E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help please - BMW E60 retrofit folding side mirrors with self dimming

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 520d Step Auto
Smile

I am sorry about the missing information. The car is a September 2009 LCI. I did not see any LED's under the mirror. However I am not sure if I was looking in the right place. Would it be possible to upload a pic so that I can confirm if the LED is there or not?

I have seen a couple of folding mirrors on eBay for £300 each. Link as below

BMW 5 SERIES E60/E61 LCI POWER FOLDING AUTO DIPPING WING MIRROR O/S (DARK BLUE) | eBay

Can you please tell me if these will fit my E60 LCI? Also in terms of wiring & coding is it expensive? I have seen the panel with the additional switch on eBay for around £50, so that is fine.

Originally Posted by awt
First of all, no one outside of the UK understands what an "59 plate" is, or any other plate for that matter.

Anyway, you need new mirrors which have the folding option. You can buy these from eBay, your BMW parts dealer etc.They do need coding, and if you don't have LEDs under the mirrors, you need to do something about the wiring aswell. I will also recommend you to get the mirror folding button, whick requires a new control panel for the window switches (not needed if you only want the folding to work with the key). The mirrors folds on locking if you code them to do this.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

If you haven't seen the LEDs, you probably don't have them. They light up when you unlock the car.

If your car is produces in september 2009, it's a 2010 model.

That mirror should fit just fine, just bare in mind that the mirror shape changed in september 2009 (they got a bit bigger, but the functions and fit are the same), so just be sure that you buy two that looks the same.

...but I'd rather go for the M5 mirrors (choose the ones before september 2009, they look a lot "smoother"), it's the same amount of work, and a huge difference.

I would also consider to buy mirrors with the LED lights while your at it, it's a nice feature (on the M5 mirrors, these are standard).

I don't know what coding and wiring would cost, as I do all that stuff myself, and I'm in a country where everything's probably twice or triple the price of what you need to pay.

Here's a picture of my retrofitted M5 mirrors with puddle lights:

Name:  fdbf168e-3b8e-448f-a8bf-e8b1ef2dfac1_zps005c1f07.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  158.6 KB

Last edited by awt; 12-05-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 520d Step Auto

They do look nice and the fact that they are black means they do go along with any body colour. I might go hunting for them.

Anyone in the UK who could do this? I will be grateful if I could get a quote/ advise on how and where this can be done.

Thanks

eMathewJose

Originally Posted by awt
If you haven't seen the LEDs, you probably don't have them. They light up when you unlock the car.

If your car is produces in september 2009, it's a 2010 model.

That mirror should fit just fine, just bare in mind that the mirror shape changed in september 2009 (they got a bit bigger, but the functions and fit are the same), so just be sure that you buy two that looks the same.

...but I'd rather go for the M5 mirrors (choose the ones before september 2009, they look a lot "smoother"), it's the same amount of work, and a huge difference.

I would also consider to buy mirrors with the LED lights while your at it, it's a nice feature (on the M5 mirrors, these are standard).

I don't know what coding and wiring would cost, as I do all that stuff myself, and I'm in a country where everything's probably twice or triple the price of what you need to pay.

Here's a picture of my retrofitted M5 mirrors with puddle lights:

Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw 525d

What about BMW E60 for 2004 is it just plug & Play then coding ?

Last edited by Ghizzaui; 12-06-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60

Hello
I know is a old threat but i have some questions
I drive a bmw e60 product in 07/2004. Now i have standard mirrors but i want to buy a full electric mirrors ( with autofolding, autodimming and puddle light). I found a pair of that mirrors by a 2004 bmw e60 RHD car. My car is LHD
So after i read this topic i understand that mirrors will fit fine. But where go the pink connector. The new mirrors have 3 connectors
And after fit and coding it will have autofolding mirrors with key fob? ( not only folding by the door switch) or this options is available only for car after 09/2005?
My passenger mirror will tilt when reverse?

Thank you

Last edited by aadriann; 09-12-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Lci

if you have an LHD car and have got RHD mirrors, I suggest you sell them before you start wasting your time and money.

Trust me I learnt the hard way.

LHD and RHD are set at very slightly different angles so as a result when driving you will not be able to actually use your mirrors
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 AM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

It's only the base that's different, so if you have the same mirrors (like non-M5), you can swap the base.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Members

its not the actual housing that is different the mirrors are the same.

If you stand behind your car and look at it you will see that the mirrors are at a slightly different angle.

The actual Mirror is the same
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60

But i can change the glass mirror from a LHD car
Yes it is a non M5
So besides the fact that mirror glass will have a different angle, they will work fine?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Members

yes it will all fit and it will technically all work, but actually using them is a completely different story.

Quick Reply: Help please - BMW E60 retrofit folding side mirrors with self dimming