starting with a used set of pipes bought from someone parting out his ride on the forums here.

Just straight pipe ( i think 3"?) back from the DP's, and into glass pack resonators originally. It was so obnoxiously loud, I don't know how anyone could have stood them, (but he might not have had DP's at the time, so maybe with stock primary cats they sounded better... don't know). But with my DP's, it literally sounded like the car had flatulence issues, and was just unbearably loud at all RPM's/speeds.

Erik redid all of the welds and bends to improve flow. We swapped out the glass-pack resonators for a brand of muffler the local muffler shop said was pretty new... sorry, I'll have to check with them what brand it was again. I thought he said something like Rocket, but that can't be right. But they have a design inside very similar to Magnaflow. And they were pretty much the widest ones we could fit into the little nook on the right-hand side. It sounded WAY better, bit of rasp but flatulence fixed, but still too loud.

So the secondary cats went back on, and that helped a bit. I'm happy with the sound now, loud but not crazy loud when you're not really gunning it. Cold start is pretty loud but it quiets down to near stock level once the engine warms up. There's an annoying drone at highway speed cruising in 6th, but it's okay. I may think about adding in an x-pipe (or something similar to the stock resonator with dual inlet/outlet) some day... or researching to find different mufflers that fit, but for now I'm happy with it. I still have to hear the car driven by someone else, (both on the road and drive by). So I'll know more this week.

So i'm running AR design high-flow catted DP's down to stock secondaries, and then straight pipe back to the narrow form factor mufflers. from mufflers back to tips is stainless steel, and all painted black.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Members

by the way, here's a few pics of the trunk mounted meth reservoir and pump cover Erik made me.
Attached Thumbnails I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_20121207_165534.jpg   I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_20121207_165614.jpg   I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_20121207_173301.jpg   I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_20121207_180756.jpg   I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_20121207_181107.jpg  

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Members

Default Videos on Google+

Hi, here are some videos clips with sound. Not great sound, but sound. Let me know if they are viewable or not.

Cold Start in the morning (phone was too close)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-p...210_084713.mp4

Off-throttle drive-by (opposite side of street)...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z...210_142842.mp4

Near-side drive-by with disgruntled passersby
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-t...210_142938.mp4
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Members

do you guys think theres any way i can modificater that front lip to fit an 05 i cant seem to find anything for the pre lci that looks this good?maybe cutting it so the ends of "the sad face" on the bumper can fit it
Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by pdubq
Alright!!! So the lip came today... i have to say, they shipped out immediately, packaged pretty well (except the bolt bag was left open, so bolts/nuts loose in the box), but lip wrapped well with soft wrap.

To me quality seems great... looks good, bottom side is sanded/painted, not polished. but visible top part is beautifully polished. I'm taking their word, then, that bottom is carbon-fiber, not fiberglass or some other material, but that's fine, looks great and feels about 4-5 lbs. I think it's two pieces glued together, (top/bottom). Doesn't seem flimsy at all, totally solid and durable. I love how it accentuates the 'smiley face' grill of the lci e60, with the similarly curved ends... and its a pretty subtle mod.

My mech friend Erik (seen in the photos) will probably install it for me tomorrow... since my car is living at his shop for a while... have a list of things to do that i've accumulated (oil leak diagnosis/fix, control arm bushings, suspension, cat-back exhaust, and topping it off with the Vishnu PWM Meth kit!). But here are some rough photos for a first glimpse:
hows this lip holding up?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDeezyNYC
hows this lip holding up?
Pretty wonderfully! I'm happy with it.

ONly issues,
1.) tow truck driver not listening to me on using the attachment on bumper to load it up... he went for front axle, and i warned him he's going to f* it up... and he did. Notice the little wear on the center. But not too bad.... company paid me $350 or something for the damage, and i just pocketed it, because not that noticable I thought.

2.) some difficult entrance/exits to parking lots when leaving in a rush scrapes bottom a bit, but never any issue of notable damage there.

3.) on driver side, pulled to close to a curb once I think causing a scratch.

So yeah, no issues besides human error. Carbon fiber still looks great, holding fine, not changing shape or falling off from bumper, (but it is connected with bolts very well)
Attached Thumbnails I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_0482.jpg   I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_0483.jpg   I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...-img_0485.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 09:51 AM
New Members

Pretty wonderfully! I'm happy with it.

ONly issues,
1.) tow truck driver not listening to me on using the attachment on bumper to load it up... he went for front axle, and i warned him he's going to f* it up... and he did. Notice the little wear on the center. But not too bad.... company paid me $350 or something for the damage, and i just pocketed it, because not that noticable I thought.

2.) some difficult entrance/exits to parking lots when leaving in a rush scrapes bottom a bit, but never any issue of notable damage there.

3.) on driver side, pulled to close to a curb once I think causing a scratch.

So yeah, no issues besides human error. Carbon fiber still looks great, holding fine, not changing shape or falling off from bumper, (but it is connected with bolts very well)

awesome! thanks for the update man! The fitment looks funny to me but I guess the pros will handle my install. Should be able to mount this weekend.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Members

awesome, good luck with the install!!!

Post some pics when you get 'er back!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 PM
New Members

awesome, good luck with the install!!!

Post some pics when you get 'er back!

I'm not having luck with this thing. At first I thought it was just me but now 3 diff people have now told me it doesn't fit right. One person suggested heating it up for it to fit flush.

the top surface of the lip doesn't sit flush with the underpart of the bumper. I dont understand.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Members

Damn... did you get the Carbon fiber one or Plastic?

I heard of issues with plastic, but not with CF. and my CF didn't need any modifications, fit the bumper, unmodified, no problem.

Quick Reply: I really want to get a MTech bodykit, but I'm a bit broke...