5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Help please - BMW E60 retrofit folding side mirrors with self dimming (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/help-please-bmw-e60-retrofit-folding-side-mirrors-self-dimming-111078/)

530D Lee 03-14-2011 02:22 AM

Ok as per title I have just purchased some electric folding and self tinting side mirrors for my production date 2005-02-03 E60 530D.

Now I only have the standard window switch without the mirror fold button, is this the only new part I require to make the folding mirrors work? I think I have read on here somewhere that my car might have the right looms already installed?

I will be going to my dealership to have the keys programmed also so the mirrors fold/unfold when the car is locked/unlocked.

Thanks for any advice.

BLooD 03-14-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 530D Lee (Post 1317074)
Ok as per title I have just purchased some electric folding and self tinting side mirrors for my production date 2005-02-03 E60 530D.

Now I only have the standard window switch without the mirror fold button, is this the only new part I require to make the folding mirrors work? I think I have read on here somewhere that my car might have the right looms already installed?

I will be going to my dealership to have the keys programmed also so the mirrors fold/unfold when the car is locked/unlocked.

Thanks for any advice.

You car has door modules which makes this job much easier than when I did mine (no door modules on mine), the modules will need coding for them to be able to control the new mirrors, it`s not as straight forward as you may be thinking it is.
Also and sorry to rain on your hopes but you may find the auto dimming will not work, to this day I have not been able to get the auto dim working and I still don`t know why. When you goto to get the key fob folding set argue the hell out of your SA as he will more than likely say it`s impossible, all they need to do is load up the car/key memory settings and set comfort folding active.

If you fancy a trip to grays, I can help fit the mirrors and do the coding for you. Let me know.

530D Lee 03-14-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLooD (Post 1317136)
You car has door modules which makes this job much easier than when I did mine (no door modules on mine), the modules will need coding for them to be able to control the new mirrors, it`s not as straight forward as you may be thinking it is.

Also and sorry to rain on your hopes but you may find the auto dimming will not work, to this day I have not been able to get the auto dim working and I still don`t know why.

So to summarise all that is needed is the window switch panel with mirror fold button and some coding? I am not overly fussed on the auto dim feature althoughit would be nice.

My local dealer has done the coding for someone else with auto fold mirrors and he has the bill still, so I will present that if they start scratching there heads!

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

BLooD 03-14-2011 11:46 AM

Yes it is, who`s doing the actual coding to enable the mirrors?

530D Lee 03-14-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BLooD (Post 1317242)
Yes it is, who`s doing the actual coding to enable the mirrors?

I was going to use Dick Lovett Swindon main dealer for the coding, however I might call upon your help once I have sourced the window switch panel, maybe some coding in exchange for beer :twoup:

BLooD 03-14-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 530D Lee (Post 1317248)
I was going to use Dick Lovett Swindon main dealer for the coding, however I might call upon your help once I have sourced the window switch panel, maybe some coding in exchange for beer :twoup:

What ever mate ill be glad to help out.

530D Lee 03-14-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by BLooD (Post 1317250)
What ever mate ill be glad to help out.

What a star, all I need now then is to find a window switch panel with the mirror fold button, know any going spare? otherwise a trip to the stealership I think :getlost:

BlaSTiWi 03-14-2011 12:05 PM

I don't have the window switch but I can fold my mirror from the remote key fob after coding, the window switch is only in use if you want to fold the mirror on demand.

530D Lee 03-14-2011 12:18 PM

Okay I might have sourced a LHD switch panel for my RHD car, is it possible to remove the actual switches from the plastic panel and maybe dremel out a square hole on my original panel and re insert the new switches?

BLooD 03-14-2011 12:19 PM

The switch block will separate from the panel.